Need tuning help please. Went from Manual Trans to 4r70w swap

madtrav2003

Horsepower Whore
Established Member
I'm having trouble on what I need to turn off in the tune in order for this car to stay out of limp mode and throwing the wrench light. I would like to turn off everything with the VSS and not even run the speedometer what so ever just so I can get it on the rollers without the throttle closing on me. Would anyone be willing to tell me what to turn off in the tune to make this work. I'm getting desperate over here. And it's a 2012 GT with the manual computer. Thank you.

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Why don't you just wire up the VSS in the 4R? You need to disable clutch protection from what i'm aware so the pcm doesn't think that the clutch is being slipped due to no change in vehicle speed. I'm assuming you disabled traction control correct?

Last edited:

madtrav2003

Horsepower Whore
Established Member
Yes I sure did disable all traction control abs etc. I have it wired up and it works but reading 4x's what the speed I'm really doing actually. I just will need to play with the gear ratio til it's correct or I might just get the electronic speedo box to slow the pulses down but that will come later. Just trying to get on the rollers for now. Don't care if the speedo works or not

usmotox

Living the Dream!
Established Member
can you get or will a auto ECU fix your ill's anyone you know have the same car in an auto let you swap the box for a couple miles?? Make a friend at the junk yard rent a box? buy it if it works?? Just stuff I have done over the years good luck--

Sorry others posted while I was slowly thinking and typing :)

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
Yes I sure did disable all traction control abs etc. I have it wired up and it works but reading 4x's what the speed I'm really doing actually. I just will need to play with the gear ratio til it's correct or I might just get the electronic speedo box to slow the pulses down but that will come later. Just trying to get on the rollers for now. Don't care if the speedo works or not

Ok. I have to go into my strategy file and see if it allows oss count changes like older models, I don't remember off hand. If so, correction can be done through that, and gear ratio tuning.

madtrav2003

Horsepower Whore
Established Member
changed the oss count from 36 (I believe) to 12 but I would like to turn that all off completely if possible. Just looking for a list of things to turn off to keep from going into limp mode

Last edited:

01bluesnake

Established Member
The OSS count on the 4R depending what drum you have is 6 or 24. I'm unsure myself how to completely disable clutch protection, if that is in fact what is kicking in.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I just checked my file and shows a value of 34 for the factory OSS count. Try switching it to 6 or 24 and see if the speedo corrects. I also noticed a option to enable speed generated by pcm, not sure what that does, but might be worth a shot to turn of by OSS and turn on by PCM. Can see what that does as far as speed calculation. I wish i had more time to play with the clutch protection strategy, would like to try a few things to see how it can be turned off. Also, have you been able to figure out what torque source control is causing the issue?

Last edited:

madtrav2003

Horsepower Whore
Established Member
I haven't figured out a thing so far. My tuner had me order the speedo correction box to change the 3 wire vss to the 2 wire and thinks that will fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread