Neverlift 1/2 mile in Coalinga with the GT500

bunits19714

Established Member
for rwd cars traction become the linear speed limiting factor- most half mile event s wont let you do a true burn out- and the surface is un- prepped- so a car that traps 150 at a 1/4 mile on a prep surface even with a not perfect 60 foot will have issues cracking 176 or so. The stocker the converter if a auto the better. stock converter I was running 139 in the 1/4 on a prepped surface and would go 170 in the half - added a converter and about 80 rwhp(cams and heads)car lost 100 lbs in weight) trapping 150 in the qtr. mile and only get 175's out of it in the half mile ( was very discouraging) It takes about a solid 925+ rwhp and good traction in a 3600 pound car to break 180.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks man, that makes sense.
Do you lock the converter at the track of either 1/4 or 1/2?
I can see the auto car with a converter swap having more issues than a clutch car.
-J

bunits19714

Established Member
no it wasn't locking to the top of the lock up limit in 3rd gear- would of had less traction issues for sure but was running my standard 1/4mile set up tune- car didn't shift to 4th till around 156.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
no it wasn't locking to the top of the lock up limit in 3rd gear- would of had less traction issues for sure but was running my standard 1/4mile set up tune- car didn't shift to 4th till around 156.
Well, next time you go let me know. Me and my crew go to Milan often and want to try 1/2 mile.
Been having meets at Meijer on Alexis Rd exit on Friday and Saturday nights too.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread