Need Mechanics Opinion On Engine Part

robb15033

Established Member
Can you please provide me a recommendation on a motor starter for the 1996 4.6 4V Cobra?
Quality, ease of installation, and of course function.
Engine is stock.
Thank You,
-Robb

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
Probably can't go wrong with a Motorcraft unit, or even just a parts store reman. They should all have some type of warranty I would think.

bumsoil

Established Member
o'reilly AutoZone and Napa have like 60% the same parts in different boxes. (used to work at oreilly)

robb15033

Established Member
OK. Thanks. Wanted to know what to stay away from, what works best.
Prices range from $100 to $400
I was told it was very difficult to remove the "third bolt" when getting the old one out.
-There is "stock", "high torque", mini,ect...
*Really wanted to know if a "high torque" version or "mini" cranks over faster or somehow helps engine life or internal parts, just stupid questions in my mind.
Thanks Again

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
stock engine, just put a stock replacement back in. The infamous 3rd bolt can be a pain in the ass, 99% of people do not put it back. I think its mostly having the right combo of extensions and swivel(s) to get it off. The more I get into aftermarket crap the more Im a fan of OEM on a lot of things

SnakeBitten07

Established Member
The more I get into aftermarket crap the more Im a fan of OEM on a lot of things

Roger that.

As a former automotive technician and now a mechanical engineer for a major engine OEM, I strongly believe in OEM parts. There's a whole lot that goes into the original parts that aftermarket companies aren't aware of (I know this first hand), even with re-man parts. It's totally worth the money.

robb15033

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread