need help regarding jeep 4x4 front end

mnewxcv

Established Member
hi all, have a question regarding the track bar on my jeep. Unfortunately the frame end of it wore, and needs to be replaced. further, the previous owner replaced the track bar end with some ball joint type end, and it has a huge (like 28mm) nut on top thats so big there isnt space between the nut and the mount for me to get a box wrench around. The part twisted and now has play in it so I'm getting vibration pretty bad while driving. Sooooooo how can I remove this thing? Would using an impact on the bottom of it do anything with that nut on top?

WP_000136_zps5e59b117.gif

king nothing

Established Member
Is this a wrangler or a cherokee/grand cherokee? Can you unbolt the bracket from the jeep then get to the nut? Could you get a socket on it instead of a box end wrench? If you cant get a socket or wrench on the nut could you wedge something in there against a flat side of the nut to keep it from spinning while you loosen the bolt from the bottom?

mnewxcv

Established Member
its a xj cherokee. Id rather not unbolt the bracket, someone already sheered the head off one of those bolts(either removing or reinstalling, not sure which). Sockets wont fit(deep socket is too big, regular socket isnt long enough to clear threads of bolt before hitting nut). your idea of wedging something might work, I'll try it! probably just enough room for a flathead screwdriver.

mnewxcv

Established Member
so far no luck. I have to imagine they put this thing on with an impact TIGHT. my 1/2 break bar is flexing and my impact did nothing. Time for more wd40.

mnewxcv

Established Member
well i got it spinning (with the nut), worked a wedge into the top nut so it wont spin. Wont budge yet, pb blaster soaked right now so I will try again in a few. I dont have a torch or I wouldve tried heat a while ago. I just hate when people think "well this should be really tight" and put it on with an impact with no reference to torque specs. thanks for the help and ideas so far! by the way, what exactly would you call that thing? doesnt look like a johnny joint, ball joint, tie rod, or heim joint.

king nothing

Established Member
I noticed the missing bolt. are you sure that isnt part of the reason for your issues? if the deep socket is too tall, and a regular socket is too short, you could cut a deep socket down to fit in there maybe. I would really try to replace that missing/broken bolt. if that bracket rips off you will lose all steering

king nothing

Established Member
thanks for the help and ideas so far! by the way, what exactly would you call that thing? doesnt look like a johnny joint, ball joint, tie rod, or heim joint.
That is a heim joint AKA spherical rod end. If you are replacing it you will need to know the thread diameter and pitch, the hole diameter (both are probably 3/4), and wether it is left or right hand thread. There is probably another heim at the axle end and it might be a good idea to replace it at the same time

mnewxcv

Established Member
I noticed the missing bolt. are you sure that isnt part of the reason for your issues? if the deep socket is too tall, and a regular socket is too short, you could cut a deep socket down to fit in there maybe. I would really try to replace that missing/broken bolt. if that bracket rips off you will lose all steering

yeah I am sure. The bracket is very secure, it is bolted in 3 other places and the broken bolt is well rusted on the break indicating its been there for a while.

I know the threads and thread pitch and am replacing it with a regular tie rod. the other end uses bushings with a metal sleeve insert and it is in good shape.

mnewxcv

Established Member
You are replacing it with a regular tie rod end? Will that , bracket accept a tie rod end? The hole needs to be tapered

youre right! thanks for pointing that out. I'm going to call rubicon express tomorrow and see if they can put me in line with a replacement heim joint.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Does your jeep have any lift? Doesn't appear to have much based on your pics. If you want to go back to a stock TRE, you'll have to replace the bracket. That might be your best option since there aren't many track bar kits out there that work at stock height or with low lifts. Or try this with a new stock bracket with the tapered hole: http://www.roughcountry.com/adjustable-track-bar-7572.html

I originally ran that kit on my XJ. Didn't last long offroad with the single shear mount in the stock bracket. Not a very good design IMO. I'm willing to be it's not the heim that is worn out, but the hole in the bracket is wallowed out, which means it's ruined unless you weld on some extra metal and redrill the hole.

The missing bolt on the bracket absolutely could be a problem. I had the HD RE kit with the double shear bracket and it would move back and forth when turning, causing sloppy steering and weird popping noises. I had to weld it to the frame to keep it mounted solid when offroading.

If you have a larger lift, I recommend getting the Rubicon Express HD track bar kit with the double shear bracket and the frame rail brace.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Does your jeep have any lift? Doesn't appear to have much based on your pics. If you want to go back to a stock TRE, you'll have to replace the bracket. That might be your best option since there aren't many track bar kits out there that work at stock height or with low lifts. Or try this with a new stock bracket with the tapered hole: http://www.roughcountry.com/adjustable-track-bar-7572.html

I originally ran that kit on my XJ. Didn't last long offroad with the single shear mount in the stock bracket. Not a very good design IMO. I'm willing to be it's not the heim that is worn out, but the hole in the bracket is wallowed out, which means it's ruined unless you weld on some extra metal and redrill the hole.

The missing bolt on the bracket absolutely could be a problem. I had the HD RE kit with the double shear bracket and it would move back and forth when turning, causing sloppy steering and weird popping noises. I had to weld it to the frame to keep it mounted solid when offroading.

If you have a larger lift, I recommend getting the Rubicon Express HD track bar kit with the double shear bracket and the frame rail brace.

All of that. I lived through the same learning experience. I miss my XJ. I wish Ford would build a new Bronco about that size.

mnewxcv

Established Member

I appreciate your input. It's a 3" lift. I ordered a new heim joint last night. The current one is absolutely bad, i can shake and move the joint around the "ball" portion enough to hear it knock each way. The mount hole itself could be too big as well, but I wont be able to see that yet. I will keep this thread updated soon as I get the old part off.

Users who are viewing this thread