Need info on racing harness installation

dkd58

Established Member
I need your help in coming up with the most economical means of installing a 5- or 6-point safety harness for an open road race (Gambler's Run) this summer. I will be entering the Grand Touring Division with a max speed of 140 m.p.h. I would rather not change the seats from stock, and I'd like to be able to remove the harnesses somewhat easily after the event. I do not have a roll bar. Here is an excerpt from MKM's website.

http://www.openroadracing.com

"Harnesses: A 5- or 6-point safety harness is mandatory, with 3-inch lap and shoulder belts.

If a sternum belt is used, the lap belt must at the proper position at the pelvis and the crotch belt must be used to keep the lap belt down and in the proper position.

Harness Mounting: Harnesses must be mounted at or on the roll cage, roll bar, frame member, or body panel (with adequate spreader plates).

The shoulder belt mounting height (or roll bar crossover height for floor-mounted shoulder belts) should be no more than 2” +/- from the driver’s shoulder height when seated in a driving position to reduce the possibility of spinal compression injuries.

Shoulder harnesses must be secured or stressed over a steel tube at the proper height.

The belts should be mounted so as to not cause undue spinal compression.

Adequate spreader plates must be used when mounting harnesses to a body panel. Mounting to fiberglass or other non-metal panels is strictly prohibited.

OEM seats can be used in the Street Stock, Touring, Grand Touring, and Grand Sport Divisions, but proper harness installation is difficult without a roll bar or harness mounting bar

Manufacturer’s labels cannot be located under the adjusting mechanism when the driver is buckled in the seat and has tightened the seat belts and shoulder harness, as this could cause the belt to “dump” on one side and tear under stress. This will be checked at Tech Inspection.

A cam lock safety harness latching system is highly recommended."

Last edited:

dkd58

Established Member
Originally posted by DaleM
Write this guy. his name is Chris and his e-mail is
[email protected]
He will hook you up.
Check out this site for but Chris can square you away

https://discoveryparts.hypermart.net/index.html

Dale,

I spoke with Don at discoveryparts and he gave me some great info. He actually referred me to Saleen as a source for a removable bolt-in harness bar. I'll check them out and let you know what I find. I'll e-mail Chris too.

Thanks, Dave

02yellowgt

Wait, your going to run 140 mph with no role bar protection and a 5 point harness? Bad ideal. the last thing you want is for the the car to role with no bar protection and a 5 point harness your body is not going to move. besides you will never get the belt to work as it should with a standard seat. you need a place to route the anti sub belt underneath you.

dkd58

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
and yet the rules you posted clearly state the harness mounts to the roll bar tubing.

They also say; "OEM seats can be used in the Street Stock, Touring, Grand Touring, and Grand Sport Divisions, but proper harness installation is difficult without a roll bar or harness mounting bar" :shrug:

NewGuy

If you find out more information on this and come up with a solution, please let us know. I have been pondering the thought of installing a racing seat with a 5 point harness, but I was unsure of how I should go about this. I don't think I am ready yet for a cage, but everything I've seen that looks the safest was attached to a cage/roll bar. Maybe I just answered my own question. If you really want safety, install a cage/roll bar with a 5 point harness system. :)

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Chris at the e-mail address above installed my bolt-in roll bar. There are versions that still make the rear seat usable. I just did a rear seat delete from yellowmustangregistry.com. Sparco (italy) is back ordered on their shoulder harnesses. True Blue got me some Simpsons and will be installing them this weekend. It has been a few months waiting for the Sparcos!

dkd58

Established Member
Originally posted by StevePoe
Wait, your going to run 140 mph with no role bar protection and a 5 point harness? Bad ideal. the last thing you want is for the the car to role with no bar protection and a 5 point harness your body is not going to move. besides you will never get the belt to work as it should with a standard seat. you need a place to route the anti sub belt underneath you.

Thanks for your input, it makes good sense in that I appreciate the risk of being locked into an upright position should the roof collapse. That would be a bad thing indeed and could definitely ruin your day. :uh oh:

I ran 124 (max. tech speed / avg. 110) at the Bonneville 100 last year with nothing required other than a helmet and a portable extinguisher.

This year, I'm planning on adding an additional 16 mph to the max. tech speed and shooting for a 120-125 avg. Not a huge increase. this means moving up to the Grand Touring Class where a 5 or 6 point harness is required.

Under the tightly regulated and closed road conditions of ORR I think I'm actually safer than back home on the Chicago freeways. Maybe we should all have roll cages, helmets, and harnesses on our daily drivers. :-D

Users who are viewing this thread