Need your help!! What is the best value??

Schnell GT500

Established Member
Hey guys, so i'm in Germany and there are limited stock out here when it comes to cars. I am at a cross between 2 cars. In need of some insight on what other people would do in this situation. So basically, what is the better value in your opinion?

Car 1: 2008 Shelby GT500, with original 20,900 miles, black with alloy stripes. 5.4l Supercharged. Price: 29k

Car 2: 1999 SVT Cobra, 83k miles, red, 4.6L NA VA. Price: 10k

Thoughts?

52merc

Established Member
To my thinking it really depends on what you are looking to get out of the car and what you want to put into it. The price for the 99 is reasonable if it has been well maintained. Not sure about the GT500 as I'm not in a market for one. Both cars can be fun in their own ways, and both cars can respond well to modifications, if that's your plan.

Recon

Established Member
GT500. Since I’ve been told modified cars in Germany are frowned upon for the most part. I’ll take 500hp over 320. And I like the S197 I more than the new edge. I wish it had IRS and then it’d be perfect.

Pick your poison.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I'm in Spain and I hear you on limited stock lol. Are you military? If yes then I'd get a leftover 2018GT from MAS (military auto sales) for not very much more than that GT500 price. Plus the interest rates are the best. Just be aware that in Germany they are INSANE on the auto inspections. I know it was mentioned already but figure I'll mention it again. Even if you aren't military I'd still see what deal you could get on a new 2018/2019 GT... its a better car than the GT500 in every possible way.

$10k for that 99 Cobra is a little steep for USA price but out there that's not a bad deal at all. Just have to be aware that if the IRS in the 99 is still stock then it's going to have 20 year old rubber in it that was already sketch when it was new. Factor in all new bushings, cross axis links and then the labor to install it all will be $$$ if you don't have the tools/skills to DIY.

However if it was me and it was either of those 2 cars and the money was not a factor I'd get the GT500. And I have a 2000 GT with a 4V/IRS swap over here so this is coming from someone that basically has a 99/01 Cobra in Europe. Why? S197 platform is just better, its already got a built engine/trans and blower. Crazy euro inspection=keep the stock midpipe in storage and swap it on for inspections. Still make 500-550 to the wheels. Besides that an upper and lower pulley shouldn't fail inspection and neither should a tune and if they are now checking for aftermarket tunes you can just flash back to stock. If not then I bet you could get away with a 13/14 "OEM" TVS blower swap. In Spain they give no ****s for US Military owned cars that pass what is basically a safety check and that's it but if I get orders to Germany after this I will very likely have to sell the car. So if modding is something you are looking into doing then 100% get the GT500 out of those 2 because it's already got all the goodies stock which lets you get away with a lot more shit.

edit: Also if you are US Military, or even if not... you might want to look into importing. Its not as expensive as you might think to ship a car from the East Coast of the USA to Europe and it would open your selection up a ton. You would have to buy sight unseen but some of these cars on the SVTP market especially in the GT500 or Terminator section I wouldn't hesitate to do it. That's just me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread