New and looking for feedback

dlaul01

Established Member
Hello Everyone,

I just recently purchased a 99 SVT Cobra with 113,000 miles. The body is in good condition; the car wasn't touched much.

I previously owned an 89 LX 5.0, 93 GT 5.0, 95 Cobra Convertible, and 94 Mustang GT Coupe. I always have been a Mustang guy. Obviously, with marriage, kids, work, etc. I have not owned a Mustang in close to 15 years.

I am new to the 4.6 engine and this body style, so I am looking for help. My goal is a structurally sound Mustang that looks and sounds good and can get up. I am not the guy looking to have the fastest Mustang on the road.

I live in Pittsburgh, Pa. I purchased the car in Tennesee.

Below is what I have done to the car in the short time I have had it (about a month.)

- Borla S-Type Cat-Back
- NGK Spark Plugs
- FPP Ignition Coil Set
- New third brake light
- Mustang bumper insert

I am currently looking for an off-road x pipe but cannot find one to purchase. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I want one that will bolt up to the stock headers. Below are a few pictures of the car.

I am excited to get to know you all and appreciate all the feedback and help.

Picture
Picture

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The recent epa crackdown has made it hard to find stuff like off-road pipes then you have issues of trying to find someone to tune it as well.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
You'll have to find the o/r x pipe in a classifieds section here or elsewhere. They've been outlawed. My advice would be to keep the engine as stock as possible to avoid custom tuning which has also recently gotten the squeeze put on it. Keep your stock parts, especially the mid pipe for possible inspection issues. It's a new game now for a lot of places in the US and looks like it could be the entire country, eventually.

Good luck and congrats on getting back in the saddle!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So the previous owner swapped to a 2003/2004 Cobra hood and bumper.

Do you absolutely have to have an offroad X? I'd just go with an aftermarket X-pipe or H-pipe (depending on the sound you're looking for) and call it a day. JMO.

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I've had an OR Bassani on my car (and magnaflow catback) for 15+ years now. I still have my stock H pipe and would prefer that to the smell of the OR one. But I'm too lazy to swap it back. Guess I'm getting old...

Oddly in IL my car passes emissions even with the OR x pipe on the car. Smells like gas in the bay but they plug it in and since no CEL it's good to go (2 bucks in resistors in the rear O2s). I'm also eaton swapped so my car is tuned. Just gotta make it 5 more years and it will be considered a classic and exempt from emissions.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's great that it "sneaks" by with emissions. My favorite mid-pipe, although I never used it, with the MRT. I love the sound of that H-pipe vs. an X-pipe.

ToddW702

Established Member
Looks like your coming along pretty good. The car is going to look a lot better with the stance and wheels. Black wheels are starting to get played out a bit. It seems like bronze is the new black.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dlaul01

Established Member
I wanted to share with everyone some updates made on the car since I purchased it and some whats next parts.

Also, I wanted to ask you all, what do you feel is the best intake for this car?

Screen Shot 2021-09-19 at 3.59.55 PM.png

Picture 1
Picture 2

-----------
Future Parts

Energy Suspension 4. 1127G Motor Mounts
FPP 4.10 Gear Kit
Steeda Underdrive Pullies

shurur

Established Member
First best mod for our cars: MM subframe connectors!! Or actual subframes like Stifflers or Global West.

The stiffler system works with MM subframes and they sell their own.

Subframe connectors may be enough.
There is a reason that road racers call the center of the mustang "the fifth spring" or "the pie tin."

Also get a shifter.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
First best mod for our cars: MM subframe connectors!! Or actual subframes like Stifflers or Global West.

The stiffler system works with MM subframes and they sell their own.

Subframe connectors may be enough.
There is a reason that road racers call the center of the mustang "the fifth spring" or "the pie tin."

Also get a shifter.

this and I wish mine had jacking rails too. I might have to look into what Stifflers is offering that would work with my MM connectors

shurur

Established Member
this and I wish mine had jacking rails too. I might have to look into what Stifflers is offering that would work with my MM connectors
Yup..call them..their system takes over where the MM left off. Quite ingenious of them.

Stifflers is recommended by FTBR.

I got the GW subframe in Summer 2007 after driving the Audi all Winter and experiencing a car with a real frame.

Last edited:

dlaul01

Established Member
HELP!

So the build continues. The car is currently getting the following installed.

New Side Scoops
Side scoops painted white
Energy Suspension 4.1127R - Energy Suspension Motor Mount
FPP 4.10 Gear Kit
BBK Underdrive Pulleys
Power Stop Z26 Stree Warrior Brake Kit
Brake Master Cylinder
H&R Spring Set
Mustang SCT X4 Tuner
1994-04 MUSTANG SVE COBRA STYLE FRONT & REAR BRAKE CALIPER KIT - BLACK

I am removing the eibach kit I previously had installed and putting the H&R's on to hopefully get a little lower of a stance.

While ripping the car apart we realized it needs new rear parking brake cables. Which is fine. But we also noticed that the rear spindle knuckle hubs need replaced!

I cannot find these anywhere. I also see them in one place and they are insanely expensive. Does anybody know where I can get these for a decent price? Or, have a recommendation on how to go about getting these fixed?

Any help is appreciated!

shurur

Established Member
HELP!

So the build continues. The car is currently getting the following installed.

New Side Scoops
Side scoops painted white
Energy Suspension 4.1127R - Energy Suspension Motor Mount
FPP 4.10 Gear Kit
BBK Underdrive Pulleys
Power Stop Z26 Stree Warrior Brake Kit
Brake Master Cylinder
H&R Spring Set
Mustang SCT X4 Tuner
1994-04 MUSTANG SVE COBRA STYLE FRONT & REAR BRAKE CALIPER KIT - BLACK

I am removing the eibach kit I previously had installed and putting the H&R's on to hopefully get a little lower of a stance.

While ripping the car apart we realized it needs new rear parking brake cables. Which is fine. But we also noticed that the rear spindle knuckle hubs need replaced!

I cannot find these anywhere. I also see them in one place and they are insanely expensive. Does anybody know where I can get these for a decent price? Or, have a recommendation on how to go about getting these fixed?

Any help is appreciated!
Nope.
They are going to cost...even used on ebay

Ftbr sells them...and the parts for them..except for the unrevised 99 replacement cross axis joints.

I would replace what needs to be replaced.
Bearings and cross axis joints.

If you have the unrevised '99 spindle, you can get the spc cross axis joints that press in, rather than replacing the entire rear spindle.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Welcome,,

Just wanted to mention a recent thread about running hot,

Guy replaced almost everything to fix it,, Last item touched was the problem.

Under drive pulleys,,

He found this was his issue with cooling.

Save that link. Has so much information along with service manuals. Both PC version and small cell phone version

shurur

Established Member
Welcome,,

Just wanted to mention a recent thread about running hot,

Guy replaced almost everything to fix it,, Last item touched was the problem.

Under drive pulleys,,

He found this was his issue with cooling.

Save that link. Has so much information along with service manuals. Both PC version and small cell phone version
Before there was that site...there was taz cobra.

I am not buying in to the UDP cooling scare...especially if NA.
UDPs were standard on the 2000R.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread