Never seen this one Metco Idler

mustangmike01

Established Member
Opened my hood and saw this. What's wrong with this pictures?

20181106_184319_resized.jpg

Back story was getting on the highway opened it up in 3rd, at the top of 3rd about 6k rpm the car changes engine and exhaust tones and I can hear the belt slipping and it felt like the car hit a wall, took my foot off the gas asap and everything seemed fine. My af was fine at 11.0. Looked at the sct and no codes or anything. went home and opened the hood, I figured maybe the belt slipped. It did slip but not the reason I thought. I have had this metco and belt on the car for like 6 years now and about 6k miles. The bolts are from Metco. I have never seen this happen or heard of this, or I have no idea how this would happen.
20181106_184330_resized.jpg

I have never seen bolts shear off like this. Only thought is the engine was going in one directions and the idler was twisting in the other directions. No idea why though.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Damn. There can be a significant amount of side loading on that pulley, so over time it could weaken a loose bolt and shear it. I will be checking my tensioner bracket bolts before I take it out again.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
A few years ago a guy in my old club heard some racket from under the hood. Turns out the bolts holding the lower pulley on sheared off and the pulley dropped under the car. I think it was a Metco pulley, but don't hold me to it.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Damn. Reason #64,000 to invest in the adjustable whipple tensioner, much more secure mount design....on top of all the other list of advantages.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Haven’t seen that one before. Other than the bolts it didn’t seem to harm anything. Glad it didn’t smack the hood when it let go.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm actually surprised we don't see this failure between the metco or billetflow snub idler more often....it's one bolt attachment point and on the completely wrong side of the blower snout. In fact, whipple flat out warns against those snub idlers as causing premature bearing failure to the blower

This sucker works. 2 attachment bolts and in the correct orientation. Then its infinitely adjustable.

IMG_3788.jpg

mustangmike01

Established Member
The bolts where tight, I go through the car before I put it away for the winter and I only drove it 600 miles this summer:( I did check all the pulley bolts and there all tight also.

It dose have two mounting two.

I was lucky it did not come through the hood, it went right to the drivers side and put nick into the overflow tank.

Well that may explain why there is oil starting to seep from the back the sc pulley/snout
Dose whipple still make this setup? I looked on there site and I can't find it. Did they stop making it?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
whipple still makes it, I talked to them, it will be here next week.

Nice! You will love that tensioner even beyond the more secure mount design...just wait and see. Now you will have full adjustability for the belt tension and if your belt stretches as time goes by, you will be able to ever slightly snug it at the first sign of slip.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
The nice thing about the whipple tensioner is you can add the stock pulley cover back on to give it that sleeper look. View attachment 1528550

With the 2.3 whipple and RR upper I would never put the pulley cover on.....but that actually looks sharp with the TVS. I like the color combo with blue valve covers and black wrinkle cover to match the blower.

cj428mach

Established Member
With the 2.3 whipple and RR upper I would never put the pulley cover on.....but that actually looks sharp with the TVS. I like the color combo with blue valve covers and black wrinkle cover to match the blower.

Thanks, I was installing my 98 cams so the drivers side is getting disassembled. Looks a lot better with the powered by ford coil cover on. I did the guard for looks but the belt guard also helps prevent the spread of belt dust. So thats an added bonus.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Thanks, I was installing my 98 cams so the drivers side is getting disassembled. Looks a lot better with the powered by ford coil cover on. I did the guard for looks but the belt guard also helps prevent the spread of belt dust. So thats an added bonus.

Go to that RPM belt and you will almost eliminate dust. It's dusting factor is extremely low compared to the traditional gates or gatorback. Of course that RPM is so cool looking....you might be tempted to take the cover off lol

cj428mach

Established Member
Now that's definitely a unique sleeper look. It that powder coated or is it dipped?

Its powdercoated by me using my DIY harbor freight kit, also did the svt blower plate, as well as the intercooler coolant tank. True Forged was nice enough to share the color they used to match tvs stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread