Need Tire Recommendations

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
My R is in need of new tires, I'm looking for something in a 305/30 +325/30 setup with a little more tread life and wet traction than the Cup 2's?The car is daily driven year round in FL with no track use. My original plan was the Continental Extreme contacts or Michelin PS4's, unfortunately both are on back order until March or possibly later.

jvandy50

Established Member
Premium Member
I use the MP4S in those sizes on my ZLE for the street and they’re great. Very concerning to know if i catch a nail, the car will be grounded.

Just a month or so ago a place called priority tire had a basically half off sale, so i picked up 2 rears. I wonder why the shortage?

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I use the MP4S in those sizes on my ZLE for the street and they’re great. Very concerning to know if i catch a nail, the car will be grounded.

Just a month or so ago a place called priority tire had a basically half off sale, so i picked up 2 rears. I wonder why the shortage?

Tire Rack said that Michelin switched production to winter and all terrain tires. Right now they're saying March is the earliest they would be available again

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I had extreme contacts and thought they were a good tire. Did a decent job of hooking on my gt500

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Would they have a better life than a drag radial but not as good traction? I daily drive mine and the drag radial is pretty good for hooking up but not a good daily driving tire.

Sent from my SM-G935V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Correct on both. Maybe 85% of traction of a DR but 125% more drivable. You will get 3-5x the miles out of them. Also if you like to take corners they are 100% better. I switched out for DRs but I prefer straight line traction and do not drive much.

07 Black Beauty

Established Member
I had extreme contacts and thought they were a good tire. Did a decent job of hooking on my gt500

The Extreme Contacts were my 1st choice as they run very close size wise to the factory Cup2's. Unfortunately the Extreme Contacts are on backorder too

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
My R is in need of new tires, I'm looking for something in a 305/30 +325/30 setup with a little more tread life and wet traction than the Cup 2's?The car is daily driven year round in FL with no track use. My original plan was the Continental Extreme contacts or Michelin PS4's, unfortunately both are on back order until March or possibly later.
If you have the $$$$ the Pirelli Trofeo R's in 305/30 and 325/30 are awesome. I bought a set a couple of years ago on a clearance and ran them last year for track season and really liked them. Great grip, wore really well and no tramlining.

ANGREY

Established Member
No free lunches and no answer to all prayers in any tire.

Generally speaking, more performance = higher cost = less life.

If it's grippy, it probably ain't gonna last long and it's gonna be shite in cold weather.

If it lasts long and works well in the rain or cold weather it probably ain't gonna do well max performance wise.

For non DR radials, the absolute best straight line performance tire is the R888R. The Cups 2's are a little behind (straight line). Both are expensive and both don't last for shit.

4S last much longer, do significantly better in rain and colder temps, but they're a NOTICEABLE droppoff in both straight line and lateral grip. If you modify your car (say max bolt ons) then even a 325 meat in the back is largely useless with MPSS or 4S. They roll over like skates.

This is because in a 19" tire, most of them are 30 or 35 profile. There's just not enough sidewall to flex.

DR's are much better for straight line, but are terrible and spongy for turns and hit or miss depending on the tire for rain performance.

DR's on a 19" tire are kinda wasteful, it's a tweener, it doesn't give you the straight line grip of a 17" or smaller big sidewall tire and it's a marked reduction in turning and lateral grip. Basically it's the worst of both worlds, you can't hook like a drag slick and you can't turn like a track radial.

So in the end, it's, do you wanna go fast in a straight line (but still not as fast as if you swapped rear brakes and went to a true DR) or do you wanna go fast in turns with confidence. The faster you push for either means less lifespan and generally higher purchase costs.

Users who are viewing this thread