Need input. Did I do right.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Wanted to ask the SVTP community a question. I would like honest answers but I do have a flame suit on if someone decides to be a butt. Here goes.

My daughter has played for the local Middle School ball team for the last 2 years. We have been told she is very talented. How talented? She played for the local high school VARSITY team last year while she was in the 6th grade. I am not just talking junior varsity but varsity.

Last year a new coach appeared on the scene. With the principle's support he took over the middle school team on which my daughter played on. She did very well. Well the coach picked his assistants. None have played any basketball at any level but pick up games. So you have 1 coach and 3 assitants and 1 stats person. So all their kids get to start. That leaves 5 kids on the bench who may or may not get to play because he does not believe everyone get their rightful playing time.

So I wrote a letter to the local school board. I detailed some of the things that was going on. I scheduled a meeting with the principle, per the BOE suggestion, and when I get there he has the coach in office. I wanted to talk to the principle first before I talked to the coach to get some rules straightened out. Did not work that way. I kept my cool which was hard since I was called a liar (to my face) and instigator and a trouble maker. I am none of the above. My wife set outside the office, had she been in there she would have been taken to jail.

OK tell me if I was wrong to complain about the following. Remember this is a middle school girls basketball team with girls ages 9 - 15. Yes 15, one has been held back in the 8th grade just to be point guard.

1. No female chaperones in the locker room before, during or after the games.

2. Doors locked practices, with no females present.

3. Holding out of state practices and not on school grounds practices. This is set in the county rules that practices have to held school facilities. If they were to get hurt insurance does not cover them.

4. Allowing the male coaches to be in the area where the young girls are changing into their clothes. I went to one practice to see what time it was over and was told I could not come in because the girls were changing their clothes and some were just in their bras and panties. (The principle asked me why I did not go on in and see for myself if the girls were in their underwear changing instead of taking the word of the girl watching the door.) I said 2 of the coaches are right there in front of them and she said it was ok if they saw them in their underwear.

5. Only allowing the coaches daughters to start the games and hardly letting the other 5 girls in to the games, no matter how far the team was ahead or behind.

I know its long but just wondering what others think. Was I right or was I wrong to do this. There was lots of other things pointed out but these were the main things.

:mj::burn: Thanks

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Don't think you were in the wrong at all. It's not surprising you were told you were lying and instigating, school administration can be some of the shadiest people out there as portraying a good outward image of their school district is the most important part of their job and to accomplish that, they are often willing to "sweep dirt under the rug".

Bear in mind that I have no children, but if I were you, I would call the parents of the other 4 girls and present your case and see if they are on the same page. It's a lot harder to silence the voices of 5 familes vs just 1. Assuming they feel the same way as you, go back to the principal and more forcefully state your case. Should they brush you under the rug, pull your daughters off the team for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
It's the coach's call. Either change schools or just let him do his job.
But if something shady is going on, unrelated to the sport itself the by all means get to the bottom of it.
Dig up some dirt on the coach and principal.

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
So the principle basically told you to look into the locker room/changing area to actually, VISUALLY check if the girls were in the underwear? What the ****! And had they been, you would've been arrested or charged with child molestation or some shit after the other male coaches accused you.

I'm sorry, but this is ****ing bullshit.

There has to be some reprecussion here for this ****ing retard of a principle.

oneof185

Established Member
I agree with you. I do have one question though, 15 year old girls held back "just to play point guard"' how do you know that?

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
Heads would roll if there was the slightest chance of a MALE coach around my daughter in a locker room or non chaperoned practice. You handled it MUCH better than I would. I say call your local news station or a female lawyer. They'd have a field day.

nckissfan

Nevermore
Established Member
complaining about the coaches playing certain players more is silly. That is the politics of kids sports.

the deal with them in the locker room with no adult female is wrong on so many levels. I don't think that is right.

Real2000CobraR

Powerstroke God
Established Member
I would do some research and switch schools. Politics and kids sports is ridiculous.

As far as coaches and young girls alone etc. That is bs and shouldn't be allowed.

Sick03Vert

Banned
Point 4 alone would have had me going ballistic. Hell, just reading it I said out loud at work, "That's bullshit!"....yeah...had to play that one off.

But seriously, don't blame you for being pissed...unfortunately, due to politics, not sure there's much you can do about it though short of changing schools.

Good luck.

Sick SVT

Established Member
If in fact there were male coaches in the locker room I would make a huge deal out of it. But I would make sure you have all your ducks in a row before making a stink. Make sure that in fact they do go in there during changing etc. A letter from a lawyer might make them take out little more seriously. As for the politics of playing time, I would wait until high school to be worried about that. I don't think college recruiters are hanging out at middle schools. High school...different story.

oldmodman

Established Member
Heads would roll if there was the slightest chance of a MALE coach around my daughter in a locker room or non chaperoned practice. You handled it MUCH better than I would. I say call your local news station or a female lawyer. They'd have a field day.

This^

The newscasters like nothing more than even a hint of sexual misconduct on the part of public school employees.

Adult men and little girls would just be the icing on the cake for TV. But be sure of what you want. Many administrations will crucify before the crime has even been committed. Many innocent heads could roll.

Machdup1

Established Member
Point 4 alone would have had me going ballistic. Hell, just reading it I said out loud at work, "That's bullshit!"....yeah...had to play that one off.

But seriously, don't blame you for being pissed...unfortunately, due to politics, not sure there's much you can do about it though short of changing schools.

Good luck.

He could contact LE and report number 4, followed by a call to his attorney to spin up the civil suit, followed by a call to the parents of any other girl in that room and lastly a quick call to the press to let them know there is blood in the water. Recap: Criminal charges, civil lawsuit, lynch mob, media coverage.

Number 4 is outrageous and beyond unacceptable.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Tell the popo's about the ADULT MALES in the locker room while the girls are changing.

Some coaches are just dick heads. Had a horrible experience with a coach who actually threatened me when he saw me grocery shopping in a store. He was the varsity hockey coach at my school and the school cop/athletic director called me to ask about the incident. The guy is not coaching there anymore after that incident. If I ever had to go through this again, I definitely would not be taking it. I'd stand up for myself and for my children. Coaches are supposed to help everyone on the team, not hold someone back and favor other kids.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Talk to some of the other parents of players on the team.

If they don't do anything about it, take your daughter out and have her play in some independent leagues. She'll probably have better coaches and learn more.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Youre definitely right OP. I hate those type of coaches who give special PT(playing time) yo cettain people, without giving others ENOUGH of a chance, especially when the team has a BIG lead. As far as the locker room situation, there should NOT be any males in the room unless ALL players are fully dressed. Hope it gets worked out man. This is F'd up for real.

JasonSnake

Established Member
You should write another letter to the principal, and CC all other important heads (make sure to include the CC's in the letter) and use delivery confirmation so that way the principal will know that others were sent the same letter. When he realizes that many above his ranks will read this letter, he may have a change of heart or a different opinion. He may also need to answer some questions from those above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread