Need Input On Pulling Motor

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Your arrows seem a little off to me. But if you can't get the bracket off take a pair of pliers and squeeze the tabs and push the cables back through the bracket.

It's hard to tell, but it looks to me like you got the lower intake bolts off. You don't need to remove the ones under the rails yet. In fact, unless you're sending the blower out for repair there's no need to separate the blower from the intake. You mentioned you don't have an intercooler right?
36d7ec611e4347d81ab1a5f1a3eec89b.jpg

Last edited:

32ValveStang

Established Member
The hole you see in the picture is for the coolant cross over. The arrows are the ones your reffering to that I need to unscrew right? (also I know there's more then 2 just pointing those out for reference) So you see the two bolts in the in the red circle? Those are allen bolts that I think I have to take off for the throttle cables to come off.
20210311_214059.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

hotcobra03

Established Member
Yes those baby bolts

on the 03 the complete lower gets pulled

Ours we need to tilt nose up and pull on an angle up and forward

weight is around 60lbs doable solo.
I stand on fender

Also tb elbow should be removed 4 bolts

fuel line if no tool
Just behind passenger head is an old school white pull tab connector to use

also remove vacuum hose harnesses from car completely

the engine wire harness can also be removed to side to help.

Last edited:

32ValveStang

Established Member
I'll send pics of tb elbow I've tried before and I thought it was a pain also but might be doing it wrong lol. I bought a coupler tool for the fuel lines so I'm hoping it will work. Should I do anything before hand to unpressure the fuel in lines? Like uncap the gas cap? I'll let you know how that goes when I unscrew the 8 bolts I think that hold blower on.
Yes those baby bolts

on the 03 the complete lower gets pulled

Ours we need to tilt nose up and pull on an angle up and forward

weight is around 60lbs doable solo.
I stand on fender

Also tb elbow should be removed 4 bolts

fuel line if no tool
Just behind passenger head is an old school white pull tab connector to use

also remove vacuum hose harnesses from car completely

the engine wire harness can also be removed to side to help.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The hole you see in the picture is for the coolant cross over. The arrows are the ones your reffering to that I need to unscrew right? (also I know there's more then 2 just pointing those out for reference) So you see the two bolts in the in the red circle? Those are allen bolts that I think I have to take off for the throttle cables to come off. View attachment 1693595

Correct on the bolts I pointed out. I can't tell about the two bolts you have circled. I can't see KB putting bracket bolts in that area, but stranger things have happened. As I mentioned before, just push the cables back through the bracket and you won't need to worry about unbolting it.

The reason I asked about the intercooler is sometimes people forget to disconnect the hoses that connect to the lower intake. But you don't have to worry about that.

I'll send pics of tb elbow I've tried before and I thought it was a pain also but might be doing it wrong lol. I bought a coupler tool for the fuel lines so I'm hoping it will work. Should I do anything before hand to unpressure the fuel in lines? Like uncap the gas cap? I'll let you know how that goes when I unscrew the 8 bolts I think that hold blower on.

There's 10 bolts to remove. You might have to move the back harness to see the last two. Also, unless it's been broken, there's a push pin that holds the harness to the back of the intake. Chances are it's been broken, but I wanted to warn you.

32ValveStang

Established Member
OK sounds good I'll keep you guys updated. Any way we can post videos or is it only thru message? So I can show a real time look of everything.
Correct on the bolts I pointed out. I can't tell about the two bolts you have circled. I can't see KB putting bracket bolts in that area, but stranger things have happened. As I mentioned before, just push the cables back through the bracket and you won't need to worry about unbolting it.

The reason I asked about the intercooler is sometimes people forget to disconnect the hoses that connect to the lower intake. But you don't have to worry about that.

There's 10 bolts to remove. You might have to move the back harness to see the last two. Also, unless it's been broken, there's a push pin that holds the harness to the back of the intake. Chances are it's been broken, but I wanted to warn you.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Not sure on yours
On Eaton
Egr valve on back if removed will help get to harness at lower intake clip

tb elbow

I used a half moon wrench for bottom rear nut.
Made my own from older wrench

32ValveStang

Established Member
Finally got the blower pulled last night. Was kind of a pain but a little tuck and pull was able to do it. Now just need to do the bellhousing to trans bolts and motor mounts and do the power steering.
20210313_175732.jpeg

32ValveStang

Established Member
So update... Nov 1.took motor to shop and its a goner need a full rebuild. Pistons were sharing compression next to each other, there's like a burnt residue in between them. Thinking heads might be a little warped cause it may have lifted to cause that. Just need some opinions from yall if you got any on where to start on this build. Like machin e block and heads first and go from there Or?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Get everything inspected first. Then go from there. Find out what parts are still good and usable.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
OK so I'm guessing just drop and tell them to inspect and resurface or just inspect?

Inspect and report. What are the goals? Once it's a part much be worth beefing somethings up. You got a blower, not sure what crank the 01 has the parts are the cheap part usually it's all the labor. You on a tight budget?

They machine shop should offer and opinion on the major components. They're making most of the money on labor so usually pretty honest on parts.

32ValveStang

Established Member
Ultimately want it to hold up to 650 hp. I think the crank in the 01s are forged. I'll be slowly building and putting this thing together. I just want to know if I have to bore it over which I don't really want to but if I do then I can have an idea of what piston size i should get.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
All Cobras have the forged cranks. As long as the crank and block are good you'll have a good foundation. For a basic build I would go with upgraded rods and pistons with the stock crank. Have the heads cleaned up and seals replaced. Then put it back together with good hardware. You'll be good for 650 all day.

For the overbore it's going to depend on what the machine shop finds. .020" over was the standard for these engines for a long time. But I think Gibtec can make pistons in any size you need. So if you only need .010" to clean it up they can supply you with the pistons.

32ValveStang

Established Member
Dropping off motor next week to have them break it down and have them inspect it. Let's hope it's good news and I don't have to buy another crank

32ValveStang

Established Member
Forgot to add, this build will probably be a yr or 2 yrs in the making. Should I just wait till I have a huge amount to go spend or just have them double check the block for now?

Users who are viewing this thread