Negotiate Price or Payment on 03 Cobra?

Orange Poison

Established Member
Ok guys,

I'm going to get my Cobra on Weds. morning

I've been told I'm getting MSRP by sales manager (still doubtful)

Question: Should I first negotiate overall price? Meaning...determine what the overall price is out the door (MSRP+tax+license+misc. fees)

Then.....

Tell them (salesman) what I'm putting as a down payment, then based on difference between the OUT-THE-DOOR price and my down payment is what I'll be financing

This difference based my interest rate I qualify for ....will determine my monthly payment for 60 months...

Does this sound correct to all of you?

If not, would should be the chain of events to ensure I get my car at MSRP? :shrug:

Thanks for your advice...

Friendchicken

If you are financing, you can/should have them shop around for bank rates. Banks will give lower rates to customers that have better credit. Some banks will be more open to financing some people than others, but will have higher average rates.

MSRP is MSRP to the dealer. That is what they get anyway you look at it. If you have a trade in, you might be able to dicker on that.

Also ask them if they have any in-house rates. The more cash you have to put down, the better the rate they will give you (less risk).

When financing, the more you put down the better. An extra 1k down will drop your monthly $20 and might help you with rates after all is said and done.

If you are leasing, what you want to do is to have them increase the buyout value of the car at the end of the term and convince them you are going to own the car for the rest of your life. What this does is give you less to finance over a short time (getting a better lease rate), and lessen the risk to them for owning a car at the end of 4 years that is worth less than the overstated value (You hand the keys over at the end of the lease).

Being a 2003 SVT cobra, the value of the residual at the end of the lease term can be justified if it's higher. A full load 2003 Mustang GT would depreciate alot more considering its commonality.

Hope this helps and good luck. I am going through the same process this week.

MADGREEK

Established Member
Originally posted by RedHotSnke
Ok guys,

I'm going to get my Cobra on Weds. morning

I've been told I'm getting MSRP by sales manager (still doubtful)

Question: Should I first negotiate overall price? Meaning...determine what the overall price is out the door (MSRP+tax+license+misc. fees)

Then.....

Tell them (salesman) what I'm putting as a down payment, then based on difference between the OUT-THE-DOOR price and my down payment is what I'll be financing

This difference based my interest rate I qualify for ....will determine my monthly payment for 60 months...

Does this sound correct to all of you?

If not, would should be the chain of events to ensure I get my car at MSRP? :shrug:

Thanks for your advice...

go to galpin ford no mark up.... have bought two of them a 96 and 01 cobra no mark up the 01 was 0% interest

Users who are viewing this thread