Need some help, opinions. Thanks.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
So where I'm at. I am installing a 6r80 in my 03 cobra. The T-56 is out and sold. And I need to remove the driver side Kooks LT header for the 6r80 to fit. I picked up a HF 1000lb engine support bar. And was going to attach the 2 chains to the 2# coolant cross over studs. Which forum members have done with success... Any better spots?

I was thinking either place 2 jack stands with a piece of wood to bridge them under the oil pan to hold the engine in place while removing to K-member. Or a jack with a piece of wood on the oil pan. But have read that some forum members have damaged there oil pan trying to support the weight of the engine... Any better spots?

Working on the floor but car is on 12 ton JS so it's 27" up so that the 6r80 on a trans jack will slid under the car.

What/how would you do it, if in the same situation?

Thanks.

zredfire04

Established Member
i'd let the motor mounts hold the engine. it's not going anywhere. the support bar is a good tool if you're changing the k member with the engine in the car, though...unless you have a motor hoist, then it's pointless.

rymax101

Established Member
Do you have any of the accessories taken off. Both times I've used an engine support bar, I used the 2 bolts where the inner idler bracket attaches to the block.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
i'd let the motor mounts hold the engine. it's not going anywhere. the support bar is a good tool if you're changing the k member with the engine in the car, though...unless you have a motor hoist, then it's pointless.

I think the k member has to come off to get the headers out. Those are some big headers packed into a tight spot he’s dealing with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Do you have any of the accessories taken off. Both times I've used an engine support bar, I used the 2 bolts where the inner idler bracket attaches to the block.

No I don't, I will look into that location. Thanks.

Yeah as Roy has stated I need to remove the Kooks driver side LT header. And it's a biggan. Engine is in car with all hoses and wiring still attached. The transmission is out of car.

I was able to remove the MM steering shaft and get to 6 of the 8 DS header bolts/nuts off but the back 2 bolts/nuts are given me issues. So I have to drop the K to get to them.

Last edited:

zredfire04

Established Member
oh. didn't know the k had to come out. what a PITA.

if you take all the exhaust bolts out, would you be able to move the header enough to get the new tranny in?

MG0h3

Established Member
There are two empty bolt holes on the heads you can use. Ds is in front of the front port; PS is behind the rear port. Want to say they were 3/4 12 or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
oh. didn't know the k had to come out. what a PITA.

if you take all the exhaust bolts out, would you be able to move the header enough to get the new tranny in?

Yep.

I was tiring just that cause I only need about 1" or so. But once I got to the bottom back two nuts on the drive side. I realized with the trans installed I wouldn't be able to reach the very back bottom nut. Without the k dropped.

There are two empty bolt holes on the heads you can use. Ds is in front of the front port; PS is behind the rear port. Want to say they were 3/4 12 or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Thanks. I have read about those 2 spots. I am just being picky now. I set up my engine hoist. Even pulled the front bumper and hood off. The legs of the hoist are in the way. On the floor. And it seems to me that even with the leveler on the hoist. The engine would wobble too much. When mating the trans to motor.

So that's why I am trying to use the engine support bar and a jack or jack stands.
Thinking that might be a little more stable.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
That sucks I’ll be doing his in April and have kooks 1 7/8 headers I was hoping not to have to remove them......sounds like a good time to go turbo now as well

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
That sucks I’ll be doing his in April and have kooks 1 7/8 headers I was hoping not to have to remove them......sounds like a good time to go turbo now as well

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I did try when I stripped the trans case to shove it in between the headers and I couldn't. I ask a forum member who also has Kooks 1 7/8's/6r80 swap what he did. He said he removed the DS header.

And yeah I thought about that a couple times. Even calculated what everything would cost after selling off the blower/exhaust parts. A couple times... Even pictured a nice ceramic coated 8285 bb but that's down the road. I wanna injoy the blower car with a auto for a year or two.

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
What size are your collectors? Hopefully I don’t have any issues with my ARH’s. My engines out so it’ll be a different story anyway. But for future projects if I ever need to drop it.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
What size are your collectors? Hopefully I don’t have any issues with my ARH’s. My engines out so it’ll be a different story anyway. But for future projects if I ever need to drop it.

You might be in the same boat as far as fitment goes. But since your engine is out you don't have to do the balancing act with the motor.

If the trans was in and on the trans mount. It wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread