need help repairing convertible top

plumbcrazy

Established Member
Before everyone tells me I should just buy a new top, I'd like to make an attempt at repairing mine where the top and top of the rear window have separated. The rest of the top is an 8/10 and if I need to get a new one I will, but man... I'd like to see if I can fix it to last at least a while and devote my Terminator Dollars to other quirks mechanical.
Question 1 is -" What is the original measurement for exposed rear window glass between the top and bottom of canvas attachment?
Quesrtion 2 is- Where along the top edge of window and canvas does the meeting of the two stop and become "open"? Where is goes vertical or becomes "the side"?
Thanks in advance folks- I appreciate the info.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
There should be a border you can follow to figure out where to reattach the window. That being said, if the window has separated from the cloth, it's never going to seal right. We repaired the window in our 06 GT using windshield glue. It still leaked after that. The only real fix was to replace the top.

If your car never sees rain or gets wet then you should be good to go.

plumbcrazy

Established Member
Thanks for responding.
I'm hoping someone will check their car and tell me the actual measurement between top and bottom- I can go hunt a car down locally for same too if I have to. I have a friend with a Saleen Cobra vert (#121) , but his tops been down a long time and I wouldn't dare ask him to put it up for this, lol.
I've known him since he bought the car in '03 and I've never been allowed to even sit in it- no one has. I'm still working on getting pics for another guy on this site.
My friend is the guy you want to buy a car from, but you don't want to be around his cars - he won't let you near them. Crazy, but I understand.
Anyway, my car's garaged and isn't driven in the rain or at night- just trying to get the top presentable for an occasional nice dry day winter cruise to keep the parts moving- it's too embarrassing to drive with the top making a "bubble".
I know a new top is in the future- local guy will do a Robbins sail cloth for $1550 cash- I think that's fair, but I want to replace all of the weatherstripping etc....like the domino effect.
I figured I'd give it shot- Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

xblitzkriegx

Established Member
It's going to fail again. Even if find a pro thatll repair it, they'll tell you the same.

Also, $1550 cash is a little high but not ridiculously so. I replaced mine with a robbins top for around $1100 all in but I did have to wait a bit so he could make room for me.

03' White Snake

Established Member
Ahhh, even if the rear window is sealed, you will still get the bubble. Every convertible, even mine gets the bubble at highway speeds and my top is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread