Never used Custom built 3:73 Axle (Griggs)

Established Member
I had this factory axle (with 300 miles on it) customized at this custom shop;

Scribner Welding and Distributing

I planned to use it with the Griggs rear suspension and Watt's link in a 2008 GT500.

Axle tubes welded to housing for strength & rigidity
Custom length MOSER 31 spline axles
FRPP 3:73 ring and pinion
Traction Lok differential
Housing machined on bench/lathe for perfect dowel location (Griggs cover)
Griggs shock mount reinforcement plates perfectly welded in (on bench)

From the factory, the right and left axle tubes were not equal length from the mounts outward. This was equalized to make the axle symmetrical. The axle was narrowed .300" (less on one side but now matched) (.540" overall)so that I could use the Shelby wheel offerings (CS40 or Alcoa etc.) with big rubber without rubbing on the fenders (their wheels have shallower offset than custom wheels). This gives the very tip of my pinky finger extra clearance on the outside of the wheel/rubber edge to allow for 305mm+ rubber. No mounting locations were changed. Any suspect welds were cleaned and rewelded.

This Axle is completely ready for a Griggs suspension install. It was Mocked up in the car but never driven.

If you are not running shallow offset Shelby wheels, a 1/4" spacer puts it back to completely stock wheel location. Original gears (300 miles) included.

$1750 obo plus shipping. Griggs cover is not included at that price. I can put on a pallet and have trucking arranged.

102_1747.jpg

SCAN0404.jpg

102_1744-1.jpg

102_1742.jpg

Last edited:

Established Member
I should mention that it is not necessary to have the Griggs Watt's link on the this axle. With a regular differential cover, a Panhard bar can still be used.

This is the car before the minor narrowing. Those are 305 Pzeros (on 20x10" CS40) on the back. I had Widened Razors on before and was never crazy about the widened wheel, at least not the Weldcrafts I had.

These tires cleared with the stock ride height, but I wanted to lower the car with the Griggs coilovers. This axle will tuck the tires on these wheels (and other Shelby offerings like the Alcoas) in just enough to keep them in the fender.

102_1734.jpg

102_1735.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread