Need some help. Failed emissions

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
A little background on my car. I bought it a year ago with the Kenne Bell already installed. Previous owner deleted the egr in the installation process and then had the car tuned with a Diablosport.

I had safety and emissions performed when I bought it and it passed with flying colors. Fast forward to this year and I went to the same shop that did the test last year and the OBD2 tester failed the car. The inspector started looking around to see why and after about 20 minutes he found the cap on the manifold where the egr hooks up. (I don't think he really knew what he was looking for which is why I passed the visual last year.)

I thought maybe it failed this time due to a change in the state testing equipment and now for some reason they stopped it for not having enough systems ready. Looking back at my test from last year and it looks identical to this years other than the fail this year. I am trying to wrap my head around what exactly caused the car to fail this year when it has passed just fine for the last 5 years with the current mods and tune. Can someone who understands how these tests work educate me?

Here is a picture of the OBD2 test results:

-414200687-1_zps45b3783b.jpg

Also, any ideas on how to get around this from a tuning standpoint?

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Thanks for the quick reply. I am a complete noon when it comes to tuning. Is what you described something that is in my tune, or is that a setting in the actual OBD2 tester?

03Steve

Established Member
Something that is in the tune. That particular value is a popular setting, due to a description in some tuning software that was written over 10 years ago. The description is correct in part, but when it was written it was not with respect to current emissions testing procedures found in some areas.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Is there a new value that people have been using in more current tunes that would fix my problem? Different values depending on what the state requirements are?

Also, is it just a matter of changing that value and it's fixed or does that value affect other items in the tune which would require a completely new tune to be written?

03' White Snake

Established Member
I'm from Mass, we use to be allowed 2 not supported status, meaning we could shut egr and rear o2's off. Now we have to have all supported but allowed 1 not ready. Your state might have changed your inspection process.

Luckily we have a tuner local that can force everything ready even if its not on the car and still pass inspection. We do not have visual emissions inspection.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
Not sure where you're from, but in TX, you're allowed 2 NOT READY monitors. NOT SUPPORTED or N/A, however, is at the discretion of the inspector. Our cars obviously have modern emission capabilities, so to most inspectors, NOT SUPPORTED for EGR, Cats, EVAP, etc. is a red flag and they will then visually inspect those systems. They can still choose to fail you even if they pass visual inspection because they are off in the tune.

I have my EGR and Cats setup to be not supported BUT my inspector doesn't care - he has an 03 Cobra too :).

Depending on the laws in your state/county, the easiest solution for you may be to find an inspector that doesn't care or is willing to make a deal with you on the side.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
Unfortunately that won't work for me in my state. All inspection stations have a direct link with the county and once a car fails, then it is in the system as failed. I need to find a way to tune around this issue so I can have it retested and have it pass.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
There isn't another way to tune around not having an EGR system. If you don't disable the OBDII test for EGR, it will show up as NOT READY instead, which is a definite no-pass. Additionally, the EGR and Cats OBDII tests are sequential. Meaning if you have no EGR system but have it enabled in the tune, the monitor will remain NOT READY indefinitely and so will the Cats monitor because that test doesn't run until the EGR test has been completed. This is all from my own firsthand experience 2 months ago. I chose to disable the OBDII tests in the tune rather than get an EGR bung welded onto my nice long tube headers.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
There are tuners that have gotten around not having an egr if they allow one not ready. Not sure how they do it, but I am sure someone knows.

GREEKSTANG4.6

Established Member
I had my old cobra fail in Mass as well due to not having enough monitors supported. My inspection guy always passed me regardless of what shitbox or modified car I brought him. If it was a car he thought would fail, he'd go offline(direct link as you mmentioned) and print off my sticker via manual inspection. Not knowing the cobra would fail, he plugged it in and got a message saying the dmv wanted to inspect my car at one of the state's private sites. So at this point my inspector couldn't do anything about it as my vin # was flagged. Scared the crap out of me but the state inspector ended up being a Ford guy and passed me blaming my tune.

In your case, I would try going to a different location and pay the guy off. There are ways to get around the direct link issue if the inspector wants to although doing it with a R sticker is a bit tougher as these guys don't know who you are and may not want to risk their license in case you were a undercover state ins. Rep, etc.
Also, my tuner was able to turn on the systems without having to retune the whole car. Im guessing this depends on your tune type / software.

Lastly, as for passing last yr, either your state changed its guidelines or perhaps it's like MA where they alternate between safety inspections and full safety and emissions inspections (sticker reads S or SE in small print).

Good luck. I hate some of these states although now I just wish I still had a cobra to worry about inspections :(

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
My car required both safety and emissions last year. I'm guessing the state just changed their testing parameters.

03Steve

Established Member
There isn't another way to tune around not having an EGR system. If you don't disable the OBDII test for EGR, it will show up as NOT READY instead, which is a definite no-pass. Additionally, the EGR and Cats OBDII tests are sequential. Meaning if you have no EGR system but have it enabled in the tune, the monitor will remain NOT READY indefinitely and so will the Cats monitor because that test doesn't run until the EGR test has been completed. This is all from my own firsthand experience 2 months ago. I chose to disable the OBDII tests in the tune rather than get an EGR bung welded onto my nice long tube headers.

There is a way to do it. But it would be foolish to openly discuss the technical points of circumventing Federally mandated emissions control criteria in writing on a national public forum.

KilledbyKenne

Established Member
If someone actually has a way to help me please send me a PM walking me through it. I don't know how to convince anyone that I'm not a narc or anything, but I'm not. lol. Just an enthusiast that wants to get his car back on the road.

I'm not looking to get anyone in trouble with the law.

TK Doom

Established Member
CA just changed to safety/emissions alternating. My smog took like 5 mins this past week.

No pipe sniffing this year!

cj428mach

Established Member
Why not just slap on EGR its not that bad of an install if you don't have headers?

My White car had the EGR deleted off of it when I bought it so I removed everything off my SB car and swapped it over. I don't like the extra clutter but I want to be prepared if and when KS decides to start doing emissions. You can make tons of power while keeping emissions related stuff. Now I don't have cats but I do have the OEM catted H pipe in the shed if I'd ever need it.

TXEnginerd

Established Member
There is a way to do it. But it would be foolish to openly discuss the technical points of circumventing Federally mandated emissions control criteria in writing on a national public forum.

You are the first person I've heard that from. Disabling the OBDII tests was the best even those with dealer level access in advantage could come up with on SCT forums.

Edit: And that was only through private conversations. No one even replied to my thread with helpful information, heh.

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Or move to Missouri and drive your car 6,000 miles a year or less = emissions exempt.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread