New 94-04 spindle brake option

bird_dog0347

Established Member
Shoot me a PM too please.

Lowranger, do you know if the ATS calipers use the same thread for the brake lines as the 98 Cobras? ( You have a 98 also, correct?)

I bought the Maximum Motorsports stainless front lines from LMR to go with mine and they come with both fine and coarse thread banjo bolts, just FYI.

1BADMK8

Hi there great product please put me down for one kit. I’ve been waiting a long time for something like this to come along. PayPal on standby let me know. Thank you

Cjhstang

Awesome kit, great instructions! I even appreciate the extra roll pin you include!

I'm just waiting on my paint to arrive today and it'll finally be time to install.

lowranger96

Established Member
Awesome kit, great instructions! I even appreciate the extra roll pin you include!

I'm just waiting on my paint to arrive today and it'll finally be time to install.

I knew I was missing a roll pin! Lol. Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonhy100993

hey sir ! just purchased the ats calipers and the 13" rotors for my 65 mustang im building and would love to get the inserts you provide are there any in stock right now ? ill leave my email if that's a better way of contact im new to this forum [email protected]

notthenow

Established Member
Hello all, this is the only mustang forum I have found that is using a spacer UNDER the rotor. Does anyone know what spacer thickness is considered the maximum or have an info source to read that talks about engineering/safety parameters?
Sorry to steer the thread a bit, but there are a whole bunch using it with this very well done kit from lowranger96 and you guys have the experience.

lowranger96

Established Member
Hello all, this is the only mustang forum I have found that is using a spacer UNDER the rotor. Does anyone know what spacer thickness is considered the maximum or have an info source to read that talks about engineering/safety parameters?
Sorry to steer the thread a bit, but there are a whole bunch using it with this very well done kit from lowranger96 and you guys have the experience.

The maximum thickness is going to be determined by your wheel stud thread engagement.

When it comes to this application I’m not sure I understand the question of why would you need more? However when looking at what others are doing for different brake kits I’ve seen 3/4” spacer behind the rotor. Proper design and engineering would obviously be required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

notthenow

Established Member
Thanks for the reply lowranger. I didn't want to hijack the thread, but wanted some confirmation on spacers under the rotor being considered reasonable engineering and safety-wise. I was thinking about using a 1/2" hubcentric spacer and ARP studs of the proper length as I am toying with 14"-15" GT 500 rotors, 18" wheels, and in the front, CTS-V 4 piston calipers. In this case I need an additional bracket and the space away from the spindle allows for this. It also allows for the track to equalize as I have 1" wheel spacers on the rear and can go to 1-1/2". My son and I installed 6 piston front and 4 piston rear CTS-V calipers on his 4th gen Camaro. Funny, I could not find any sites using or supporting spacers under the rotor except Harley Davidson sites.

lowranger96

Established Member
Thanks for the reply lowranger. I didn't want to hijack the thread, but wanted some confirmation on spacers under the rotor being considered reasonable engineering and safety-wise. I was thinking about using a 1/2" hubcentric spacer and ARP studs of the proper length as I am toying with 14"-15" GT 500 rotors, 18" wheels, and in the front, CTS-V 4 piston calipers. In this case I need an additional bracket and the space away from the spindle allows for this. It also allows for the track to equalize as I have 1" wheel spacers on the rear and can go to 1-1/2". My son and I installed 6 piston front and 4 piston rear CTS-V calipers on his 4th gen Camaro. Funny, I could not find any sites using or supporting spacers under the rotor except Harley Davidson sites.

Just use my kit with some XTS calipers, 07 GT500 rotors and the same 1.9mm shim behind the rotor. That will get you what you want without a bunch of work.

But to answer your question I don't see an issue with what you are thinking if you have proper wheel stud to lug nut thread engagement if everything is hub centric.

notthenow

Established Member
Yeah I wish I hadn't bought most of the parts already but I tend to gather up whatever is on sale over a few years and then build it. I started on this back in 2016 and have the next gen 2015 GT500 rotors front and back with the GT500 rear calipers and the CTS-V front 4 piston models. I did try fitting up the 2007 versions with the CTS-V and they were not as close as what your kit with the XTS calipers are. The rotor being taller or spaced out was needed. That was when I started researching spacing the rotor or cutting down the diameter and got mired in whether it was safe to space out the rotor and if it would lose balance if reduced it's diameter. Just couldn't find consensus from any sources. I had also assumed I would be making brackets for the front and rear to match up the mounting points. I avoided non-floating rears due to pad knock back we experienced on the Camaro build we did. Have you cut down any rotors?

notthenow

Established Member
Yeah I wish I hadn't bought most of the parts already but I tend to gather up whatever is on sale over a few years and then build it. I started on this back in 2016 and have the next gen 2015 GT500 rotors front and back with the GT500 rear calipers and the CTS-V front 4 piston models. I did try fitting up the 2007 versions with the CTS-V and they were not as close as what your kit with the XTS calipers are. The rotor being taller or spaced out was needed. That was when I started researching spacing the rotor or cutting down the diameter and got mired in whether it was safe to space out the rotor and if it would lose balance if reduced it's diameter. Just couldn't find consensus from any sources. I had also assumed I would be making brackets for the front and rear to match up the mounting points. I avoided non-floating rears due to pad knock back we experienced on the Camaro build we did. Have you cut down any rotors?

cee811nc

lowranger96 I'm interested in one of your kits. Looking to put the setup on a 65 stang with AJE Suspension on the front, that uses a SN95 2" drop spindle. Any issues you know of? I'd like to try and use the 07 up GT500 rotors as the 13" cobra rotors seem to be getting hard to find. Would appreciate any help or advice you can provide. Thanks.

lowranger96

Established Member
lowranger96 I'm interested in one of your kits. Looking to put the setup on a 65 stang with AJE Suspension on the front, that uses a SN95 2" drop spindle. Any issues you know of? I'd like to try and use the 07 up GT500 rotors as the 13" cobra rotors seem to be getting hard to find. Would appreciate any help or advice you can provide. Thanks.

It should all bolt right up to their spindle with my kit. There are tons of cobra rotor options on rockauto, if you used the gt500 rotor you would need 18+” wheels and XTS calipers

Users who are viewing this thread