Need suggestions/opinions (on whether to buy this..) 2000 Viper GTS :)

DICobra

Established Member
Hey Guys, I know this is not a Terminator question but just needed some opinions or suggestions before I pull the trigger on getting this 2000 Viper GTS with 54,500 miles and the dealer tag is $34,000. Is it worth it to buy at this mileage and the price? I have been searching and seems like this is quite a good deal. I Like the older body style vipers than the newer ones. Let me know guys what do you think... Much appreciated :). Here's the Viper by the way : http://iphone.worldimportsusa.com/i...iper-99701ca10a0d0649019f5d89afead734_p_2Ehtm

Last edited:

SLVRBLT

Such is Life....
Established Member
I wouldnt do it IMO. The color theme on this one is throwing me off. Unless you're going to spend money re doing some of it (red dash, stripes, headlights, wheels).

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
sick looking cars but ive heard lots of bad reviews. like they are just an all around awkward car, hard to get into and out of, not comfy at all, not a smooth ride. For a fast car to rip around in I wouldn't go for a viper. If its just a toy to bring to car shows than yes because it looks awesome.

Azrael

Úlfhéðnar
Established Member
Buy it like you would any car like that. Get it dyno'd. Get a shop to compression test and leak down test the motor. Check for slippage of the clutch, rear end play, etc.
If you don't feel comfortable in your mechanical ability there are plenty of shops that will do a VERY detailed inspection for everything I said above for around 500-1000$ if you explain to them exactly what you're buying and what you want confirmed.

I'm sure that dealership will understand and accommodate you accordingly to verify their claims and the state of the vehicle.

See if they have any papers or the number of the last owner, find out where it was registered previously, call around to the local shops and see if anyone knows the car.

2000hp vipers don't just spring from the dirt. Someone had to build the motor, the kit, probably the tranny, and the rear end, plus the fuel system, etc.
As you may or may not know the viper and cobra are VERY similar vehicles. It's gonna take almost the exact same mods to make a cobra handle 2k as a viper. You can't just bolt that type of power on and go about your day.

Do your homework and you'll find out if it's a steal or a lemon. If everything checks out on that car I'd buy it in a heart beat. Underground racing wants like 125k to make a 2000hp viper. So if it's LEGIT (doubt it) 2k hp and has the proper supporting mods then 35k is the deal of a life time.

Most likely everything is stock and they slapped on a 8000$ turbo kit, pumped it to 700-800rwhp and beat on it. After that power range the motor needs upgrading and so does the rest of the drive system (trans & rear). Still though if the car isn't hurt then 35k is a great price for any year viper that has any type of functioning power adder.

I've been in the market for a viper for a long time now but I just cant bring myself to have the cobra, viper, and bike at the same time. But if I was looking and saw that car and it checked out I'd snatch it in a second.

2000 Model Year, not HP.

DICobra

Established Member
Thanks Guys for the inputs :) I'll research more and hopefully find a good one ... Also, Thanks Jimmy for moving my thread to the right one, got more inputs now :)

jrd699

All men not created equal
Established Member
HELL NO!!! looks like it was ridden hard and put away wet. You can get a much nicer car for that kind of money. Even the interior looks cheap. Stay away... Far away
That car wouldn't pull 20k @ auction

Last edited:

Digital

Established Member
Dodge : Viper Dodge : Viper | eBay

There was a 2006 hard top a few weeks ago with a rebuild title that went for around 35k. Had like 28k miles on it. 06/07 is personally my favorite year that's even remotely affordable. If you keep your eyes out especially at the auctions you can pick up some sweet vipers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread