Need help with 5.4 4V swap

DM427

Established Member
hi mates,

please help me with some information, may be someone already did such swaps and can confirm these points.

I have 2001 Mustang V6 with auto transmission. the V6 power doesn't make any fun. So I bought V8 5.4 4V 1999 Navi engine whole assembly to make swap + bought 8.8 axle from GT 4.6 + have 4.6 2v GT engine harness.

I live in Russia, so there is very few offers for low milage parts and manual trannys. also there is no junkyards for mustangs and Usa cars, so I'll need order everything from USA, mistakes are not acceptable as I'll lose time and money.

I read some threads about 5.4 swaps and here is list of questions for now, which I cannot find answer:

1. Transmission question. I consider to use 1999 Town car 4r70w transmission (see label attached) - I found with mint condition for amazing price and only this tranny Is available on stock in our area.

I hear this is same tranny as mustang GT one but with longer tail housing. Is it possible to change tail housing from my V6 tranny or make driveshaft shorter to fit it?

Questions:

-which connector does this transmission have? will it be ok to connect with my 4.6 gt engine harness or can use stock v6 harness?

-can v6 shortened drive shaft be connected to 8.8 gt axle and tail of town car tranny?

-does v6 shifting unit fit with town car tranny? which parts I need?

2. engine harness and computer question.

so I have harness with navi engine, 4.6 gt 2v harness and my v6 stock motor harness - which one I should use?

I heard 4.6 2v computer can work with 5.4 - can I use PCM from 1999 4.6 town car ( I can buy it with tranny from this car)?

3. which parts from my v6 car can I use for this swap? can I use interior harness and connect ? fuse boxes?

4. the engine has alternator (which I plan to install instead of ac compressor) and power steering pump - can I use it and connect v6 car hoses or not? or I should buy 4.6 2v steering pump with pulley?

5. gauge cluster - should I use 4.6 gt one or can keep v6 one?

6. throttle body and wire - I plan use MMR plates to install 5.0 coyote intake. which throttle body and fuel rails will fit it? which throttle cable need to use?

7. fuel pump and fuel supply for 5.4 - which fuel pump and tank pump holder unit I need? how to connect v6 fuel lines with 5.4?

8. brake hydro boost - is there any options for aftermarket hydro boost? or can use only gt one?

9. exhaust manufolds - I heard that driver side header of 5.4 doesn't clear. can I use driver header from Aviator 2003?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Chrisg2121

Established Member
hi mates,

please help me with some information, may be someone already did such swaps and can confirm these points.

I have 2001 Mustang V6 with auto transmission. the V6 power doesn't make any fun. So I bought V8 5.4 4V 1999 Navi engine whole assembly to make swap + bought 8.8 axle from GT 4.6 + have 4.6 2v GT engine harness.

I live in Russia, so there is very few offers for low milage parts and manual trannys. also there is no junkyards for mustangs and Usa cars, so I'll need order everything from USA, mistakes are not acceptable as I'll lose time and money.

I read some threads about 5.4 swaps and here is list of questions for now, which I cannot find answer:

1. Transmission question. I consider to use 1999 Town car 4r70w transmission (see label attached) - I found with mint condition for amazing price and only this tranny Is available on stock in our area.

I hear this is same tranny as mustang GT one but with longer tail housing. Is it possible to change tail housing from my V6 tranny or make driveshaft shorter to fit it?

Questions:

-which connector does this transmission have? will it be ok to connect with my 4.6 gt engine harness or can use stock v6 harness?

-can v6 shortened drive shaft be connected to 8.8 gt axle and tail of town car tranny?

-does v6 shifting unit fit with town car tranny? which parts I need?

2. engine harness and computer question.

so I have harness with navi engine, 4.6 gt 2v harness and my v6 stock motor harness - which one I should use?

I heard 4.6 2v computer can work with 5.4 - can I use PCM from 1999 4.6 town car ( I can buy it with tranny from this car)?

3. which parts from my v6 car can I use for this swap? can I use interior harness and connect ? fuse boxes?

4. the engine has alternator (which I plan to install instead of ac compressor) and power steering pump - can I use it and connect v6 car hoses or not? or I should buy 4.6 2v steering pump with pulley?

5. gauge cluster - should I use 4.6 gt one or can keep v6 one?

6. throttle body and wire - I plan use MMR plates to install 5.0 coyote intake. which throttle body and fuel rails will fit it? which throttle cable need to use?

7. fuel pump and fuel supply for 5.4 - which fuel pump and tank pump holder unit I need? how to connect v6 fuel lines with 5.4?

8. brake hydro boost - is there any options for aftermarket hydro boost? or can use only gt one?

9. exhaust manufolds - I heard that driver side header of 5.4 doesn't clear. can I use driver header from Aviator 2003?

Thanks a lot in advance!
1. If using the town car trans yes your driveshaft will need to be shortened. I’d suggest going manual trans either 5spd or 6spd
If staying auto you’ll need to get an 8 bolt flexplate. May have to drill holes to match your torque converter studs since the 8 bolt flexplates have a larger bolt pattern if going manual you’d just need the 8 bolt flywheel

2. Get a gt computer close to your year n run that. Modify the gt harness with the coil harness off the 4v harness you have. Depending on your intake you’ll have to extend some other wires here n there. Since yours is v6 you may need to run some extra wires from the pcm to the engine harness probably just for the 2 added injectors/coils can’t see it needing more than that. I wouldn’t do the town car computer since it may have certain pins in different locations or extra stuff the mustangs dont

3. I don’t believe you’ll need to swap interior harnesses just like I said you may need to run some extra wires directly from the pcm to the engine harness. I’ve never done a v6 to v8 swap on a new edge body style so I’m not too sure but I’ve done a few 5.4 swaps

4. For ac n power steering you’ll need the gt hose assemblies. Your rack n pinion should work, also all the ac components on your car should work too just need the gt ac lines, n power steering lines

5. I believe your cluster should work fine but I’ve never done a v6 to v8 swap on these so I’m not 100% sure

6. Are you using the regular low mounted coyote intake? If you get the boss 302 intake you won’t have to move the alternator but you’ll need a taller hood. If you’re using the mmr throttle adapter you’ll end up using a foxbody style throttle body which the cable clips on differently so you’ll need a foxbody throttle cable n just adapt it to fit your pedal or a universal style cable should work too. For fuel rails the easiest to fit are the coyote fuel rails but you need to adapt your fuel line to fit it n you have to figure a mount for the fuel pressure sensor unless you have a return style fuel system either way you’re better off just modifying the stock gt fuel rails to bolt onto the coyote intake

7. I believe the v6 n gt fuel pumps are the same so you shouldn’t need to do anything there unless you’re planning to boost it then just put a bigger pump. Not sure how the v6 lines go in. If they come in off the passenger side with a 5/8” quick connect fitting on the supply n 1/2” fitting for the return then it’s the same as the v8s so if you use gt fuel rails it should clip right in

8. I’d just use the gt hydroboost you can buy them complete with the lines for fairly cheap

9. Get oem cobra 4v manifolds there won’t be no clearance issues with the steering shaft. Then just buy the gt down pipes you’ll have to cut n weld them to widen them a bit since the 5.4 is wider but they’ll bolt right on to the cobra manifolds

I’d also recommend either 3/4” or 1” k member spacers or else the driver side coil cover will be hitting the hydroboost

DM427

Established Member
1. If using the town car trans yes your driveshaft will need to be shortened. I’d suggest going manual trans either 5spd or 6spd
If staying auto you’ll need to get an 8 bolt flexplate. May have to drill holes to match your torque converter studs since the 8 bolt flexplates have a larger bolt pattern if going manual you’d just need the 8 bolt flywheel

2. Get a gt computer close to your year n run that. Modify the gt harness with the coil harness off the 4v harness you have. Depending on your intake you’ll have to extend some other wires here n there. Since yours is v6 you may need to run some extra wires from the pcm to the engine harness probably just for the 2 added injectors/coils can’t see it needing more than that. I wouldn’t do the town car computer since it may have certain pins in different locations or extra stuff the mustangs dont

3. I don’t believe you’ll need to swap interior harnesses just like I said you may need to run some extra wires directly from the pcm to the engine harness. I’ve never done a v6 to v8 swap on a new edge body style so I’m not too sure but I’ve done a few 5.4 swaps

4. For ac n power steering you’ll need the gt hose assemblies. Your rack n pinion should work, also all the ac components on your car should work too just need the gt ac lines, n power steering lines

5. I believe your cluster should work fine but I’ve never done a v6 to v8 swap on these so I’m not 100% sure

6. Are you using the regular low mounted coyote intake? If you get the boss 302 intake you won’t have to move the alternator but you’ll need a taller hood. If you’re using the mmr throttle adapter you’ll end up using a foxbody style throttle body which the cable clips on differently so you’ll need a foxbody throttle cable n just adapt it to fit your pedal or a universal style cable should work too. For fuel rails the easiest to fit are the coyote fuel rails but you need to adapt your fuel line to fit it n you have to figure a mount for the fuel pressure sensor unless you have a return style fuel system either way you’re better off just modifying the stock gt fuel rails to bolt onto the coyote intake

7. I believe the v6 n gt fuel pumps are the same so you shouldn’t need to do anything there unless you’re planning to boost it then just put a bigger pump. Not sure how the v6 lines go in. If they come in off the passenger side with a 5/8” quick connect fitting on the supply n 1/2” fitting for the return then it’s the same as the v8s so if you use gt fuel rails it should clip right in

8. I’d just use the gt hydroboost you can buy them complete with the lines for fairly cheap

9. Get oem cobra 4v manifolds there won’t be no clearance issues with the steering shaft. Then just buy the gt down pipes you’ll have to cut n weld them to widen them a bit since the 5.4 is wider but they’ll bolt right on to the cobra manifolds

I’d also recommend either 3/4” or 1” k member spacers or else the driver side coil cover will be hitting the hydroboost
thanks a lot mate for checking all my question and your reply!

for 1 month I've searched information and read threads about the 5.4 swaps (including mach1 forum Birdman build)

so what I have now:

What I have now:

1. 3560 swap kit with driveshaft, 8.8 axle from GT
  2. 8 bolt flywheel to mount on 5.4 with navigator stock bolts
  3. 5.4 99 navigator Intech 4v engine assembly with all accessories and intake (intake will be removed, used some parts to install on Aussie boss intake)
  4. Aussie boss intake with falcon 5.4 cross tube and fuel rail( with plan to switch side of tb)
  5. 03-04 cobra exhaust manifolds
  6. 4.6 engine mounts + oil pan to clear k member (will buy 1/2'' k member spacers)
  7. 4.6 gt gauge cluster and 2v engine harness + 4.6 gt pcm+Harness from 2001 manual GT (same year as mine v6)
  8. 4.6 Gt hydroboost kit with all hoses
  9. Navigator stock maf and cobra 99-01 intake tube + mach 1 tb, tb cable, fuel rails and iac.
  10. all radiator hoses and cross over tube from 03-04 4v (co tube will be extended)
  11. radiator fan + will buy 50mm 2 row aftermarket radiator

this is pretty much all to make swap, still have some questions:

1. I've got 67000 miles 5.4 engine from car, which parts I have to check/change to make sure engine will run good
2. if I'll go with tune and Aussie boss intake which fuel pump I'll need? or keep stock with 29 lb navi injectors ?
3. I've heard 96-98 gt or cobra cams are better to rpm for 5.4, should I change them or ok to run stock 5.4 cams?
4. which device/software I need to tune up the PCM?

thanks in advance

Chrisg2121

Established Member
thanks a lot mate for checking all my question and your reply!

for 1 month I've searched information and read threads about the 5.4 swaps (including mach1 forum Birdman build)

so what I have now:

What I have now:

1. 3560 swap kit with driveshaft, 8.8 axle from GT
  2. 8 bolt flywheel to mount on 5.4 with navigator stock bolts
  3. 5.4 99 navigator Intech 4v engine assembly with all accessories and intake (intake will be removed, used some parts to install on Aussie boss intake)
  4. Aussie boss intake with falcon 5.4 cross tube and fuel rail( with plan to switch side of tb)
  5. 03-04 cobra exhaust manifolds
  6. 4.6 engine mounts + oil pan to clear k member (will buy 1/2'' k member spacers)
  7. 4.6 gt gauge cluster and 2v engine harness + 4.6 gt pcm+Harness from 2001 manual GT (same year as mine v6)
  8. 4.6 Gt hydroboost kit with all hoses
  9. Navigator stock maf and cobra 99-01 intake tube + mach 1 tb, tb cable, fuel rails and iac.
  10. all radiator hoses and cross over tube from 03-04 4v (co tube will be extended)
  11. radiator fan + will buy 50mm 2 row aftermarket radiator

this is pretty much all to make swap, still have some questions:

1. I've got 67000 miles 5.4 engine from car, which parts I have to check/change to make sure engine will run good
2. if I'll go with tune and Aussie boss intake which fuel pump I'll need? or keep stock with 29 lb navi injectors ?
3. I've heard 96-98 gt or cobra cams are better to rpm for 5.4, should I change them or ok to run stock 5.4 cams?
4. which device/software I need to tune up the PCM?

thanks in advance
Awesome yes boss 260 manifold is the best in my opinion.
But you may need bigger k member spacers to clear the hydroboost I used a 1” spacer on the 5.4 swap in the pics n it barely cleared. You can also trim the coil cover a bit but I didn’t want to do that

I’d recommend at least doing new chains, guides, tensioners, n gaskets possibly even valve stem seals just because of the age
For first start up I’d use the stock injectors that are for your gt pcm should be 19lb just to make sure the engine runs good n no wiring issues then swap in whatever bigger injectors you have when you tune it. As for bigger fuel pump you can get the oem cobra dual pump setup to work on your stock tank with some minor modifications inside the tank
96-98 cobra cams I believe have more duration on the intake so if you can find some I’d get them if not the stock cams are fine too. I’d suggest also upgrading the rocker arms to the gt500 ones maybe even new lash adjusters too
As for tuning I’m not well versed on that most of the swaps I build I try to keep as close to stock as possible since most my customer vehicles still need to pass emissions testing but I know a lot of people use sct

Attachments

• A5CBB8FF-D800-40BB-A9C0-1199AC1AE471.png
    A5CBB8FF-D800-40BB-A9C0-1199AC1AE471.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 287
  • 9889341F-2630-4D24-A9FD-2BE70D4E75DB.png
    9889341F-2630-4D24-A9FD-2BE70D4E75DB.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 244

DM427

Established Member
The mmr throttle body adapter for the coyotes also fits the boss 260 intake
thanks, I chose the way to make side Aussie boss tb location with cobra/mach 1 intake tube and stock mach1 dual tb. do you think it will be good? or better make front location of tb with big size tb? if this way which tb size the best?

DM427

Established Member
Awesome yes boss 260 manifold is the best in my opinion.
But you may need bigger k member spacers to clear the hydroboost I used a 1” spacer on the 5.4 swap in the pics n it barely cleared. You can also trim the coil cover a bit but I didn’t want to do that

I’d recommend at least doing new chains, guides, tensioners, n gaskets possibly even valve stem seals just because of the age
For first start up I’d use the stock injectors that are for your gt pcm should be 19lb just to make sure the engine runs good n no wiring issues then swap in whatever bigger injectors you have when you tune it. As for bigger fuel pump you can get the oem cobra dual pump setup to work on your stock tank with some minor modifications inside the tank
96-98 cobra cams I believe have more duration on the intake so if you can find some I’d get them if not the stock cams are fine too. I’d suggest also upgrading the rocker arms to the gt500 ones maybe even new lash adjusters too
As for tuning I’m not well versed on that most of the swaps I build I try to keep as close to stock as possible since most my customer vehicles still need to pass emissions testing but I know a lot of people use sct
thanks for advise of 19lb stock injectors - in this way which MAF should I use? navigator or I also have MAF from cobra 99-01.
PS I don't have 19lb injectors and MAF from GT 2v as my car is V6.. but I think I can borrow them

DM427

Established Member
I want to make this way
333rwhp as per this car

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 562

Chrisg2121

Established Member
PS I don't have 19lb injectors and MAF from GT 2v as my car is V6.. but I think I can borrow them
Run the cobra maf it’ll read the same then since you’re welding the cobra inlet on the passenger side you should be able to use the oem cobra intake tube n air filter housing
The cobra throttle body should be good enough for now there’s also larger aftermarket ones that you could swap in later

DM427

Established Member
Run the cobra maf it’ll read the same then since you’re welding the cobra inlet on the passenger side you should be able to use the oem cobra intake tube n air filter housing
The cobra throttle body should be good enough for now there’s also larger aftermarket ones that you could swap in later
thanks mate. could you please advise about pcm tune and EGR system? can I delete it? 2001 year easy to tune PCM?

Users who are viewing this thread