Need more help! Please!

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Ok newish symptoms but took care of most of the codes from last time.

Symptoms: Fuel Pressure tested when car was on and warm at 49-50psi, would drop when you blip the throttle.
Car struggles big time at low rpms (from Idle to 2200rpms). Feels like it wants to just die. Above 2200rpms runs strong, pulls good, feels normal I would say.
Doesn't matter if the motor is warm or hot, it follows these conditions.

2 codes: P1152 and P0136.
1152: lack of O2 switches - bank 2 sensor 1
ECM detected sensor at rich limit.
Probable cause: Fuel pressure high
EGR Stuck open
Engine Mechanical condition

0136:
Circuit condition Bank 1 sensor 2
power train control module use the o2 to calculate air/fule ration in exhaust

O2 defective
Fuel system rich or lean - check other codes first
Engine misfire condition - repair
Fuel pressure very high or low fuel pump or pressure regulator

Things I have checked/done:
Cleaned IAC
Cleaned EGR
Replaced EGR Vacuum Solenoid and Vacuum Pressure Sensor
Replaced #8 Fuse
Cleaned MAF
Checked Spark Plugs
ensured COP's were seated well

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Yeah as far as I can tell they all seem to be in good condition and not leaking from visual checks. Only ones that are deleted are the PCV systems. I am running breathers on those but they have been that way for 10k miles.
It honestly feels like its misfiring or getting flooded with fuel and has to push through it. It doesn't backfire or anything like that though. Would a leaking fuel injector do this? or a bad COP? Could these be tested by just unplugging them and looking for a lack of response/change in the car's idle? 1 by 1? I don't have factory O2's up front I have Bosh ones, the plug and play style not the wire/splice yourself kind. Those have been on there for 2 years as well though. Thing is the car is still getting 18mpg or better...

Last edited:

K2AHollywood

Established Member
Yeah as far as I can tell they all seem to be in good condition and not leaking from visual checks. Only ones that are deleted are the PCV systems. I am running breathers on those but they have been that way for 10k miles.
It honestly feels like its misfiring or getting flooded with fuel and has to push through it. It doesn't backfire or anything like that though. Would a leaking fuel injector do this? or a bad COP? Could these be tested by just unplugging them and looking for a lack of response/change in the car's idle? 1 by 1? I don't have factory O2's up front I have Bosh ones, the plug and play style not the wire/splice yourself kind. Those have been on there for 2 years as well though. Thing is the car is still getting 18mpg or better...

You bet a malfunctioning COP or leaky injector could be at fault. Swapping them gets hard when its not related to a miss fire on a single hole. If you did this you would have to swap all the COPs to the other side, see if the issue switches banks.....ect a lot of work and all of it guess. Have you hooked it up to a scan tool to monitor STFT and LTFT? I bet LT is cutting its self so you arent seeing the dramatic drop in your mileage. Also aftermarket O2 sensors are notorious for problems. Sometimes out of the box sometimes failures a few miles down the road, just because they worked before doesnt mean they still arent so you can rule them out. But dont start their either.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
You bet a malfunctioning COP or leaky injector could be at fault. Swapping them gets hard when its not related to a miss fire on a single hole. If you did this you would have to swap all the COPs to the other side, see if the issue switches banks.....ect a lot of work and all of it guess. Have you hooked it up to a scan tool to monitor STFT and LTFT? I bet LT is cutting its self so you arent seeing the dramatic drop in your mileage. Also aftermarket O2 sensors are notorious for problems. Sometimes out of the box sometimes failures a few miles down the road, just because they worked before doesnt mean they still arent so you can rule them out. But dont start their either.

I have not hooked it up to a scan tool to look at the fuel trims ST/LT. Do shops do that, sounds expensive??

I'm not sure where to go next with this stupid problem. I am not ready to pay anyone to fix something since I can turn a wrench and not afraid to pull things apart, I just don't know what to start with next. :beer:

Jaysin

Established Member
Your situation sounds similar to mine, i'm throwing the P1132 which is ECM detected Bank 1 at its Rich limit, Lack of Bank 1 02 transitions. I also am throwing P0300, which is random cylinder misfire.

Our symptoms sound very alike in how it runs in low RPM, only exception is mine is fine once it gets to operating temps, on a cold motor it misses and bucks under any load at low RPM. I was thinking the EGR delete I did a few weeks ago could be the cause, or at least part of it since it isn't accounted for in a tune. I have plans to get a new tune in the following days to see if it solves.

Have a question though, do you know what the fuel pressure is supposed to be at normal idle, under regular load, and WOT?

Hope you can resolve these issues!

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
i think it is supposed to be 39psi and if anything climb a bit under load/wot...I think with boost you add 1 : 1 as far as psi goes.

edit:

also would COP's be defective say at Low RPM (under 2200) but work well above/WOT?

Im just trying to decide between O2's being bad, injectors, or COP's.

edit 2: well decided to make a diagnostics appointment with ford tomorrow to figure out what the heck is wrong. Cheaper then guessing and easier in the long run so hopefully it goes well.

Last edited:

K2AHollywood

Established Member
I have not hooked it up to a scan tool to look at the fuel trims ST/LT. Do shops do that, sounds expensive??

I'm not sure where to go next with this stupid problem. I am not ready to pay anyone to fix something since I can turn a wrench and not afraid to pull things apart, I just don't know what to start with next. :beer:

Depends on the shop and what they charge for diagnostics. My shop for example doesnt charge anything and the first thing we would do is hook the scan tool to it and monitor it.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Well ford said it was a bad front o2 so that i am replaced today or tomorrow. Lucky for me when they had the car up in the air they saw my front driverside tire had worn excessivly to the point the tread was seperating from the tire on the inside edge. A new matching set of nittos up front since the summitomos are discontinued i had ran me a cool 500 so things got pricy...but better then a blow out on he highway leading to much worse damage possible. Anyways cant wait to have the car back to normal and running strong again.

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
Are they swapping out both sensors?

no. Just the driver side front. The other code was because the wiring for the passenger side rear O2 was touching the exhaust and appears to have melted causing that short. And I am actually changing it. Between the diagnostic, replacing 1 O2 and labor they wanted near $400...i said F' that I will change it myself and got out at $115.

On a side note, bell ford here in phx was awesome. service is top notch and they had a full snack bar free to customers. :beer:

mustangvsix

4 point 6
Established Member
I was reading it that he was going to change one front and one rear sensor.:shrug:

Yeah I am only changing the 1 front O2 sensor that is actually malfunctioning.

The rear O2 that melted causing a circuit code failure I don't care about as I have an O/R X pipe and don't have the rear O2's turned off, so it will throw a CEL code anyways. I have splice in MIL's installed but because of the one melting/shorting I am not going to bother messing with them and will just wait to properly turn them off and then remove them and plug the X pipe when I can afford it via a tune.

New O2 sensor = car running great! Only a quick trip around the block until I have a new tire to put on, don't feel like pushing my luck on the spare tire.

mike6466

Established Member
if you have a leaky injector you would smell gas in the engine bay. do you smell gas?

one way tp check if your cops are acting up is turn the car on and unplug each cop one at a time. if the motor changes idle on all the cops then your cops are good. if you pull one of them and the idle doesnt change then thats the cylinder that is messing up.

has the car been tuned? my car was doing the same and ret tuned it and the problem went away.

possible fuel filter. but 02 sensor is a good start.

you def need to data log it with a scan tool.

Users who are viewing this thread