Need some help, the cobra is having issues.

SVTmunks

Established Member
Once again, the cobra has me baffled. Ill start with a little background: about a year ago it had a phantom coolant leak which turned out to be a pinhole leak in the cast iron block. That was welded up & some of those pellets that help stop up leaks were added to the coolant as well. On top of this, the temp guage in the car doesn't work. Ive had it "fixed" but it always stops working about a week afterward. Also, the car runs REALLY rich, but I haven't had the time/money to get it tuned.

Ok, now onto the current problems. My right exhaust tip had broke off the hanger putting a sizable hole in the exhaust. So, the other night my friend & I fixed that by re-welding it up. We disconnected the battery so we didn't fry anything electrical. Well, ever since then when I'm driving along (after the car has been running for a few minutes) if I put the car into neutral, take my foot off the clutch & just let it coast the RPM's drop to almost stall then they'll go back up & it repeats this until I slow down enough or if I re-depress the clutch. Everything is fine while I am giving it gas, or when the car is in gear or the clutch is engaged. Car is also ok at idle. It just happens if I'm driving along and put the car into neutral.

The morning after we re-welded the tip back up I checked the coolant & it was low (despite the low coolant light not being on). It looked like there was coolant on top of the reservoir coming from the cap (cap is not that old at all). So I topped it off and it hasn't gone down since, but I was driving around last night, after the car had been off for 4-5hrs, and just based off of having the heater on (remember, the temp guage doesn't work) the car seemed to heat up very quickly in just the few short minutes I was driving around. When I opened the hood to check on the coolant, the motor seemed hotter then usual.

So now comes the question: WTF is the deal!? Does it sound like these could just be one problem, or does it sound like multiple things are taking a shit on me all at once (This wouldn't surprise me). The car is now parked at my house and I don't really intend on driving it around until I figure out what the problem(s) is/are. I'd really appreciate any advice or help.

**Sorry about the long paragraph, I just kept typing and before I knew it thats what came out** Also, the coolant issue might have been the cap despite it not being old. I pressure tested it today at work and it was only holding 11psi instead of 16. So, I went ahead and replaced it. Hopefully it fixes that, but we'll see I guess.

Last edited:

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
Holy hell that's one big block of text...

Throw some page breaks in there and turn that into a few paragraphs, the way it is now we can't make hide nor hair of what it says :)

Dano

"Book 'em Dano"
Established Member
++ Kind of hard to get focused on all them words.

Right off the bat, I'd do something about that temperature gauge. Oh, BTW, you should top off the cooling system through the cross-over tube, not the overflow tank (called "burping").

What "fix" was done on the temperature gauge? I'd consider getting an aftermarket gauge. JMO

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
+2 on the temp gauge. If it was mine I would install a mech temp gauge at least until you figure out the problem. The idle issue my be from having the battery cable off and the computer relearning however mine was off all winter and when I started the car this weekend it ran fine.

SVTmunks

Established Member
Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it :) I edited the first post to make it easier to read and added new info too. I have been meaning to get an aftermarket guage for it, but money has meen coming up tight because of school and because I just received $622 in tickets...

White347Bullet

Established Member
I agree with the temp guage stated above. I'm pretty sure the 4v cobra's have an IAC valve. I had some crazy things happen with my rpm's in my old 2valve. To the point where I thought it was the end of the line for the motor. IAC was cheap and fixed the problem. I had a Vortech on it and every bolt on known to man and it scared the crap out of me when I had this stuff going on.

Cliff notes: If you have an IAC try changing it.

Users who are viewing this thread