Need some input on brakes for a BMW.

CobraKid04

Established Member
My GFs father has a 2004 BMW 330ci vert sport. He needs new rotors and pads, and says a buddy of his will do the job he just needs to buy the parts.

He knows nothing about cars, so he asked me what to buy. I know mustangs and vettes, but when it comes to BMW...no idea..

what parts does he need and where is a good place to buy them? Dosen't need to be hi performance OE standards are fine.

also a local shop said he needs a new (thrust bushing?). what the hell is a thrust bushing. I told him that it sounded sexual and they might have been hitting on him hahah.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

redblazerx

Established Member
My GFs father has a 2004 BMW 330ci vert sport. He needs new rotors and pads, and says a buddy of his will do the job he just needs to buy the parts.

He knows nothing about cars, so he asked me what to buy. I know mustangs and vettes, but when it comes to BMW...no idea..

what parts does he need and where is a good place to buy them? Dosen't need to be hi performance OE standards are fine.

also a local shop said he needs a new (thrust bushing?). what the hell is a thrust bushing. I told him that it sounded sexual and they might have been hitting on him hahah.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Go OEM........You will need front pads, rotors and front brake wear sensor. There is only one sensor on the front caliper and one on the rear. I work in the parts department at my local BMW dealership and see this everyday. Its alway trouble for the people who try aftermarket on this stuff, they go buy aftermarket and then have us try to put it on. Its usually wrong ar they squeal.

I cant help you on the thrust bearing, but shoot me a PM of the last 7 digits of the VIN and I will look tomorrow and see what I can find......

Last edited:

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
I am a BMW technician and I have never seen any aftermarket pads or rotors that do not squeal or rattle. Go with OEM parts. They are more expensive but they are great parts. As mentioned before, you will need pads, rotors, and sensors.

2004 3 series doesn't have thrust rods like most BMWs, but would be willing to bet the shop meant control arm bushings for the front lower control arms. They tend to last around 90K miles. When they wear out they have the same symptoms of thrust rod bushings. The most noticeable symptom is 10mph and under feeling a clunk in the front of the car and the steering wheel when on and off the brake. We haven't had good luck with some aftermarket control arm bushings either.

You can look up part numbers on realoem.com

Last edited:

s_x_i

Established Member
The last 3 car's I've had as dailys have all been 330ci's the first thing I do is change out the lca bushings and shifter bushings. Makes so much difference once they get up around 75,000 miles.

CobraKid04

Established Member
i c.

well I told him to go OE and he doesn't think its necessary...so hes going with autozone brand...real good hahah

o well thanks for the input guys.

tallfreak

Just a newb
Established Member
Tell him not to bother with the control arm bushings if he is putting autozone brakes on it. They will soon warp and wear out new bushings. I see it all the time.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
getBMWparts.com is an online BMW dealership, similiar to Tousley Ford. See if they have comparable prices to the local stealership. I've ordered tons of parts through them with good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread