New ADS Meastro Dash Kit 2013 test fit installed

KonaFifty

Established Member
First so we are speaking the same lingo, the button you are referring to is Recirculation/Fresh Air button or RECIRC for short. I would also like to see this from the OEM panel as we checked our code and we only send the HVAC the single bit to reflect that the RECIRC button has been pressed. The OEM climate control then responds back with a status message and we update the icons based on that. We do not have any logic to turn anything on or off with the RECIRC button.

Please tell me what happens when you press the POWER button (top center button). We believe this will turn off the HVAC system and close vents as you want. If so, nothing to do here.

If not, please shoot a video and then PM me and I will provide a place to upload it.

Maybe someone here could verify how it works with the OEM panel or you could pop your stock stuff back in and see.

We have access to a Mustang but our contact is on an extended vacation at the moment.

Thanks,

Thanks,

LOL...I should have stated but the picture I used as the Kenwood reference was something I found on the internet. Just to show you the button configures. Not my actual screen. I guess the only thing I can do is to record it. I will record it and post it up later tonight as I have to get to work soon.

I can tell you right now how the OEM works. AS how it would work in every other car as well. It is not just the Mustang, every car has this button and it works independent regardless if the HVAC was on or off. Go out to your car and test it... You can reference the picture I posted. You can toggle it open and close from the push of that button you see on the OEM panel. (Picture Attached from previous post).

Like I said...DEFAULT the MAESTRO has the vents OPEN with HVAC system turned off, when I go to CLOSE the vents the MAESTRO turns on the AC and CLOSES the vents. When I push the POWER button to turn the AC OFF, it turns the AC OFF and REOPENS the vents. MAESTRO will not allow you to close the vents without having the AC turn on. Video later when I get home from work if you still do not understand what I am saying...

Hugerush

Established Member
Um, both my Ford’s are 13’s and neither “works independent regardless if the HVAC was on or off”.

I think part of the issue is that you think they are “vents”. The primary purpose of the Recirc door is for the air conditioning to cool the already cool cabin air rather than hot outside air.

From the Mustang owners manual;

Recirculated air:
Press to switch between outside air and
recirculated air. When the LED on the button is lit, the air currently in
the passenger compartment is being recirculated. Using recirculated air
can reduce the time needed to cool the interior and reduce unwanted
odors from entering your vehicle.

MAX A/C:
Distributes recirculated air through the instrument panel
vents to cool the vehicle. This position is more economical and efficient
than normal A/C.

The truck is a little more convoluted (but says the same thing);

Recirculated air:
Press to switch between outside air and recirculated air. When the LED on the button is lit, the air currently in the passenger compartment is being recirculated. Using recirculated air can reduce the time needed to cool the interior and reduce unwanted odors from entering your vehicle. Even when this button is not selected,
air may still recirculate in some instances in order to reduce vehicle
warm-up time in cold conditions or to cool down time in hot conditions.

Note: Recirculated air engages automatically when MAX A/C is selected
or can be turned on manually in any airflow mode except Defrost.

Note: You may notice changes in sound between recirculated mode and
other airflow modes.

Note: For better cooling in hot conditions, recirculated air automatically
engages when the air distribution control is in panel or panel/floor modes
and the air conditioning is on. You can switch to fresh air by pressing the
recirculated air button again.

In my opinion the Recirc door should be closed if the Climate Control system (“HVAC”) is OFF. If yours is not, either because of the Maestro or otherwise, it is not working correctly.

KonaFifty

Established Member
Thanks Hugerush for the post. Your first and last sentence contradicts what you stated in your first sentence though. Vents/doors...same difference in this situation... The recirc button should be able to open and close without having the AC system kick on. Which is why I made the statement "independently". Do you have this set up by the way? I will post a vid later when I have time to do so with the issue I have...

Hugerush

Established Member
I guess my point was, “vents” indicates to me outside air is allowed to enter the car unfettered.

The recirc door controls air passing THROUGH either the heater core or air conditioning evaporator (oddly enough controlled by what is called the temperature door).

I agree the recirc door should open or close regardless if the AC is selected on or not, but the air will not be uneffected by the temp selector (or the fan speed, for that matter).

If the climate control system is selected OFF, no air should be passing through the system, either recirculated or fresh.

If air is entering the car with the system selected off, then it is indeed not functioning correctly.

I found a simple schematic below.

hvac.JPG

Hugerush

Established Member
Kona,

In the video you are pressing the climate control system ON/OFF (Zero with a 1) button and the recirc goes to FRESH (Recirc Off) as the system shuts down. This is normal operation.

Try turning the system ON (either by ON/OFF or RECIRC ON) and then pressing the A/C button (so as to select the AC OFF). It is my guess the A/C will turn off but the RECIRC will stay on (and the system ON/OFF button will remain ON - highlighted).

Again, when you press the ON/OFF to OFF, no air is passing through the system, so the position of the recirc door is irrelevant, and the default (system OFF) position would be fresh air.

KonaFifty

Established Member
Sorry I should have showed that in the video as well. When I shut off the AC by pressing the AC button instead of hitting the power button, it turns off the AC light but it still blows air as if AC was still on. That is why I thought it was strange because with the OEM panel, with the system off and when I open or close the recirc doors/vents, it never blew air before it just closed or opened.

Regardless it shouldn't turn on AC anyway when I try to close the doors/vents.

12V Guy

Established Member
Sorry I should have showed that in the video as well. When I shut off the AC by pressing the AC button instead of hitting the power button, it turns off the AC light but it still blows air as if AC was still on. That is why I thought it was strange because with the OEM panel, with the system off and when I open or close the recirc doors/vents, it never blew air before it just closed or opened.

Regardless it shouldn't turn on AC anyway when I try to close the doors/vents.

