Need some maintaining help

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
Hey guys, I have a few questions to ask. First of all my Cobra is rarely being used. I'm having my father start it up like twice a month and letting it run for a good 10 mins. Once in a while the Cobra will be driven around the block to get a little gas. I won't be home for another year or so.

My question is... Is my Cobra going to need to be looked at that should be importantance? Like a compression and leak down would be recomended?

The oil was change in Sep 09 and I drove it when I was home on leave. I put less than 200 miles on it. I know I should let go get a oil change but is it fine until i get back?

I'm looking to be home around mid Oct 2011

Thanks.

mike_b_svt

Top down and cruisin'
Established Member
Hey guys, I have a few questions to ask. First of all my Cobra is rarely being used. I'm having my father start it up like twice a month and letting it run for a good 10 mins. Once in a while the Cobra will be driven around the block to get a little gas. I won't be home for another year or so.

My question is... Is my Cobra going to need to be looked at that should be importantance? Like a compression and leak down would be recomended?

The oil was change in Sep 09 and I drove it when I was home on leave. I put less than 200 miles on it. I know I should let go get a oil change but is it fine until i get back?

I'm looking to be home around mid Oct 2011

Thanks.

Personally, I would change the oil to full synthetic, and probably change it once a year minimum (just for degredation over time). As for starting it, I would - at a minimum - start it every 2 weeks like you are doing. Be sure to run it long enough for it to get up to operating temperature, and then another 5 minutes. This will help evaporate any moisture buildup.

Ideally, you would have someone drive it around (like to work and back once or twice a month) instead of just starting it up - that way ALL the fluids, lubes and greases get moved around and warmed up.

Of course, whoever drives it around might decide that they like it and end up putting more miles on it than you really want... :burnout:

As for leakdown and compression; I wouldn't think that the seals will fail over that short a time. Heck, half the guys on here only use thier cars one season a year!

svtcobrar2004

Established Member
Personally, I would change the oil to full synthetic, and probably change it once a year minimum (just for degredation over time). As for starting it, I would - at a minimum - start it every 2 weeks like you are doing. Be sure to run it long enough for it to get up to operating temperature, and then another 5 minutes. This will help evaporate any moisture buildup.

Ideally, you would have someone drive it around (like to work and back once or twice a month) instead of just starting it up - that way ALL the fluids, lubes and greases get moved around and warmed up.

Of course, whoever drives it around might decide that they like it and end up putting more miles on it than you really want... :burnout:

As for leakdown and compression; I wouldn't think that the seals will fail over that short a time. Heck, half the guys on here only use thier cars one season a year!

awsome, thanks a lot for the advice i'll pass this on to the care takers of my cobra.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member

+1 Good advice

Users who are viewing this thread