Need to replace TOB, should I do the clutch too?

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
So it sounds as though my TOB is going, I'm getting the chirp/tick noise when the clutch is disengaged but goes away as soon as I engage the clutch.
I'm looking at getting the FRPP TOB and the TOB sleeve from lethal performance.
I did a ton of research on here but just had a few specific questions that I'm hoping to get some opinions on.
My cobra is only weekend driven and never sees the track. It has just over 14,000 miles on the stock clutch right now with the basic mods (pulled, CAI, exhaust)

In regards to the mileage I'm wondering if I should just do the TOB and sleeve or get a clutch kit, sleeve, pilot bearing and do everything while the tranny is dropped. I'd rather not spend the extra money if I don't have to but also don't want this to come back to haunt me down the road lol.

TIA!

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I would change it out for sure, the $300 now, can save you an extra $500 later.
How hard are those 14k miles? You mentioned your mods and that you never took it to the track, but do you drive it like you stole it, or are they more "gentle" miles?
Have you tried a firewall adjuster?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if my clutch was not slipping, and i did not want to spend extra money like you said, i would just do the throwout bearing (and the sleeve is a worthwhile upgrade).

in my experience you have to do tob's alot more frequently than clutches, so might as well get as much mileage out of your stock clutch as you can, esp since it's just a weekend driver.

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member
I would change it out for sure, the $300 now, can save you an extra $500 later.
How hard are those 14k miles? You mentioned your mods and that you never took it to the track, but do you drive it like you stole it, or are they more "gentle" miles?
Have you tried a firewall adjuster?

There's not much hard miles, I bought it with 5k miles on it completely stock, and I only rip on it every now and then, mostly just cruises. Haven't tried the firewall adjuster but it's something I'll definitely look into.

if my clutch was not slipping, and i did not want to spend extra money like you said, i would just do the throwout bearing (and the sleeve is a worthwhile upgrade).

in my experience you have to do tob's alot more frequently than clutches, so might as well get as much mileage out of your stock clutch as you can, esp since it's just a weekend driver.

That's a good point, it's not slipping whatsoever and I've read about people on here getting a lot of miles out of their OEM clutch. I feel like the clutch "should" have a lot of life left, but can't be certain lol.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If they are 14k easy miles, then you are probably safe holding my off on a new clutch. Try a quality firewall adjuster before diving into a new TOB and sleeve.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Stock clutch is very strong in my book..

I did mine at 365,000 and I feel it had a lot more..

I tracked it for 3yrs just on test and tune night..having fun

I've done the tob many times..solo driveway job very easy

Stock clutch is adjustable by lifting up on clutch pedal..and seem to loosen if side stepping pedal allowing it to fly up.

Bearing retainer (sleeve) is a must..most have broken.mine did at 40k.
I had a friend going to fort worth TX and he took my front cover and had tremec install tube..this was in 04..not sure on type but it's a 2 piece ..it has a collar that slides over tube and is between tob and cover..that's where old 1 snapped.

Driving habits wear out clutch more than power I feel. .

cobra940

Calgarian Cobra
Established Member

Stock clutch is adjustable by lifting up on clutch pedal..and seem to loosen if side stepping pedal allowing it to fly up.

I had a friend going to fort worth TX and he took my front cover and had tremec install tube..this was in 04..not sure on type but it's a 2 piece ..it has a collar that slides over tube and is between tob and cover..that's where old 1 snapped.

Wow 365000! This is exactly why I'm hesitant to jumping the gun on replacing the clutch. Did you replace the pilot bearing each time?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

hotcobra03

Established Member
Wow 365000! This is exactly why I'm hesitant to jumping the gun on replacing the clutch. Did you replace the pilot bearing each time?
Never touched pilot bearing yet..

20150314_173332.jpg

hotcobra03

Established Member

bigwave

Established Member

I'd just replace what is broke, TOB and maybe sleeve if it looks or feels warn.

