Need part made. Who has machine access? lol

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Blades are spindle mount on my big mower. Want to use thicker blade set up without losing the amount of spline in the housing.

bullitt2735

Established Member
Takes a special tool to cut splines, but you could probably get it 3d printed in metal for around $100-150ish I would guess and then just have to clean them up a little bit by hand. (shapeways would probably be the easiest unless you know of a local 3d printing company) Unfortunately I don't have access to either right now other wise I'd try and help you out.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Seems someone could TIG metal to it and respline the thing. I'd guess any competent machine shop could do it.

I see Jody on 'Welding tips and tricks' add metal to machined parts fairly often. The issue would be to get the correct hardness back into the metal, I think, or the thing would wear our pretty quickly.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Send an email to [email protected] and ask him if he can do it. I have had him complete a few projects for me and he has the tools and the experience to complete almost any job ive thrown at him.

If you provide the part im sure he can make it. He is big in the Focus and Fiesta circles but he can do just about anything.

https://www.alexthemachinist.com/

08mojo

Established Member
Takes a special tool to cut splines, but you could probably get it 3d printed in metal for around $100-150ish I would guess and then just have to clean them up a little bit by hand. (shapeways would probably be the easiest unless you know of a local 3d printing company) Unfortunately I don't have access to either right now other wise I'd try and help you out.

I wouldn't trust a 3D printed part to keep spinning blades from killing me...

99-venom

Established Member
I can ask our machine shop manager to see what he thinks. It looks like it could be cut with a keyseat cutter if you don't mind that the splines don't go all the way down to the base. That part you have referenced was cut with a broach.

I'd guess this part would cost about $100-$200 to have machined.

bullitt2735

Established Member
I wouldn't trust a 3D printed part to keep spinning blades from killing me...

It would be more than enough for his application, In fact quite a few industries are starting to use a 3d printing architecture called cold spraying to repair worn gears and make new ones at forged strength! (I haven't gotten to play with those though as they are $$$$$$$$$$$) I usually use a DMLS printer to print in 316L stainless but you could get it printed in a bunch of different Ti alloys also but then $$$. Most people who don't use metal printers on a daily basis don't realize how far they have come in strength and durability. (as well as resolution) just in the past few years.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Send an email to [email protected] and ask him if he can do it. I have had him complete a few projects for me and he has the tools and the experience to complete almost any job ive thrown at him.

If you provide the part im sure he can make it. He is big in the Focus and Fiesta circles but he can do just about anything.

https://www.alexthemachinist.com/
Thanks for posting that link. I might need his services.

Users who are viewing this thread