Need input. Did I do right.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Could care less about the playing time issue, thats the coachs call.

The thing about the coaching possibly(need proof) being around the girls when they're undressing can become a problem.

Coiled03

Established Member
As someone who has a daughter, #4 is enough to get steam coming out of my ears. **** that noise!!!

Definitely get LEOs involved, and follow up with the local media.

If you want your daughter to play more, there are plenty of options that don't involve the school's team.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Change schools if its a path your daughter wants to pursue. Or kick the coaches ass or both.

We can once she enters 9th grade. We have had 2 schools already wanting her to come to their schools.

It's the coach's call. Either change schools or just let him do his job.
But if something shady is going on, unrelated to the sport itself the by all means get to the bottom of it.
Dig up some dirt on the coach and principal.

That can be done VERY easily. My daughter's guidance counselor, whose husband was the Asst. on the HS team said I was set up...to fail. If they want to play dirty I can.

So the principle basically told you to look into the locker room/changing area to actually, VISUALLY check if the girls were in the underwear? What the ****! And had they been, you would've been arrested or charged with child molestation or some shit after the other male coaches accused you.

I'm sorry, but this is ****ing bullshit.

There has to be some reprecussion here for this ****ing retard of a principle.

He really did and called me a liar because I would not tell him who stopped me and told me they were getting dressed. That's why I left because I did not want to be labeled a pervert or worse.

I agree with you. I do have one question though, 15 year old girls held back "just to play point guard"' how do you know that?

She has played ball with my daughter for the last 2 years. She has been in the 8th grade for 2 years. Also we know her family well. Everyone talks about her age.

Heads would roll if there was the slightest chance of a MALE coach around my daughter in a locker room or non chaperoned practice. You handled it MUCH better than I would. I say call your local news station or a female lawyer. They'd have a field day.

I had not thought about the local TV station. Might get some help from them.

complaining about the coaches playing certain players more is silly. That is the politics of kids sports.

the deal with them in the locker room with no adult female is wrong on so many levels. I don't think that is right.

Agreed on the politics and agreed on the other also.

Point 4 alone would have had me going ballistic. Hell, just reading it I said out loud at work, "That's bullshit!"....yeah...had to play that one off.

But seriously, don't blame you for being pissed...unfortunately, due to politics, not sure there's much you can do about it though short of changing schools.

Good luck.

Exactly. The coach is a very wealthy person and he shares his money to get what he wants. One of the teachers commented on wonder what he pays the principle to do whatever he wants however he wants.

He could contact LE and report number 4, followed by a call to his attorney to spin up the civil suit, followed by a call to the parents of any other girl in that room and lastly a quick call to the press to let them know there is blood in the water. Recap: Criminal charges, civil lawsuit, lynch mob, media coverage.

Number 4 is outrageous and beyond unacceptable.

Agreed.

Tell the popo's about the ADULT MALES in the locker room while the girls are changing.

Some coaches are just dick heads. Had a horrible experience with a coach who actually threatened me when he saw me grocery shopping in a store. He was the varsity hockey coach at my school and the school cop/athletic director called me to ask about the incident. The guy is not coaching there anymore after that incident. If I ever had to go through this again, I definitely would not be taking it. I'd stand up for myself and for my children. Coaches are supposed to help everyone on the team, not hold someone back and favor other kids.

My daughter is going to play only for the high school this year. Today they scared her away for good from the middle school.

Talk to some of the other parents of players on the team.

If they don't do anything about it, take your daughter out and have her play in some independent leagues. She'll probably have better coaches and learn more.

The other parents don't care. The oldest player's guardian was "paid" to keep her back another year to play. The others are just so in love with the coach they would do anything for him....anything. This came out of the coaches mouth during the meeting. Made me sick that he owns these people and they do not even know it.

Thanks for the answers. Its been a rough day. They picked on my daughter after we left. (The girls already on the team.)

crystalwhitesvt

whitesnake
Established Member
Wanted to ask the SVTP community a question. I would like honest answers but I do have a flame suit on if someone decides to be a butt. Here goes.

My daughter has played for the local Middle School ball team for the last 2 years. We have been told she is very talented. How talented? She played for the local high school VARSITY team last year while she was in the 6th grade. I am not just talking junior varsity but varsity.

Last year a new coach appeared on the scene. With the principle's support he took over the middle school team on which my daughter played on. She did very well. Well the coach picked his assistants. None have played any basketball at any level but pick up games. So you have 1 coach and 3 assitants and 1 stats person. So all their kids get to start. That leaves 5 kids on the bench who may or may not get to play because he does not believe everyone get their rightful playing time.

So I wrote a letter to the local school board. I detailed some of the things that was going on. I scheduled a meeting with the principle, per the BOE suggestion, and when I get there he has the coach in office. I wanted to talk to the principle first before I talked to the coach to get some rules straightened out. Did not work that way. I kept my cool which was hard since I was called a liar (to my face) and instigator and a trouble maker. I am none of the above. My wife set outside the office, had she been in there she would have been taken to jail.

OK tell me if I was wrong to complain about the following. Remember this is a middle school girls basketball team with girls ages 9 - 15. Yes 15, one has been held back in the 8th grade just to be point guard.

1. No female chaperones in the locker room before, during or after the games.

2. Doors locked practices, with no females present.

3. Holding out of state practices and not on school grounds practices. This is set in the county rules that practices have to held school facilities. If they were to get hurt insurance does not cover them.

4. Allowing the male coaches to be in the area where the young girls are changing into their clothes. I went to one practice to see what time it was over and was told I could not come in because the girls were changing their clothes and some were just in their bras and panties. (The principle asked me why I did not go on in and see for myself if the girls were in their underwear changing instead of taking the word of the girl watching the door.) I said 2 of the coaches are right there in front of them and she said it was ok if they saw them in their underwear.

5. Only allowing the coaches daughters to start the games and hardly letting the other 5 girls in to the games, no matter how far the team was ahead or behind.

I know its long but just wondering what others think. Was I right or was I wrong to do this. There was lots of other things pointed out but these were the main things.

:mj::burn: Thanks

Do you have an organization in West Virginia that governs high school sports if so then that is who you should be going to.

I'm a girls fastpitch softball coach of a local to me high school. We have the WIAA, (Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association) which governs all high school sports in the state of Washington. They set all the rules and regulations. Some of the things you have stated as far as practices are a huge violation of rules at least in our state.

1. A good portion of coaches for girls teams are male, I have never heard of having a female chaperone for before, during or after games, but if girls are changing and the coach never leaves the locker room there is a issue.

2. Doors locked practices, I have never heard of a high school coach doing this. Kind of makes you wonder what is going on. I encourage parents to come to practice as long as they aren't a distraction.

3. Out of state practices, is this during the season or off season? Is the school on or close to another bordering state? I have never heard of a high school team traveling outside of their own school for practices. Seems strange

4. Allowing a coach in the same locker room where girls change isn't a problem. If he is in the locker room while they are changing then he or they should be in jail.

How large of a school is this? The only time I have ever heard of middle school age students playing for high school teams is when the school is very small. The difference between a 6th grade student and a high school age student is pretty substantial when it comes to athletic ability. I guess if your daughter is the next Britney Griner then that's a little different. Definitely some strange coaching practices going on.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'm just going to say that NOT pushing for changes when it is obvious the school coaches and administrators don't care to do anything is a mistake. Do I even have to mention the story of the fall of Joe Paterno and Penn State? When issues like this (point #4) are ignored, eventually BAD things are likely to happen. But by then it is too late. Definite changes need to be made to protect those young girls. If the coach and school administration choose to do nothing, IMO it is time for them to go. Plain and simple.

This is a potentially serious situation. I say get with the other parents and if they're on the same page, file a formal complaint with the school and the Board of Education.

The other stuff unfortunately is, like others have said, school athletics politics.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Do you have an organization in West Virginia that governs high school sports if so then that is who you should be going to.

I'm a girls fastpitch softball coach of a local to me high school. We have the WIAA, (Washington Interscholastic Athletic Association) which governs all high school sports in the state of Washington. They set all the rules and regulations. Some of the things you have stated as far as practices are a huge violation of rules at least in our state.

1. A good portion of coaches for girls teams are male, I have never heard of having a female chaperone for before, during or after games, but if girls are changing and the coach never leaves the locker room there is a issue.

2. Doors locked practices, I have never heard of a high school coach doing this. Kind of makes you wonder what is going on. I encourage parents to come to practice as long as they aren't a distraction.

3. Out of state practices, is this during the season or off season? Is the school on or close to another bordering state? I have never heard of a high school team traveling outside of their own school for practices. Seems strange

4. Allowing a coach in the same locker room where girls change isn't a problem. If he is in the locker room while they are changing then he or they should be in jail.

How large of a school is this? The only time I have ever heard of middle school age students playing for high school teams is when the school is very small. The difference between a 6th grade student and a high school age student is pretty substantial when it comes to athletic ability. I guess if your daughter is the next Britney Griner then that's a little different. Definitely some strange coaching practices going on.

A. My daughter goes to school and plays ball in KY. KY has an official organization KHSSA but they do not field questions and complaints except through the principals or BOE personnel. I think thats bad but that is them.

1. Agreed that most of the coaches are male. Around here this team is the only team in the county that does not have a female coach or assistant that does not sit on the bench during games or goes into the locker room. A few only have females, no males on staff. What happened that ticked me off was the changing was done at practice, in the gym, on the bleachers and in front of the staff (2 coaches) that were there prepping the floor. They do not even have access to the locker room except during games.

2. Thats what the head of the county athletic department has told me since this was all brought up September a year ago. He agreed it was in the rules/by-laws that this was not to happen, unless the team was considered "in danger." Since the coach and the principal has talked to him, he has now changed his story 180 degrees. He had actually told me on 2 separate occassions before that "closed practices" were not condoned in Pike County.

3. This is both during the season and off season. The coach built his own gym, thats how much money he has, to practice his girls 7 days a week. He even makes them buy their drinks from his concession to help pay for the bills. You cannot bring in your own drinks from home. We are on the border of WV and KY. There is only the Tug River between the states. I can look out my front window and the hill I see is in KY. Again this is Middle School B-Ball we are having trouble with not High School.

4. Explained in section 1.

Final paragraph. In KY, you are allowed to play UP in basketball, IF, you are good enough. Last years HS team was very young. 1 senior, 4 sophomores, 4 freshmen. They (the HS coaches) came to my daughter and asked her to play. They knew what talent she had. By the end of the season ( I was told by the senior's parents) she had the highest shooting percentage and had more points (in the 6th grade) than the senior player, who broke the girls scoring record last year, did in the 7th grade. My daughter held her own. The coaching staff knows she loves a challange and they put her up against some of the biggest players just to see what she can do. I know she is my daughter and I am not bragging, but others say she should be the best girls Bball player to come out of our area. On her being the next Britney Griner, We will have to wait and see. Her actual goal in life since she started playing organized basketball at 5 years old is to play for Uconn or Tenn. That is her talking not us. I only hope she can be that good because she loves the sport. A Bball was the first toy she ever picked up in her crib.

Here's a couple of clips. First is her first HS 3 pointer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB8QoMCx_mA

Second is her playing with her team against 4 seniors and 1 sophomore. She did this same play and scored a couple of times.

To The Basket at MCHS - YouTube

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
I'm just going to say that NOT pushing for changes when it is obvious the school coaches and administrators don't care to do anything is a mistake. Do I even have to mention the story of the fall of Joe Paterno and Penn State? When issues like this (point #4) are ignored, eventually BAD things are likely to happen. But by then it is too late. Definite changes need to be made to protect those young girls. If the coach and school administration choose to do nothing, IMO it is time for them to go. Plain and simple.

This is a potentially serious situation. I say get with the other parents and if they're on the same page, file a formal complaint with the school and the Board of Education.

The other stuff unfortunately is, like others have said, school athletics politics.

Bob, I brought this up and the principal's response was, "If something I like that happens, I can have enough girls sign statements by the next day that it did not happen and that will be the end of it.

So after much discussion last night between my wife, daughter and I, we decided to just let her play for the HS this year and skip Middle School. Especially when the principal told me yesterday that they were yet to have try outs and form a team for this year. Then I get home and all these girls are posting their pictures with and in their new uniforms for the Middle School team. I said how can that be when there is NO TEAM yet. Someone lied to me again yesterday. They will reap theirs Bob, they will reap theirs.

The other parents are Lemmings. Most only follow the money. One said she could not complain even though she was the loudest complainer. She and her mom actually got thrown out of a couple of games last year. She said her daughter (and her) were not allowed back into WV to participate in sports. She would never give me a reason.

crystalwhitesvt

whitesnake
Established Member
A. My daughter goes to school and plays ball in KY. KY has an official organization KHSSA but they do not field questions and complaints except through the principals or BOE personnel. I think thats bad but that is them.

1. Agreed that most of the coaches are male. Around here this team is the only team in the county that does not have a female coach or assistant that does not sit on the bench during games or goes into the locker room. A few only have females, no males on staff. What happened that ticked me off was the changing was done at practice, in the gym, on the bleachers and in front of the staff (2 coaches) that were there prepping the floor. They do not even have access to the locker room except during games.

2. Thats what the head of the county athletic department has told me since this was all brought up September a year ago. He agreed it was in the rules/by-laws that this was not to happen, unless the team was considered "in danger." Since the coach and the principal has talked to him, he has now changed his story 180 degrees. He had actually told me on 2 separate occassions before that "closed practices" were not condoned in Pike County.

3. This is both during the season and off season. The coach built his own gym, thats how much money he has, to practice his girls 7 days a week. He even makes them buy their drinks from his concession to help pay for the bills. You cannot bring in your own drinks from home. We are on the border of WV and KY. There is only the Tug River between the states. I can look out my front window and the hill I see is in KY. Again this is Middle School B-Ball we are having trouble with not High School.

4. Explained in section 1.

Final paragraph. In KY, you are allowed to play UP in basketball, IF, you are good enough. Last years HS team was very young. 1 senior, 4 sophomores, 4 freshmen. They (the HS coaches) came to my daughter and asked her to play. They knew what talent she had. By the end of the season ( I was told by the senior's parents) she had the highest shooting percentage and had more points (in the 6th grade) than the senior player, who broke the girls scoring record last year, did in the 7th grade. My daughter held her own. The coaching staff knows she loves a challange and they put her up against some of the biggest players just to see what she can do. I know she is my daughter and I am not bragging, but others say she should be the best girls Bball player to come out of our area. On her being the next Britney Griner, We will have to wait and see. Her actual goal in life since she started playing organized basketball at 5 years old is to play for Uconn or Tenn. That is her talking not us. I only hope she can be that good because she loves the sport. A Bball was the first toy she ever picked up in her crib.

Here's a couple of clips. First is her first HS 3 pointer.

Robbi Ann3 1 - YouTube

Second is her playing with her team against 4 seniors and 1 sophomore. She did this same play and scored a couple of times.

To The Basket at MCHS - YouTube

It seems that this coach has some control issues.

It also seems he is in coaching for himself and not the kids he is instructing. No coach I have come in contact with would ever put themselves in a situation to be in the same room with teenage age girls while they are changing. He is just looking to lose his job as a coach or even having a lawsuit filed against him or the school.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
It seems that this coach has some control issues.

It also seems he is in coaching for himself and not the kids he is instructing. No coach I have come in contact with would ever put themselves in a situation to be in the same room with teenage age girls while they are changing. He is just looking to lose his job as a coach or even having a lawsuit filed against him or the school.

That was what I tried to tell the principal but he said the coach had his 100% support no matter what he did. And yes you are right. He is a legend in his own mind and he is doing it to allow his daughter and her few friends to play. It's a shame because a couple of them are good also but they lost a chance they won't get back sticking with him.

crystalwhitesvt

whitesnake
Established Member
Sounds like daddy ball to me. You see this all the time in fastpitch softball. I haven't seen it in school sports though. Usually daddy gets tired of paying for his daughter to be on a select or travel team and isn't getting the playing he thinks she deserves. So you start your own team and build yourself up to be the next John Wooden. That's is what makes this a hard situation being it is a school team, at least you have the option of playing up. Another option would be to look for a AAU or travel team. If your daughter has the drive to be great and you think she has the opportunity to reach her goals. She would be playing like minded girls. With a better opportunity to be seen. Kind of off the topic you originally posted. Just throwing some ideas out there.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Sounds like daddy ball to me. You see this all the time in fastpitch softball. I haven't seen it in school sports though. Usually daddy gets tired of paying for his daughter to be on a select or travel team and isn't getting the playing he thinks she deserves. So you start your own team and build yourself up to be the next John Wooden. That's is what makes this a hard situation being it is a school team, at least you have the option of playing up. Another option would be to look for a AAU or travel team. If your daughter has the drive to be great and you think she has the opportunity to reach her goals. She would be playing like minded girls. With a better opportunity to be seen. Kind of off the topic you originally posted. Just throwing some ideas out there.

You are exactly right. He is living his youth again through his daughter.

Only girls AAU team is his with the same players. Him and his twin brother control Bball.

Thanks.

Also 95PGTT, she can't change schools. Only middle school for 30 miles.

Users who are viewing this thread