Nelson Racing 60mm turbos

2002BOSS

Established Member
Did a search but can't seem to find anything that was completed and working .

Trying to decide between a turbo or procharger set up.

Anyways. Can get a deal on some 60mm gen 2 new turbos. I've tried to keep up with the sizing but I get lost

Compressor is 60, turbine 62, A/R .68

Would like to use on my 8.5:1 6 speed car until winter when I can freshin up the motor with 10.5:1 pistons i purchased a while back.

Any input? Had planned on running a elbow threw the factory cobra lower manifold with the factory intercooler but was just advised this doesn't work well so I'm thinking I would do A/A or buy a A/W intercooler and just buy or build a custom manifold

badcobra

It's Fast
Established Member
Trying to decide between a turbo or procharger set up.
Turbos > Procharger. That's a no brainer

Anyways. Can get a deal on some 60mm gen 2 new turbos. I've tried to keep up with the sizing but I get lost

Compressor is 60, turbine 62, A/R .68

Would like to use on my 8.5:1 6 speed car until winter when I can freshin up the motor with 10.5:1 pistons i purchased a while back.
I don't know anything about these turbos. I would use some Precision 6266's or 6466 personally.

As for the engine, it's not normal to freshen up an engine with new pistons. Typically it requires a bore/hone, new bearings, chains, oil pump etc. My personal opinion is if the engine is fine, leave it be and build another on the side with an aluminum block as the base. There is no reason to take apart a good running engine.

Any input? Had planned on running a elbow threw the factory cobra lower manifold with the factory intercooler but was just advised this doesn't work well so I'm thinking I would do A/A or buy a A/W intercooler and just buy or build a custom manifold
You can use a lid and upgrade your stock intercooler or run an aftermarket. J2fab makes a lid that bolts right onto the stock piece and also all the intercooler upgrades. It would be much easier to move to an a2a though.

This is a big rabbit hole you are going down moving away from the stock supercharger or aftermarket equivalent. Make sure you are committed both financially and time wise and don't be another guy that sells his car halfway through the build. Good luck

2002BOSS

Established Member
The set up is far from stock, I have a Shelby m122 on it with an adapter plate and a separate cog drive. It worked well for a while then when I turned up the blower Snout snapped then I machined a new one and it started snapping belts. I also had made mounts to put the Alternator where the A/C compressor was. Everything was straight but it would always shred a rib.

Motor has been sitting since 2015, trust me it's a good idea to do a freshen up, valve springs don't like to sit and im sure at this point the cylinders could use a clean up. The pistons are low compression stock, makes no sense to pull it apart and not get the cylinders done and put in some stronger pistons with an pit of compression.

I was also using the factory ECU with a sniper tuner. I bought a Holley dominator for it.

Would just be nice to toss the motor in and do the fab work, get the turbos and holly running on it at maybe 10pis and work out the Bugs then pull the motor apart in the winter
And get it cleaned up, with some better pistons and camshafts then go hard at it next year.

Users who are viewing this thread