Need some help with supercharged GT

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
I don't know who else to ask, but I just got a 1996 GT with a Vortech V1 supercharger. It is pretty sweet. Anyhow it has new TRW dished-top pistons and I don't know what else. I am still making phone calls to find out if it has aftermarket injectors, fuel pump, etc. Well, when I romp on the motor it pings really bad and the check engine light is on. I think the boy ran 87 octane in it, because it was his brothers and he moved off leaving it behind.

Can you tell me if it needs a chip for the supercharger or not?

Thanks for any help at all,

Wildpony

Established Member
I would take that car to somebody who knows how to tune these-(not sure of the Texas tuners who know what they are doing, but I'm sure some of the other guys on here will help you out). Hopefully the motor isn't damaged and you just need minor stuff to prevent the pinging. The tuner will let you know if you have the right amt. of fuel,injector size,etc. YOu will also need to run at the least -premium gas depending on how much boost you are throwing at the engine along with other things.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
It could be a number of things. It might be that the plugs are gone and it is drowning causing spark knock. It could have the MSD DIS-4 on it? If so the gap might be too large causing some detonation. With dish top TRW's in it shouldn't be detonating. The compression is only going to be around 9 to 1. Provided the heads haven't been shaved. Do you know the original owner or person that had the work done? Contacting them can shed some valuable light on what is done and what needs to be done. Keep feeding info and we will all do our best to help.

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
OK, I put 93 octane in it and the check engine light went off, but when I romp on it, it still pings. It has a fuel pressure regulator on it. I am going to check/change the plugs and replace the fuel pump, because it sounds like it is fixing to go out. What size should I go with? 190lph?

Blackgeetee

Established Member
Hi Justin. Yeah a full tune up would definitely be a great idea, as it would be with any new purchase of a used car. Good luck and keep us informed on how it goes...

TRY2PAZ

Established Member
Hey man,
DON"T romp it anymore. Back the timing to 10 degrees.(Steeda Timing adjuster) ALways use 93 octane. By some new autolite 764's and gap them at .035.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
What does a fuel pump sound like when it is "getting ready to go out"? I've always heard they don't really give any notice, just quit working.

1. What size fuel pump does it have on it?
2. Does it have an auxillary pump installed?
3. Does it have a chip installed on it that matches your supercharged application?
4. Does it have an MSD ignition installed? (If so buying the timing adjusters is a HUGE waste of money. The DIS-4 has a timing retard function built-in.)
5. If the MSD is installed what are the plugs gapped at?
6. Plug part # from Ford AWSF-22C you can cross this over to the brand you like best. I use NGK, they seem to last longer in boosted applications. 1 year is still the recommended changing interval. If the MSD is installed you can run a slightly larger gap to help with the emissions. Emissions are probably the cause for your Check engine light. A small gap will prevent the spark from being blown out by the blower. This causes the car to be richer.
7. Does the car have an off-road exhaust on it?
8. Does the car have the MIL eliminators installed if ti does have off road exhaust?

Like I said a little more info would help.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
I bet it's an O2 sensor problem. But they have pretty much listed what to check.

1. Fuel delivery - i.e.: Fuel Pump, injector size, FMU(if it has one, which it should), fuel pressure underboost and type of fuel(run at least 93).
2. Spark and Timing - Check the gap on the plugs you are running(should be .35 without an ignition booster), also make sure the tempature rating of the plug is right for a blower, also have the timing checked. Easiest thing for the timing is a chip.
3. I would change the O2 sensors just encase.

Justin Blackwell

Established Member
OK, sorry it took so long. Here is all I have so far. This car has been passed down a few times, but is still in great shape. The exhaust is stock except for a dual Borla cat-back. This car has 6 cats under it! Dang! The ignition is stock. It has a fuel pump that says Vortech on it between the rear end and gas tank. I do not know about the injectors. I believe the loud irritating noise is the Vortech fuel pump. The boost guage says 7psi. in cold weather. It also has a conical K&N in the fender well behind the passenger fog light which is now removed for better air flow. The mass air is aluminum, so I am thinking it is aftermarket but can't reach it to remove it or see the dang thing. This is all I know about the car performance wise by just figuring out everything all on my own. It has no chip.
I am caring the car to a performance shop to put in new plugs, a smaller pulley for the s.c., and a custom burned chip. Do I need an aftermarket ignition?
The rest of the aftermarket parts include a full KENNY BROWN suspention including: strut tower brace, front struts, Bilstein shocks front and rear, lowered coils, and some kind of bar that is bolted and welded on the bottom of the frame. Looks like it keeps the frame from flexing. What are these parts worth?

I don't know much about Mustangs. I expertice is in Lightnings.

Thanks for everyone's help,
Justin

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
:eek: :eek: NO CHIP!! :eek: :eek:

No wonder the thing is pinging! It has WAAAY to much timing in it with the stock program for boost. Vortech sends a conservative chip along with all of their kits to alter fuel tabels and timing tabels. Without this chip your timing is waaaaay to much under boost conditions no matter what gas you run.

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by GR8WHITE
:eek: :eek: NO CHIP!! :eek: :eek:

No wonder the thing is pinging! It has WAAAY to much timing in it with the stock program for boost. Vortech sends a conservative chip along with all of their kits to alter fuel tabels and timing tabels. Without this chip your timing is waaaaay to much under boost conditions no matter what gas you run.

BINGO, WE HAVE A WINNER!!! GR8WHITE has said it.

Yep, that's your problem bud. Let us know how it turns out with the new chip.

Mikie2001GT

The Ghost with the Most !
Established Member
Definately needs a chip of some sorts!
How long has this pinging been noticable? You may already have damage because spark knock(detonation) is lethal if gone untreated, especially on a nossed or blown engine!
Do not drive the thing hard until you can get some type of custom programming for you vehicle.
Later

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
Yep! That ugly noise you hear is actually the sound of your pistons being beaten to death. It is burning ALL the fuel waaaay to soon in the cycle. (Too much timing)

hotrodcobra

Established Member
Do not put a smaller s/c pulley on until you have everything else worked out. I made a L shaped bracket and put some pieces of inner tube between them and this quited my fuel pump noise considerably.

Good luck,
Kirk

FriedRice

Established Member
Vortech sometimes re-flashes the ECU instead of sending a chip with their units. As a matter of fact a sales rep from Vortech told me it was better to re-flash then to chip it. Dunno don't have a supercharger yet.

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
That is an extra expense that requires you to send the ECU into them prior to getting the kit. All of their kits come with a chip standard. You can always opt for the ECU reprogram if you have the time and money.

Users who are viewing this thread