Need Help with my pulleys!!!!

fordcobraman

Venom Powered
Established Member
I am in the process of installing March underdrive pulleys on my 94 cobra...the problem I am having is getting the damn alternator pulley OFF!! is there an easy way to do it.....even my air impact gun wasn't able to loosen it up...PLEASE tell me I am able to get it off....I have already screwed up the old pulley's grooves by holding the pulley with a pair of pliars to keep it from moving....anyone can help????????

SVTLink

US ARMY SCOUT
Established Member
I didn't think yo ucould take it off...i thought you had to take it apart to take the pulley off. I'm not quite sure. Someone else will correct me on this

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
fordcobraman said:
I am in the process of installing March underdrive pulleys on my 94 cobra...the problem I am having is getting the damn alternator pulley OFF!! is there an easy way to do it.....even my air impact gun wasn't able to loosen it up...PLEASE tell me I am able to get it off....I have already screwed up the old pulley's grooves by holding the pulley with a pair of pliars to keep it from moving....anyone can help????????

What side of town are you on? I could come help if it's still not off.

5.0snake

PA Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
take it to the local pepboys or what not. Thats wht I did, swapped pullies for me in less then 2mins. free of charge! Good luck....pm sent!

fordcobraman

Venom Powered
Established Member
hey guys.....thanks for the tips.....I will give it a try and let yall know how it comes out.....Doubletrouble......My parents house is in the Mission Bend area....hwy 6 and Beechnut, where are you at?....thanks for the help yall....

doubletrouble

The Mad Scientist
Established Member
fordcobraman said:
hey guys.....thanks for the tips.....I will give it a try and let yall know how it comes out.....Doubletrouble......My parents house is in the Mission Bend area....hwy 6 and Beechnut, where are you at?....thanks for the help yall....
I'm in Sugar Land. Hwy6 and 59. Prolly not too far.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
one more thing may help a bit (but i don't know why its not coming off).
sprat the bolt with some PB Blaster. if for some reason the bolt is seized on there, that stuff should penetrate it well. leave it on there for 10 minutes or so, but overnight is pissa.

fordcobraman

Venom Powered
Established Member
hey guys thanks for the input....i had to take the alternator off to FINALLY get the nut off!! Pain in the ass at first!!! Runs like a champ....quick ? .... The line on the tensioner is a tad bit behind the two lines of the safety zone...where the belt might be a little to tight....should i replace the belt or is that ok?? once again thanks for yalls help!!

FindemorGrindem

Established Member
you probably was using an inferior impact gun. All impact guns are not created equal. I have a 3/8 in. drive craftsman and a 1/2 in. ingersoll rand thats rated @ 750 ft-lbs @ like 100 psi. The craftsman is smaller and can get in tighter places but when I need a gun with some balls I break out the ingersoll rand.

Users who are viewing this thread