Need some positive thoughts.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
ATTENTION!! SLIGHTLY GRAPHIC PHOTOS MAY BE ATTACHED IN LATER POSTS

Hey all,

My 19 year old brother-in-law decided to leave his brain at home last night and got behind the wheel after a late night of drinking. :nonono:

At 5am he went off the roadway and struck a tree. The truck he was driving is old and not equipped with air bags. Even with a seatbelt on he managed to stop his forward motion with his face. The steering wheel helped from the other side.

He managed to crawl out of his truck and woke the resident whose yard he ended up in. Medics transported him to one hospital, then he was transported to OSU Hospital in Columbus (about 2 hrs from previous hospital) To begin extensive reconstructive surgery to his face. His arm is broken, his wrist is shattered. He has extensive damage to his face. The skin from his cheek ended up imbedded in his nasal cavity. He has multiple fractures to his face. Much of the skin on the lower part of his chin was peeled back. They were able to stitch that back up but the large whole in his face is going to require a little more effort.

I am not sure yet of his level of intoxication but for a minor under 21 in Ohio the legal limit is only .02. I briefly spoke with his mother and she couldn't recall the exact number but tests showed over .10.

He drives a truck for a living, has no medical insurance. And runs around like he is invincible. He has a ton of growing up to do. Maybe this will help.

Just some positive energy sent our families way will be much appreciated.

Moral of the story...Don't drink and drive. Period.

It's ironic that I worked an OVI task force this weekend and was taking in teenage drunk drivers all weekend. Little did I know a few counties away (in an area I used to work) this was happening.

I'll throw up a few pics of the truck and my bro-in laws face when I get some.

Sorry for the long read.

CLIFFS: 19 y/o bro-in-law got drunk, wrecked his truck, ****ed his face up. Still in hospital. Don't drink and drive.

Last edited:

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
WARNING Slightly GRAPHIC

adam.gif

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Damn man looks terrible. Best of luck, hope he heals quickly.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
He crawled out of the sliding back window to get out.

Looks like they are getting ready to release him from the hospital. No swelling of the brain or anything like that. He will have a long road to recover but it could be a lot worse.

My wife went to her mothers house and checked out the crash scene Which was only about 2 miles from his house. She said the track from where he left the road to where he finally struck the tree is about 1/4 mile long. He took out several small trees and signs along the way. He clearly had no clue what was happening.

Thanks for the words guys.

As soon as he heals I'm kicking his ass hardcore!

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
that coulda been much much worse.

I agree, he normally doesn't wear his seatbelt. But he said he had a bad feeling so he put it on before he left.

No shit, he should have got back out of the truck. Apparently the house he was at was his best friends. They got into an argument and he decided to leave.

megameGT500

Suck it up and drive on!!
Established Member
I did the same thing in 1987 with a 77 El Camino. I hit a tree my chest hit the steering wheel (I was wearing my seatbelt) the girl that was with me was not wearing hers. She bounced around the cab like pinball and spent a week in the hospital. I was not hospitalized. I was DRUNK but for some reason not charged. Anyway, I know emotionally what he is going through. That was my GROW UP moment. I hope this was his and hope that his physical scars heal and that he learns whatever does not kill you makes you stronger and moves on and does great things in the future.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
I did the same thing in 1987 with a 77 El Camino. I hit a tree my chest hit the steering wheel (I was wearing my seatbelt) the girl that was with me was not wearing hers. She bounced around the cab like pinball and spent a week in the hospital. I was not hospitalized. I was DRUNK but for some reason not charged. Anyway, I know emotionally what he is going through. That was my GROW UP moment. I hope this was his and hope that his physical scars heal and that he learns whatever does not kill you makes you stronger and moves on and does great things in the future.

Very well said! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the insight.

oldmodman

Established Member
Do you think he will actually learn anything from this?

And do you thing he will be charged with DUI? Or they will just let it go since he has "been punished enough"

Was it his own truck that he drives for his job? If so, then he's out of work too.

I hope he heals with no permanent disabilities from this.

zerocool

Douchy McDoucherson
Established Member
Very well said! :thumbsup:

Thank you for the insight.

Honestly nothing changed me or turned me around like getting arrested my freshman year for PI. I don't drink anymore and I've straightened myself out completely. Mark my words, it will be better for him, in the end, to be punished to the full letter of the law rather than get an out. It was just a stupid, young mistake, but it will definitely turn out for the best. Good luck to him, and here's to a speedy recovery so you can beat him down haha. :beer:

P.S. Glad he's got someone like you in his life. Definitely be supportive, my parents hugging me and telling me they still loved me when they bailed me out was a huge eye-opener, but also my father telling me that I was going to destroy my life if I kept up my path was an invaluable lesson so be tough too.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Wow - that's awful, but it could have been much much worse. It's good he has someone like you in his life.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A hard lesson learned. Little pity from me but I am glad no one else was hurt. Again. a hard way to learn what we all know is stupid.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
Do you think he will actually learn anything from this?

And do you thing he will be charged with DUI? Or they will just let it go since he has "been punished enough"

Was it his own truck that he drives for his job? If so, then he's out of work too.

I hope he heals with no permanent disabilities from this.

I'm hoping he will learn something. But I haven't talked to him yet. The last time I did talk to him he was bitching to me about a speeding ticket he got. :shrug:

I'm almost positive they will charge him with OVI. But then again it's not my call so we will see.

The truck actually belongs to his older brother. He gave it to him when he got a new one. He uses it for transportation to and from work. He has a Commercial CDL and drives semi for a large farm. He really screwed things up there. He will lose his license if he is charged.

By the way the Dr.'s are talking it seems like only cosmetic to his face and the other injuries they predict will heal well.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
i know the best hand/wrist surgeons in columbus (they don't work at OSU). just let me know if you want their names, as he will probably need further surgery if his wrist is that bad.

svtcop

Pain Don't Hurt
Established Member
A hard lesson learned. Little pity from me but I am glad no one else was hurt. Again. a hard way to learn what we all know is stupid.

He won't get much pity from me either. I'm glad he didn't have anyone else with him.

i know the best hand/wrist surgeons in columbus (they don't work at OSU). just let me know if you want their names, as he will probably need further surgery if his wrist is that bad.

Thanks man. I may hit you up.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
Dumb move on his part, I hope he is ok, and learns his lesson. If I drink more then 3 drinks I won't drive. I'll wait it out, because I sober up fast, or I'll have someone come and get me.

Users who are viewing this thread