New '03 owner with a 'broken' car, advice needed (long post, sorry)

UFO

Established Member
So what was the issue? Had the same prob and mine turned out to be a head gasket

Before:
6ZvNC77.jpg

m8NpySq.jpg

After:
JlR26AP.jpg

anE2ZeD.jpg

A good clean and new O-rings. I haven't had chance to put her back on track yet (weekend after next is her next outing) but after some hard runs up and down the freeway in Mexico she was dry as a bone and seems to also be running a little better. Also replaced all of the fuel lines and there's not a whiff of petrol now.

I appreciate everyone's advice, I wouldn't have known where to even start without it!

hotcobra03

Established Member
Before:
View attachment 1579313
View attachment 1579314

After:
View attachment 1579315
View attachment 1579316

A good clean and new O-rings. I haven't had chance to put her back on track yet (weekend after next is her next outing) but after some hard runs up and down the freeway in Mexico she was dry as a bone and seems to also be running a little better. Also replaced all of the fuel lines and there's not a whiff of petrol now.

I appreciate everyone's advice, I wouldn't have known where to even start without it!

Keep it updated.

I have had orings go bad.
But however fluid was sucked in

Where yours is blowing out.

I see this as getting to hot.

I am not a fan of the oem water pump.

I’m on #6. All oem

Each one acted differently.

I’m stock.
I have ran mine without coolant for awhile being lazy on doing this job

Mine sucked the coolant tank like a milk jug being squeezed.

20lbs vacuum is strong.

I had to run a bypass hose on just intercooler for a few days

Mine would hit 200iat2 and it ran fine for normal driving.

persico

Established Member
Yup those o-rings were flat. Going through the same thing right now on mine. Blowing coolant out of my coolant tank......

Just wanted to add that it's kinda funny, I picked up my terminator swapped 01 gt which also had been sitting for a while and the alternator and IC o-rings took a crap as well. Oh yeah my pump also shit the bed not long after I picked up the car but I replaced it with a moroso 20 GPM unit.

Last edited:

UFO

Established Member
Well, this is how my weekend, sorry I mean Saturday morning, went:

7ZSQ3jI.jpg

GnvJzs9.jpg

It was hot down in Angleton this weekend, it was in the 90s and I could barely even get a full lap out of the car without the coolant puking on the windshield. The coolant tank was extremely hot, couldn't even touch it, and the seal was blown out so I know it wasn't pressurized when I brought it back in to the pits but I could not remove the cap until the tank was cool to the touch, so I think the fluid's actually just boiling over. Only ran Saturday morning and did a total of maybe 5 laps so another $500 down the drain and I barely even got on the car, very few WOT moments. Right now it seems like I'm just throwing money at the car with no effect, I think this just might not be the car for me. I should have titled the video 'Stupid owner'.

FortLewisCobra

Established Member
Did you ever verify the inter-cooler pump was working? I may have missed it earlier, but usually that's the first thing everyone goes to when they start boiling off fluid from the reservoir. If it's the pump its a relatively cheap and easy fix. You may want to do it anyways depending on mileage.

UFO

Established Member
Did you ever verify the inter-cooler pump was working? I may have missed it earlier, but usually that's the first thing everyone goes to when they start boiling off fluid from the reservoir. If it's the pump its a relatively cheap and easy fix. You may want to do it anyways depending on mileage.

Yes, the first session of my first track day back in April it failed and the car would go in to limp mode under throttle. Replaced it that day and it is still working, it was running by itself after each session this past weekend.

UFO

Established Member
Have you flogged it on the street to reproduce the issue?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cannot reproduce on the street. Prior to replacing the O-rings If I did some high speed pulls back to back on the freeway it would leak but not as bad as it does on track. Now it does nothing.

speedoflife

Established Member
Cannot reproduce on the street. Prior to replacing the O-rings If I did some high speed pulls back to back on the freeway it would leak but not as bad as it does on track. Now it does nothing.
Did you ever figure this problem out? After what you’ve been through my mind go to pressure getting in the system as other people have said. Which would be a more internal problem...

UFO

Established Member
Did you ever figure this problem out? After what you’ve been through my mind go to pressure getting in the system as other people have said. Which would be a more internal problem...
No, mate, the car's still acting up; I concur with pressure in the system and I truly thought the O ring replacement would fix the issue, I was pretty disappointed when it didn't. I'm just throwing money at the car at this point, as much as I love the car I think it's time to just move on.

termibryqn

Established Member
That's a possibility but before this car was parked for a few years it ran fine *as is*, I'd rather not try to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. I already need to replace the return type fuel system as the hoses are seeping, gas smells freak me out ;), and do some other stuff so trying to keep cost down.

