New Addition - Our First Great Dane

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
We picked up "Gunner" this last weekend.

He is a 8 week old Blue Great Dane.

We are currently crate training him, so no sleep for us for a while.;-)

8WPHCiv.jpg

hROQp7l.jpg

288246_392290667486634_1876710686_o.jpg

Edited to upload lost pictures

Last edited:

peteypab2133

Established Member
Awesome looking pup. One of the select few I would get if we had room for a dog in the family. Enjoy the training!

Z28

Established Member
Crate training is the way to go. We trained both our pups last year and it worked great. First night we took our first puppy home he was wimpering/yelping pretty bad. I covered the the crate beside our bed and everytime he made a noise I hit the top of the cage. After the first night he never made a sound.

Both our dogs love their kennels now, even though they are in them a lot during the week. I'll catch them sleeping in it all the time with the door open when we are home.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Both our dogs love their kennels now, even though they are in them a lot during the week. I'll catch them sleeping in it all the time with the door open when we are home.

Mine is that way too.....big thunderstorm rolls through...you can guess where my 70lb wimp is hiding :)

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
beautiful pup! might i add to get him on Taste of the Wild if you can,blue buffalo, orijen? they are great dogs, i had a Harlequin and loved her alot. remember bout bloat, feed her and put her in kennel/crate about an hour to reduce the chances. also, when you leave your house is you can leave the tv or radio on it helps alot, imagine being locked away for 9 hours w/ complete silence.....nice pup.

went from this.....
q1-1.jpg

to this....
012.jpg

PUSHA TON

Established Member
He looks just like ours. Our Dane is about 13 months and he's a beast. Keep him at my parents house because I'm scared someone would try to steal him.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

05slvrgt

Real bits of panther.
Established Member
Nice dog. As he grows up he will be the topic of every conversation you have at home anytime a stranger is over. Or if you take him out anywhere in public he will get a LOT of attention. Whenever I take my dane out, we are always stopped by people wanting to pet her or just talk about her. I think she knows too, because she loves the attention.

Booky

Who's Pick'n The Banjo Here?
Established Member
First night we took our first puppy home he was wimpering/yelping pretty bad. I covered the the crate beside our bed and everytime he made a noise I hit the top of the cage. After the first night he never made a sound.

I will have to try that as ours has been yelping pretty loud the first two nights we have had him. We have been just ignoring him but the cage is right next to our bed so it is pretty hard to get any sleep.:(

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Beautiful pup! As lobra said, be mindful of bloat... we had one scare with it but thankfully was unrelated. However putting them away for an hour after food may not be necessary, I suppose it depends on the activity level of your particular dog. We just usually try not to let ours rough-house with our Mastiff or let her run around a lot in the backyard afterwards and it's never been a problem.

Something else I might suggest but that everybody has their own opinion on is not giving the dog human food... ever! Now that may not be something you can do or are interested in but I would suggest if you like your dinner, lol. We've done that with both our dogs and neither begs for food. You can sit on the floor watching TV and eat something and they could care less. You may not care now but when they are tall enough to take food off the table or kitchen counter without even jumping up you will appreciate it, lol. With us there are exceptions, like if they are sick and we are feeding them rice and/or yogurt, but we always make sure to make them stay in the other room and then place the "human food" in their food bowls so that is all they ever associate with it. May seem a little over the top and takes some discipline, especially around others who may try and feed your dog, but again well worth it in the long run.

Best of luck and I'm sure you'll love him even more as he grows "up"! :)

And lobra, I'm sorry. ;-)

went from this.....
q1-1.jpg

to this....
012.jpg

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
It's all good sux not having her but i'll get another one, that's really all i wanted from her so to spite me she kept the dog. well i said an hour because after a bit she knocked out and went to sleep (food coma) then she'd wake up and be ready to play. damn you have a mastiff as well? pics of both!

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Great looking pup! Just wait til he hits 4-6 months. They explode in size. They get so big so quickly that you forget how young they are and how goofy and silly they can be.

I have an american bulldog and he'll be 2 years next month. Spoiled rotten but he's a good boy.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
It's all good sux not having her but i'll get another one, that's really all i wanted from her so to spite me she kept the dog. well i said an hour because after a bit she knocked out and went to sleep (food coma) then she'd wake up and be ready to play. damn you have a mastiff as well? pics of both!

Oh man, I didn't realize your dog had been "taken" in a break-up/divorce... Sorry, that really has to suck! And if she did it just out of spite that is even worse.

Here's our Dane, back when she was a little younger and still was mostly black (I think the addition of our Mastiff started her greying process, lol)

IMG_1678.jpg

Closer to present:

DSC_0215.jpg

And the best dog I have ever owned, Tucker. He's a Nebolish Mastiff (and unfortunately a small one for the breed, as is our Dane) so he's not your stereotypical huge English Mastiff but that keeps the drooling to a minimum.

DSC_0204.jpg

And sorry OP, I don't mean to picture whore on your thread but I just love this action sequence of him (I was about to get trampled):

DSC_0206.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0229.jpg

Last edited:

65x2

Resident Hippie
Established Member
Im not fond of the smack the crate deal. A squirt bottle works just fine and after a few times they see the bottle they know they're doing wrong. No squirt needed. It works well inside and outside the crate and doesn't shock the shit out of them. Loud noises that only occur in the crate can shy a timid dog from using it as intended by crate training.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

lobra97

PIITB since 1984
Established Member
TealTerm- awesome dogs i bet they are a handful when you feed them. Queenie was a bit skinny for her size but she was lanky, we would feed her a lot but she only liked to eat so much, typical women watchin her weight i guess. she has a pretty face, i don't like droppy face red under the eye ball look on danes.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
Im not fond of the smack the crate deal. A squirt bottle works just fine and after a few times they see the bottle they know they're doing wrong. No squirt needed. It works well inside and outside the crate and doesn't shock the shit out of them. Loud noises that only occur in the crate can shy a timid dog from using it as intended by crate training.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Actually the whole purpose of crate training is to avoid the issues you mention. You don't use it as a place of punishment, you make them go there for a place of comfort. Never throw them in their in anger, just place them in there for bedtime or during the day if you work and usually with a treat and/or some choose to feed them in it as well. They learn that is a place of safety and then also don't hate it when you put them in there when you leave.

We used this method with both our current dogs and it worked great. However after about a year to two years, depending on the dog, we ended up not crating them at all and they just have free rain of the house... which is what we wanted in the first place. It's just when they are puppies and/or younger they can tend to get into things and when your "puppy" is 100+ lbs and has jaws the size of a bear trap "getting into something" can mean eating half your couch! :)

Users who are viewing this thread