I just did mine, McLeod twin disk clutch, sleeve, TOB, Idle Bearing, 26 spline input shaft, new fly wheel, pivot ball, yada... yada.... Everything went well, measured out well, felt good, etc. NO WAY!
Boy am I regretting it, allot of $$$ and now making crazy noises, major regret and major $$$$. Dumb, Dumb, I let my son talk me into these upgrades and now I'm taking it all back apart this weekend to try and figure out what is messed up. My clutch was slipping badly and car has 40k miles, so, I did have to do something. But, wish I had stayed stock.

Jason G76

SVT build
Established Member
So it sounds as though my TOB is going, I'm getting the chirp/tick noise when the clutch is disengaged but goes away as soon as I engage the clutch.
I'm looking at getting the FRPP TOB and the TOB sleeve from lethal performance.
I did a ton of research on here but just had a few specific questions that I'm hoping to get some opinions on.
My cobra is only weekend driven and never sees the track. It has just over 14,000 miles on the stock clutch right now with the basic mods (pulled, CAI, exhaust)

In regards to the mileage I'm wondering if I should just do the TOB and sleeve or get a clutch kit, sleeve, pilot bearing and do everything while the tranny is dropped. I'd rather not spend the extra money if I don't have to but also don't want this to come back to haunt me down the road lol.

TIA!

Always replace all parts of the clutch cause next thing you know another component will fail.... my experience
And if your having a shop do it you pay labor one time
Edit:: after thinking more about it tho... we all have our experience and some circumstances may or will vary, but this is just my opinion and when I replaced mine... I didn't replace stock cable and quadrant (big mistake) in a couple months my TOB was making that damn squeak tap noise and my cable had stretched so I went with Ford racing cable steeda firewall adjuster and quadrant.. still didn't fix it so I had to replace clutch fork and pivot ball and then readjust everything and it's now a perfect clutch.... BTW it's a McCloud street pro or something like that with a BCW TOB I think... something like that, I'd have to look at the receipt to be sure

Good luck whichever direction you choose

Last edited:

Jason G76

SVT build
Established Member
Always replace all parts of the clutch cause next thing you know another component will fail.... my experience
And if your having a shop do it you pay labor one time
Edit:: after thinking more about it tho... we all have our experience and some circumstances may or will vary, but this is just my opinion and when I replaced mine... I didn't replace stock cable and quadrant (big mistake) in a couple months my TOB was making that damn squeak tap noise and my cable had stretched so I went with Ford racing cable steeda firewall adjuster and quadrant.. still didn't fix it so I had to replace clutch fork and pivot ball and then readjust everything and it's now a perfect clutch.... BTW it's a McCloud street pro or something like that with a BCW TOB I think... something like that, I'd have to look at the receipt to be sure

Good luck whichever direction you choose

Also when I did all this my clutch was still ok.... but it was one noisy embarrassing mofo.... made my car sound wore out when I'd pull up beside someone lol.. which it is far from words out it actually has lower miles than many of the newer ones around... so I went for a better upgrade on everything.... no more noises

Jason G76

SVT build
Established Member

Uhh... I don't know about that , I once had a 93 cobra built with force induction and the clutch could not handle it... wore in a matter of months
However bad driving habits will wear a clutch yes.... but power does too.... just my opinion and what I've experienced

19935.slow

Established Member
I get a small chirp noise with the clutch out with under 50k miles. All my friends Cobras or Mach 1's did it. I wouldn't touch mine.

Jason G76

SVT build
Established Member
I get a small chirp noise with the clutch out with under 50k miles. All my friends Cobras or Mach 1's did it. I wouldn't touch mine.

Yea if it's small I wouldn't either... mine sounded horrible, in fact, the TOB kinda came apart in my hand lol

bigwave

Established Member
Took mine all back apart this weekend, after replacing everything including the input shaft, due to noise after replacing everything 2 weeks ago. I will say, first time 2 weeks ago 14 hour job, this weekend all the tricks fresh in mine, 5:20 min, cold probably do 4:~ now. All looked and felt perfect, re-shimmed the input shaft and put it all back together, still not perfect, but probably 40-60% less noise. All VERY fresh in my mind, if you need any advice or not understanding exactly what you are reading let me know, a few tricks save a TON of time. It's not a hard job if you have a lift and a friend, and about 5 extensions!

Users who are viewing this thread