Track fees, hotel, gas/food, new alternator, new auxiliary water pump, and 4 X Nitto NT01s. Granted, it needed new tires, I was just listing how much the weekend cost me, it's kind of irrelevant and I was just bitching :(.

No, and I don't know how to check.

How do i know if the tank is overfilled, it's a solid tank with no fill marks? Also, is there a way to test the cap is venting properly. There's no instructions :(.

Car has been sat for 2 years or so so leaking O rings would seem like the likely culprit. Hopefully.

Car belonged to a friend of a friend, I know its maintenance schedule, know who did the work and know who tuned the car and the suspension so whilst I agree buying someone else's project is never a good thing I thought I would luck out here. Looks like I might have been wrong ;).

No gauges at all, something I hope to remedy soon. And, again, I don't know how full is too full?

When I changed the cap I drained most of the coolant out and used a flashlight to look inside, it's remarkably clean and corrosion free from what I can see.

Thanks everyone for the comments, gives me something to go on.
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

do compression test/leakdown test, after that check make sure boost bypass valve is functioning properly with vacuum gauge, if that checks out pull the intercooler under supercharger up ur coolant tubes in hold ur finger over one tube and blow in other see if its leaking internally

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

termibryqn

Established Member
that tank shouldn’t be under pressure, my guess is check make sure boost isnt leaking into intercooler system, and also check make sure someone didnt hook a engine coolant line to intercooler system (sounds silly but ya never know)

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you think you may have a hose that is partially collapsed? This could be causing a restriction in the loop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
The hose may look good on the outside but collapsed on the inside.

speedoflife

Established Member
No, mate, the car's still acting up; I concur with pressure in the system and I truly thought the O ring replacement would fix the issue, I was pretty disappointed when it didn't. I'm just throwing money at the car at this point, as much as I love the car I think it's time to just move on.
Might be time to move on. It depends on what you want. These cars can be good track cars but they require some modifications to work well under extended periods of high-RPM driving. Forced induction produces so much excess heat. I’ll gather some links of what others have done to mitigate this (intercooler flow mods and tank-routed cooling systems are the most effective for track usage). The fact that you can’t reproduce the issue on the street leads me to believe your pressure is coming from heat, not leaking boost. I’d boost was getting into the intercooler system, you’d be able to spray coolant during your testing in Mexico. If it stays dry, then it would seem as though heat soak is causing the system to boil over. Your only solutions to that involve cooling mods. There is at least one member here, @MalcolmV8, who has done extensive cooking mods. There was another member, jimmysidecar (or something like that - I’ll try to find him), who tracked their Cobra for extended periods as well.

The Terminator was engineered to go fast, not necessarily for multiple laps in a row. One thing about the car is that it takes a little bit of work to make it reliable in a prolonged-use track setting without cooldown periods. Just food for thought.

Edit: What cooling mods have been done to the car? Does it have a dual pass/upgraded heat exchanger in the front?

Last edited:

Rambro

Established Member
I feel the stock IC system is taxed at anything over stock boost levels. I really want to do the j2fab setup with a big Gt500 h/e. It's a pricey way to go, especially if you have to upgrade your alternator to run a powerful pump. It has to be worlds better than my stock h/e and moroso tank.

UFO

Established Member
There was another member, jimmysidecar (or something like that - I’ll try to find him), who tracked their Cobra for extended periods as well.

The Terminator was engineered to go fast, not necessarily for multiple laps in a row. One thing about the car is that it takes a little bit of work to make it reliable in a prolonged-use track setting without cooldown periods. Just food for thought.

Edit: What cooling mods have been done to the car? Does it have a dual pass/upgraded heat exchanger in the front?

JimmySideCar used to bring his Mystichrome Cobra out to the SVT events at MSR Houston many years ago, good bloke but I don't think he's around any more :(. It's just so strange that I can't even get a single hot lap out of the car, I know it's hot here in Houston but come on.

The car has an aftermarket heat exchanger as well as a bigger radiator (not sure the make of either) but I did discover that maybe part of the reason why the old plastic bottle isn't used is because it won't fit due to the thicker radiator:
psyv2mq.jpg

UFO

Established Member
Do you think you may have a hose that is partially collapsed? This could be causing a restriction in the loop.

I don't believe so, when the pump kicks in you can see the coolant running through the system if I pop the cap of the reservoir off and it's not a gentle stream, it has a fair bit of turbulence to it.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I would be curious to know what temps your intercooler coolant is hitting when you iats climb. I would hate to move on from the car without finding the problem. If it were me, I woould install a temperature gauge in the intercooler coolant reservoir. I would get one with analog out so you could datalog.

Users who are viewing this thread