I am 99% sure that is what it does with the OEM panel in place. Can anyone confirm? I believe you have to push POWER off to have no fan and no vent air coming in. As I mentioned, we only send the button press to the HVAC. The HVAC sends back to us the status of what should be illuminated on the panel. We do NOT turn on the AC.

Cheers,

KonaFifty

Established Member
I am 99% sure that is what it does with the OEM panel in place. Can anyone confirm? I believe you have to push POWER off to have no fan and no vent air coming in. As I mentioned, we only send the button press to the HVAC. The HVAC sends back to us the status of what should be illuminated on the panel. We do NOT turn on the AC.

Cheers,

I didnt want to pull the whole thing out and install the OEM back in and vice versa just to prove a point but I guess I have to...

Also like I stated, go out to your car and check...it is the same in every car.

Did you watch the video at all? LOL...because it does turn the ac on when i close the vent. When I turn the ac off it reopens the vents...

Hugerush

Established Member
i went out to my car (and truck) and checked...

Okay, I tried it on mine (yet to be modified 13GT with manual climate control).

With the SYSTEM OFF – Press RECIRC button = SYSTEM powers ON in AC mode.

AC may now be selected OFF (that’s the AC button, not the SYSTEM 0-1 button) and RECIRC remains on. RECIRC may be selected ON or OFF as desired.

Pressing SYSTEM OFF (0-1 button) shuts everything down, including RECIRC (lights go out).

Pickup truck (which is Auto Climate Control) operates exactly the same way.

So it IS the same in all my cars – press the RECIRC button with the SYSTEM OFF and it fires up the climate control in AC mode (also AUTO on the truck).

Last edited:

12V Guy

Established Member
Okay, I tried it on mine (yet to be modified 13GT with manual climate control).

With the SYSTEM OFF – Press RECIRC button = SYSTEM powers ON in AC mode.

AC may now be selected OFF (that’s the AC button, not the SYSTEM 0-1 button) and RECIRC remains on. RECIRC may be selected ON or OFF as desired.

Pressing SYSTEM OFF (0-1 button) shuts everything down, including RECIRC (lights go out).

Pickup truck (which is Auto Climate Control) operates exactly the same way.

So it IS the same in all my cars – press the RECIRC button with the SYSTEM OFF and it fires up the climate control in AC mode (also AUTO on the truck).

Thanks so much. As expected.

@KonaFifty - of course we watched your video. It doesn't change how the climate works. We send what the factory panel sends. We get back what the factory panel gets back. I own a Ford Explorer with manual climate and I DID go out to my car. NOT ALL CARS WORK THE SAME.

We checked in two other Fords as well.

Sounds like you need to push RECIRC, then PRESS AC to turn off the AC but leave the RECIRC light on as explained above.
Good thing is no need to put in your stock panel - Hugerush saved you the trouble.

Cheers.

Last edited:

S197Probie

Established Member
Is there any reason to not get the DNX691hd? It seems to have everything I need. 5v.. Two year warranty... Nav. HD ETC... I cannot see why the 891 is worth $300 more...

tcc001

@12V Guy. I've been doing a lot of research on the MUS1 dash kit. I noticed on the idatalink webpage that the Alpine X008U is listed as a compatible device. I know the X008U is to big being that it has an 8" screen, but I was wondering if ADS/idatalink was planning on making an 8" version of the MUS1 kit in order to fit the X008U. I am very interested in this because if that is the case then I plan on waiting until the 8" version comes out to pair it with the X008U, other wise I will just fold and get the W957HD along with the MUS1 dash kit.

Thanks.

12V Guy

Established Member
@12V Guy. I've been doing a lot of research on the MUS1 dash kit. I noticed on the idatalink webpage that the Alpine X008U is listed as a compatible device. I know the X008U is to big being that it has an 8" screen, but I was wondering if ADS/idatalink was planning on making an 8" version of the MUS1 kit in order to fit the X008U. I am very interested in this because if that is the case then I plan on waiting until the 8" version comes out to pair it with the X008U, other wise I will just fold and get the W957HD along with the MUS1 dash kit.

Thanks.

We are not changing the MUS1 to work with 8 inch radio. Sorry.

Redline8k

Established Member
Im trying to decide between the kenwood DNX692 and the DDX5902, I really dont need nav. Im not even sure if the 5902 will work correctly or what I will need. I have a base gt with upgraded speakers and the sound is killing me.

Redline8k

Established Member
Ok small update, I worked with Joy from Tri state and she is amazing, best customer service for an online car stereo place hands down!! I order my radio and parts so I should have an install update soon.

On a side note has anyone hooked up a usb changer to the other unused usb on the kit? I believe there was some talk about this but Im not sure if anyone has actually completed it.
let me know. I wonder if it would be as easy as getting a male to male usb and then hard wiring the power...Ill have to do some research as well.

scott_0

Established Member
Ok small update, I worked with Joy from Tri state and she is amazing, best customer service for an online car stereo place hands down!!

yeah, Joy is great! Sound of Tristate has been around my area for years, really well known locally

Mushtang

Established Member
Just a quick heads up the brand new Kenwood Apple Car Play, Android Auto Unit is available, DDX9902S. Sound of Tri-State has the package with the ADS Kit, steering wheel controls, backup camera, and SiriusXM Tuner and Antenna listed very cheap considering its a whole package. If you purchase before August the satellite radio has a $70 mail in rebate along with the two ways to save free activation and three months service. Here's the link http://www.soundoftristate.com/ddx9902s-w-ads-ads-mrr-adskitmus1-cmos-22p-sxv300v1 coupon code SOTS300 for $300 off

Last edited:

scott_0

Established Member
I really want to get this headunit, but it's my understanding the S6 doesn't work with it

Users who are viewing this thread