Need to Borrow Stock 03 Alt Pulley

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
Metco Alternator Pulley too far Forward, causing belt misalignment

Ive been having belt squealing issues after slinging a belt off. I put on a metco 3.5" OD alternator pulley with separate spacer bushing to match the speed of the 6# caged lower and the lower idler came off while driving and slung the belt loose but in the process rubbed on the rib of my new caged lower, which is of course custom made and not easily replaced as well as the alternator rib.

Now I think the new alternator pulley is spaced farther away from the case than the stock one and that misalignment is making the ribs in the belt angled slightly, but enough to cause increased noise and premature wear, in combination with whatever damage to the belt the damaged rib is causing, and unfortunately I lost my stock alternator pulley in the process. :bash:

EDIT: I have acquired another stock alternator pulley to measure against the metco, which i did at work using a granite block and caliper and found the metco pulley to be 40 thousandths too far forward.

IMG_20120309_125941.jpg

IMG_20120309_125911.jpg

The stock pulley is on the left

This is after machining the spacer down 40 thou:
IMG_20120309_142130.jpg

I had to grind a bit off the aluminum ring around the shaft to make sure it didnt run against the now closer back face of the pulley, but it was very little and i easily did it with my dremel. I edited this post to show what I found purely for the knowledge of others on here.

Last edited:

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
Got the pulley in tim, it looks great, thanks! Ill post pictures with my measurements in this thread tomorrow for anyone worried about belt alignment with Metco alt pulleys

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
I measured the factory pulley on a granite block vs my metco 3.5" two piece pulley and found the metco pulley sits 40 thousandths (.040") forward of the factory pulley which once I post the pictures is about half a rib of misalignment, when the two pulleys are touching, and considering how far outboard of the engine the alternator sits, it stands to reason this could be greatly exascerbating my belt squeal noise. Ill post the pictures tomorrow on my work computer

Jad G

Broke but fast
Established Member
I had the spacer machined down 40 thou to make the pulley line up correctly, and found the chance of interference with a raised aluminum ring around the shaft against the back face of the pulley, so I covered the holes with duct tape and used my dremel to clearance the aluminum. Ill post pics of the fixed pulley spacer and how it lines up as well tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread