Need help with SCT Tuner

finallygotagt

Established Member
I have a 2008 gt500 with 2.6 pulley,offroad xpipe, intake, and a tune that came with the kit already loaded on the sct tuner. Ive had this setup for over two years with no problems. So I had to take my car in for emissions testing in Illinois and theyre equipment was unable to read anything from my car needless to say I failed the test. So when I get home I hooked up my SCT tuner and and tried to read my dtc, but I keep getting the message unable to read DTC's. I returned the car to stock and tried to read them and it worked fine. I then reloaded the custom tune back onto the car again and tried to read the dtc and recieved the unable to read DTC's message. I'm thinking there is something in the tune itself that is stopping me from reading it, but I have no idea.

01yellercobra

Established Member
It does sound like the tune is buggy. Can you drive the car to inspection on the stock tune to get it passed? Then you can talk to your tuner about what's going on.

finallygotagt

Established Member
It does sound like the tune is buggy. Can you drive the car to inspection on the stock tune to get it passed? Then you can talk to your tuner about what's going on.

Ive never tried to even start the car without the tune on it. Is it safe to drive it with the smaller pulley and everything without a tune?

2002BLGT

Established Member
Ive never tried to even start the car without the tune on it. Is it safe to drive it with the smaller pulley and everything without a tune?

I would not advise driving it without the tune on it , you should get with the person that tuned it and figure out what the issue is

01yellercobra

Established Member
For part throttle you might be ok. Depending on how much bigger the new intake is compared to stock. I wouldn't get into boost at all though.

Wildman113

Established Member
I took my '04 Cobra to inspection and had to load the stock tune in order to pass. Car has I/E/Pulley.

I really had no choice, the tuner couldn't seem to get me a tune that would pass emmissions (all the monitors were set to "NOT SUPPORTED") and the car was already past due on inspection since I bought it out of state.

The critical thing is NO BOOST. Only go part throttle, shift at low (2-2.5K) RPM, and keep the engine in vacuum. Pulley size doesn't matter if the engine doesn't see any boost during your drive to/from inspection, and the intake and exhaust shouldn't throw it off very much when the engine is only seeing vacuum.

Finallyatermi

Established Member
Haven't had this issue with my Cobra but I have had an issue with another vehicle. My buick threw a code and while trying to retrieve it with a MENTOR scanner I got a communication error. Talking to a mechanic he said the only way you would get that error is if there is no power going to the OBDII. So I looked up what fuse powered the Data Link Connector and found I had a blown fuse. Replaced it and found the code. I also know that these tuners may be able to delete thrown codes but they can't delete the codes out of your ECM. This means when inspectors connect to your OBDII port they can still see all previous thrown codes so if you had thrown a code previously they may find it and ask you about it. I hope its just a fuse. Good Luck

Users who are viewing this thread