Need upgrade help for Boss 302 to Laguna Seca package

NVR2L8

Established Member
If its a track only car, why not upgrade to coilovers and a 4 point cage? You can easily outperform a Boss LS with a little work

I agree about the coilovers, and I have a set of KWs that I will be installing. Against my better judgment (rollover protection), I don't think that I will put a 4 point in this car. The SCCA CCR does not provide chromoly specs, and the 2" D.O.M. required for the car weighs a ton, and bastardizes the car.

As for exceeding the LS specs, that will not be a problem. :beer:

NVR2L8

Established Member
Wouldn't it be cheaper to find a sell your existing Boss and buy a LS? In the end, your upgraded Boss will still be a Boss and not a LS. If the LS appreciates like we all hope, compare it to an early Shelby clone versus the original; the original is the way to go. I know, easy for me to say since I own one.

I have a theory about track cars. I assume that I will give them such a thrashing at the track that in 5 years the car will be almost worthless (that is, unless it gets totaled!). I will add the parts to improve performance, and I am too old to think about collector car value.

IMO, track cars are almost like track tires, you wear them out and then replace them. :beer:

NVR2L8

Established Member
OP, how do you like your KW coilovers?
I'm running variant3 and so far they have been great.

I have KW ClubSports, and I like them a lot. I have yet to become a suspension tuning expert, but I am getting better each year. I also have a bunch of track buddies to compare notes with.

:beer:

NVR2L8

Established Member
I know the reason for getting 18's, but you could get TSWs, Enkei's, Forgestars, etc etc for half the price.

I will definitely be running 18s on all four corners. I already have a lot of wheels, and the tire selection (and cost) is so much better. In addition, I can run "scrubs" with 18s, but not 19s.

NVR2L8

Established Member
Just an option for rear bracing similar to the LS rear seat brace, plus with the Steeda one you can keep the rear seats. Not that anybody can actually fit back there but you know, just in case. Steeda 2005-14 Mustang Rear Chassis X-Brace - Made in USA 555-5093 - Free Shipping!

Good option, although I prefer a welded version, and have looked at a couple of custom variations.

BTW, did you know that a rear seat delete (including belts) is only an net 18 lb. weight reduction? It's worthless, but it's light!

86Fbody

Established Member
I have a theory about track cars. I assume that I will give them such a thrashing at the track that in 5 years the car will be almost worthless (that is, unless it gets totaled!). I will add the parts to improve performance, and I am too old to think about collector car value.

IMO, track cars are almost like track tires, you wear them out and then replace them. :beer:

OH NO, you would dare ride hard and put away wet your rare car. Best idea ever, no fun looking and not using the thing.

5 DOT 0

Established Member
The main performance difference between the Boss 302 and LS is the R comp tires. The rest really won't matter. If you want to make your Boss into a Laguna Feca you'll want the X brace and RSD kit. :beer:

'03GTinFLA

Established Member
Good option, although I prefer a welded version, and have looked at a couple of custom variations.

BTW, did you know that a rear seat delete (including belts) is only an net 18 lb. weight reduction? It's worthless, but it's light!

Good to know because I have to keep my back seat in order to use my son's car seat. At least that's a Recaro too. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread