need help with streaming channels to ps3

tistan

Established Member
I ditched my cable today, and I am going to try to just stream everything through the internet on my ps3. I have hulu and netflix, but I don't get history channel and discovery channels shows. I can stream the shows right off history and discoveries websites on my computer, but when I try it on the ps3 it doesn't play the video. Is there something I need to download to get it to play?

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
It would be a good idea to also buy a $10-30 HD antenna from Walmart so you can watch regular TV as well. I did this and stream through the PS3 with HULU and save $80 a month.

To answer your question, I'm not sure what you need to do. I have a 8' HDMI cable and just hook the laptop up when I want to watch something that the PS3 doesn't stream. Hopefully someone knows something we don't...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The Sony PS3 web browser is woefully out-dated and doesn't really support flash video or HTML5. This is why there's a separate app for youtube, netflix, hulu etc.

For the items you can't stream via a service like netflix or hulu, you're unfortunately out of luck as far as the PS3 is concerned. However you can always hook your laptop directly up to your TV and stream those items that way.

tistan

Established Member
The Sony PS3 web browser is woefully out-dated and doesn't really support flash video or HTML5. This is why there's a separate app for youtube, netflix, hulu etc.

For the items you can't stream via a service like netflix or hulu, you're unfortunately out of luck as far as the PS3 is concerned. However you can always hook your laptop directly up to your TV and stream those items that way.

After searching for a while, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Can I stream through the xbox360? If not, I am going to order one of those micro computers to run everything.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
After searching for a while, I was afraid that was going to be the answer. Can I stream through the xbox360? If not, I am going to order one of those micro computers to run everything.

360 is no better unfortunately. In fact I personally have found that even their youtube app isn't very good. Anything that live streams through youtube doesn't seem to function in the YouTube app for Xbox 360.

I'm sure the next gen consoles will at least support HTML5, so it may not be an issue there.

tistan

Established Member
That sucks. My laptop is about 8 years old, so it doesn't have hdmi outputs. I had a newer laptop, but it crapped out last year. I guess I will have to go buy a $500 computer. On the bright side, by not having cable service I will save $1200 this year.

tistan

Established Member

tistan

Established Member
I can stream youtube on my ps3, but I can't stream stuff from history channel or discovery channel.

tistan

Established Member
Well, I kept both the Comcast cable and internet. I went there yesterday to turn in my cable box and modem, and all of the sudden prices changed. I was going to turn in everything and keep my internet for $64 a month. The guy at the desk starts telling me I can keep the same speed internet(15meg download) and cable, minus a few cable channels I don't watch, I was paying $165 a month for $39.99 a month for 6 months and then 49.99 a month for rest of the year. Then after that it goes to $85 a month. I had asked the comcast lady over the phone if she had a deal for cable and internet in the $80-90 range, and she gave me a price for the slowest 1.5 meg download and 20 something channels for $105 a month. Obviously $39.99 is a lot cheaper than $64.99, so I went ahead and kept cable and internet. I did setup hulu this week and I really like streaming because there are less commercials and the commercials are like 20 seconds long. After my year is up, I am going to take my cable box back to comcast and see if they will give me another deal. If not, I will just keep internet only and stream everything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread