Need some lowered vehicle wise men for question.

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Just bought an 03 Cobra, pretty much stock but it is on lowering springs. So I’ve never owned a lowered anything. I love the look but with the knowledge base on here I thought I’d ask some things.

So generally, do I need to worry about anything specifically wearing out? Again, be gentle I’m clueless on this.

Anything I have to worry about not doing besides keeping my ass away from tall things?

Besides that. I’m open to all comments. May sound stupid to some to even ask but I’d rather risk a pointless thread then grenade something. Just making sure I’m informed a little better than I am currently. Thanks

-Dan

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

badmpg03

Established Member
How does it ride now and how much are you lowered?
Generally you should be fine with springs.
If you are doing more spirited or performance driving, I would look at bump steer kits to help correct the geometry

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
How does it ride now and how much are you lowered?
Generally you should be fine with springs.
If you are doing more spirited or performance driving, I would look at bump steer kits to help correct the geometry

I’m not sure about the measurements. If it gives you an idea, I’m 6 “3 of average build and I can barely fit my arm and shoulder under the car coming from the side.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
As long as the alignment is good you'll be fine. As you said watch out for steep driveways stuff like that.

shurur

Established Member
When going over larger speed bumps, you may need to attack them at an angle so as to let one wheel go over the bump at a time.

Q: What springs do you have?
If not sure ...Are they red, blue, black?

Are they COs?

badmpg03

Established Member
I’m not sure about the measurements. If it gives you an idea, I’m 6 “3 of average build and I can barely fit my arm and shoulder under the car coming from the side.

If you stick your hand out like a handshake, how many fingers can you get in between the tire and fender

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
When going over larger speed bumps, you may need to attack them at an angle so as to let one wheel go over the bump at a time.

Q: What springs do you have?
If not sure ...Are they red, blue, black?

Are they COs?

Good advice. If in doubt, angle shot it. The black plastic lip on the bottom of the front bumper is unnecessarily expensive if you want to replace it with a new OEM piece.

Depending on which springs you have (how much they've lowered the vehicle), they'll wear out the struts/shocks more quickly. The lower, the quicker. Also, the lower you go, the more you need to worry about suspension geometry being way off. Your tires will wear funny (likely the inside shoulders if the camber is off) and the handling will suck. The front end also becomes less predictable/consistent under heavy braking.

CO's = coil overs just to be clear. You said be gentle, after all. lol

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Modding a car's suspension is a bottomless pit and it's totally up to the owner to figure out how deep they want to go. On h&r sports with front isos removed I added caster camber plates to make alignment easier.

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

BLK03SVT24

Established Member
Good advice. If in doubt, angle shot it. The black plastic lip on the bottom of the front bumper is unnecessarily expensive if you want to replace it with a new OEM piece.

Depending on which springs you have (how much they've lowered the vehicle), they'll wear out the struts/shocks more quickly. The lower, the quicker. Also, the lower you go, the more you need to worry about suspension geometry being way off. Your tires will wear funny (likely the inside shoulders if the camber is off) and the handling will suck. The front end also becomes less predictable/consistent under heavy braking.

+1 on this. I've had my car lowered for years with only H&R springs, all top isos removed and it scrapes almost everything no matter what but going in at an angle helps. If nothing else I would get CC plates as soon as you can cause without the plates my cars alignment couldn't be adjusted any further.
If I could do it over again I would have done springs, CC plates, subframes, and an alignment all at the same time.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
I love the look having the lowering springs on mine, but that's about it. The ride sucks, I bottom out on everything, constantly have to hit things at angles. The worst part is when I hit a bump on the freeway my front tires will slightly rub the fender well cover - YES 100% stock tire size and wheel. Its ridiculous - I'm actually debating on putting factory springs back in.

Is there any kit that would give me an adjustable ride height from stock to lowered, and will that kit return to a factory comfortable feel with adjustment vs. stiffer for racing? I've been looking at coilover kits, but I have no idea what the F I am doing.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I love the look having the lowering springs on mine, but that's about it. The ride sucks, I bottom out on everything, constantly have to hit things at angles. The worst part is when I hit a bump on the freeway my front tires will slightly rub the fender well cover - YES 100% stock tire size and wheel. Its ridiculous - I'm actually debating on putting factory springs back in.

Is there any kit that would give me an adjustable ride height from stock to lowered, and will that kit return to a factory comfortable feel with adjustment vs. stiffer for racing? I've been looking at coilover kits, but I have no idea what the F I am doing.

Call MM and they will be more than happy to help.

Users who are viewing this thread