need help on tires

kevin

hey all.
i'm thinking of using 17" rims (i know, heresy) on my 00r for the track. the spare is 17", the brake package is the same (so i'm told) as the 99 cobra with 17".

18" track tires are almost double the cost of 17" cause of availability.

so, anyone know enough about tires and wheels to:
1. will 17" fit all four corners with room to spare around the brakes.
2. what size tire in combination with a 17" wheel give me the same ride height as my current set up (275/35/18) (gotta still keep that splitter from total destruction)
3. what does it do to the speedometer reading
4. anything else?

thanks.

kevin.#22,#41,#80

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Your front braking hardware is not the same as the '99 Cobra. The Brembo calipers are much wider than the PBR equiped Cobra. Since I put the Brembo kit on the R, I can not use the aftermarket rims that I had for the '99.

1 - The '95 Cobra R rims will fit on your car. They are 9" wide so they easily take a 275 width tire. They run less than $200 a piece and are pretty strong. They are a little heavier than some aftermarket rims though. Fred at Steeda told me that their 17" Ultralights will also work with the Brembos. They are also less than $200 a piece.

2 - The 275/40/17 are very close to the same diameter. Right around .100" difference in total diameter. Every tire company carries this size.

3 - Less than a percent off. :D

You can go here to compare tire sizes - http://128.241.204.42/garage/tire_calc.htm

Users who are viewing this thread