Need help with idler pullies

fullboogie

Established Member
I've got a chirp chirp chirp on cold start up that goes away after a few minutes. I'm guessing it's an idler or tensioner pulley, so I'm planning to change all of them for good measure. Per the VMP picture below, there appears to be two idlers on the drive belt, and one on the tensioner; and only one on the blower belt tensioner. The issue I'm running into is whether all of these are the exact same size and design. It's just too hard to see down in there without taking out the fan/coolant reservoirs, so I"m hoping someone knows the answer to this.

Online purchasing options show 75mm or 102mm, and grooved or smooth. For the life of me I can't find any info about whether there are any differences between the various pullies pictured below. Can anyone help? Even better, where are you buying them? Thanks in advance.

(Edited - had the wrong picture)

0XvFDZz.jpg

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Your images are not displaying. I can't imagine any of the OEM idlers are larger than ~75mm. Looking at VMPs website, all those idlers are smooth and look to be supercharger idlers. The 90mm is larger than stock to take up belt slack with a smaller supercharger pulley.

The big differences in idlers of the same diameter is whether they're grooved or flat and the width of those two options. The accessory belts have fewer grooves and narrower than the supercharger pulleys. BPS has a large selection of billet idlers for both supercharger and accessory drives. They're billet and priced accordingly.

fullboogie

Established Member
Weird, it's showing up for me. Let me come at it from a different direction: have I identified all the potential idler and tensioner pullies below?

v3ZysQq.png

TOWGUNNER

Established Member
You sure iys not your belt? I had the same problem chirping on cold start switched out belt no more chirp. Spray water on the belt when its running if the sound goes away its usually your belt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

fullboogie

Established Member
I'm posting pictures from Imgur just like I always have - direct link. Same as I do on every other forum. Does it now require something different? This forum hasn't worked right ever since the big change over.

No wonder the comments have been sparse!

ZOMBEAST

Killed by Death
Established Member
You have to click on the icon in the top bar, 6th from the right, and paste the direct link there.

fullboogie

Established Member
Yes, I know how to post direct links. Been a member here for a long time, and that's exactly what I am doing. Over and over again.

So with that out of the way, do I have my picture right? Thanks guys.

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Imgur no longer works with this forum. You have to use something like Photobucket or just drag and drop the image from your desktop into your reply.

fullboogie

Established Member
No kidding - well that's weird.

Willie - thanks a ton for that post. It, and the replies, got me to thinking. I checked the blower oil level and it's maybe 1/4" below the sight glass. Then I started the car and it immediately started in with the chirping. So I sprayed brake cleaner (all I had handy) on the blower belt and the chirping stopped for a few seconds then came back with a vengeance. Sprayed again, it stopped for a bit then came back. Tells me it's the blower belt which is weird, because it's a Motorcraft that can't have but a couple thousand miles on it. But I'm going to change it and see if it cures the problem. Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Belts can have issues if they are more "New Old Stock" than they are new. Also, the S/c belt tensioner may be developing a weak spring. Under load it might not be enough to slip, but enough to cause wear to the belt and over time the noise you hear.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Imgur no longer works with this forum. You have to use something like Photobucket or just drag and drop the image from your desktop into your reply.
I don't think that's true. I posted his photo, as shown above, with his Imgur link. I did not drag & drop the photo.

fullboogie

Established Member
Belts can have issues if they are more "New Old Stock" than they are new. Also, the S/c belt tensioner may be developing a weak spring. Under load it might not be enough to slip, but enough to cause wear to the belt and over time the noise you hear.

It's got a Thump tensioner with just a few thousand miles on it. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

fullboogie

Established Member
Even stranger, the pics show up in Chrome, not in Firefox, not in IE, but show up on the mobile app.

Users who are viewing this thread