Need pulley help

CLASSIC MUSCLE

Car Collector
Established Member
I bought my 03 about 3 years ago with 41,xxx miles. I have driven a little over 20k miles and am having alternator problems. The car was modded when I purchased it and has been great for over 20k miles.

Mods are BBK catted x, Borla cat back, K&N cold air (JLT going on soon), and a 2.70 supercharger pulley with an SCT tune. All other pulley's have Ford stamped on them so they are stock (besides the pulley to the right of charger pulley, forget the technical name). The car was dyno tuned when all mods were done and put 472 to the wheels with the mods and tune

My alt went out about 2 months ago and I replaced it with a Ford reman after reading a lot on here about them. I know some say start and charge but I went with the Ford one instead since it came on the car. I only drove it about 200 miles and it crapped out again. It was changed just before I purchased the car, lasted for 20k, and now I've gone through one in only 200 miles.

After reading threads on here it appears the fix might be a Metco alt pulley. my question is what size to get since crank pulley etc are all stock? Should I do crank pulley too? I appreciate the feedback as I don't want to do an alt every 200 miles since I only drive the car maybe one day a week now.

cj428mach

Established Member
If you have the stock lower pulley then I don't think you need a different alternator pulley. I would look at belt tension and make sure its not overly tight knocking out the alternator bearing.

Jensanity

Established Member
I'm pretty sure our alternators crap out even with the stock lower. If I was you I'd give a 3.2" alt pulley a shot. Anything bigger with your current setup and you might run into issues generating adequate voltage at idle. I'm having similar alternator issues. I have been under the impression my car has a 4# lower since I got it back in July, but now after belt sizing issues and measuring the lower pulley I think I actually have a 6#. The other night I replaced my part store alternator with another(lifetime warranty) and proceeded to do close to 10 WOT pulls within a two hour span. Sure enough I burnt that one up that fast! I ordered a 3.2" pulley still thinking the car had a 4# lower the realized it might be a 6# today after putting the new alt and pulley on. Hopefully the 3.2" at least extends thr life of this one. Most people recommend a 3.5" for the 6# though. Good luck, bud!

Users who are viewing this thread