Need Peoples' Opinion

BrahJ

*Note: if in the wrong section please move it.

Hello, guys I'm about to turn 18 and head for college. My dream car for so long is a 03 sb cobra, which (if planned) will be mine in 2 years... so after my sophmore year in college. I'm studying pharamacy so I will be in college for a lengthy time (7 years). I will be storing the cobra at home with my rents, so it won't stay at my college which I wanted to avoid at all cost. But now I'm thinking that it will be smarter to get a 04 GT throughout my college years. Benefits of this is because the insurance will be less due to as of now the cobra would be 260 a month (nationwide), and I would be a LITTLE bit anal and paranoid of the car. Also, driving a gt during my college years would save me a bit of money due to it being cheaper. Though I'm afraid if I get a GT I would regret it so much when I have it when I see a Cobra zoom past me, not see a Cobra when I open my garage, and simply thinking it is not a 4v Supercharged v8 Termintator. So what do you guys think should I get a 03 Cobra or a 04 GT? Sonic Blue for both options of coarse.

Additional Questions:
How much is insurance for your 03-04 cobra, due to mine being 260 A MONTH!? -Just wondering because I seen people pay way less than that that are aged around 20. Note that I've have never had ANY tickets or accidents.

Is 120k miles a lot? -I found a GT that is exactly how I like it when I buy. Though the miles is a bit high.

-For those of you wondering....I'm driving a 09 Accord coupe lsx right now....and yes.. it's a 4 banger..

JbeastJ

Established Member
120k isn't a lot if it's been tooken care of well. I've never drove a cobra, however I got my Mustang gt when I was 19 (21 now) and they're not fast by any means but it should hold you over til you can comfortably afford a cobra. I love my car and it's still a lot of fun to drive even with just bolt ons, no matter what you drive, you'll always be craving for more power. 2v's sound great with an exhaust as well.
From the way it sounds with your financial situation, it might be a smarter decision to hold out on the cobra.

You should be able to find a clean bolt-on mustang gt with under 100k miles for a good price if you give it time for the right one to pop up.

Reliability shouldn't be an issue. I bought my mustang with 73k miles on it, and I've put nearly 30k miles on it since I've gotten it. With nothing other than standard maintenance required, even took it from Ohio to Texas and back no problems.

Last edited:

Adiabatik

Banned
Start off with the GT. They aren't the fastest thing on the streets but are fun to drive. They look awesome and sound even better. The 2V will get you educated on mods and Mustangs in general. You learn how the platform behaves and handles. You'll also save money.

BrahJ

Thank you very much guys, all you said is true, I guess I'll serouisly consider a 04 gt as an option now.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
240/month! I remember those days! Now I pay ~$750 every six months for 4 cars w/ full coverage and a $250 deductible.

If you're hardly going to drive it while you're at school, get the GT.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I'd hold out for a cobra. I didn't want to pay 300ish/month (loan) that's why I passed on a mach 1/cobra. Get what you want and if you have to hold out for it i'd do that also you'll be much happier in the end. If you do get a GT get a bolt-on geared one or you could get an 01 bullitt ;-).

Do you have cash now for a car or would you be financing it?

PC03GT

Established Member
Save your money and buy a gt. You can buy a nice cobra later instead of a beat ass one now. Best mods for a gt are exhaust intake and some 4:10 gears!

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
I'd buy an economical car and once paid off get a Cobra. I did a lot of driving while in school for clinicals and such. Plus, no matter what you buy, the mod bug will soon follow if it is a Mustang. I had a Contour and loved the room and 30+mpg. I actually miss the damn thing. Gave it to my sister as a wedding gift; she totaled it.

AtlanticRJ

Established Member
I'd vote for the GT so you can get used to the power difference and platform

I'm going to have to say the same thing. The Honda has a lot less power than either option you are considering. At least with the GT you can get a feel for the platform and differences.

spike_africa

Established Member
GT for College years. Add a drop in filter, off road mid pipe, whatever catback you like the sound of, a 100shot of nitrous, and tune it. It will still get mid to high 20 mpg on the highway with stock gearing out back, and city mpg will be around 16-17mpg and it will be quick on the bottle. You can even spray a 125 and 150shot on these motors if you are willing too. But for a safe hp for a daily driver you don't want to worry about a 100hp shot will make it fun.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
You're getting some good advice from these guys, the gt will be less expensive to buy and (potentially) to maintain, gas mileage is decent and they have no inherent problems such as rust or whatever, good solid cars, easily modded, dependable as an anvil.

Users who are viewing this thread