Need help on 03 clutch.

Silver 03 Cobra

I went to the track yesterday and it looks like my clutch is slipping. I smelled something coming from the engine compartment and several guys that were on the line when I left came up and said my clutch is slipping. I need some help. If you smell the clutch is it gone or would it be fine for awhile with normal driving? I was told Ram makes a good clutch. They have them listed in the Summit catalog but it says they are not to be used with slicks. I went to their website and they only listed clutches up to the year 2000. They also noted to not use slicks with their clutches. They also said to regrind the flywheel. Here is where I some questions. The 03 flywheel is aluminum. Does the flywheel have a steel insert on it or does the clutch mate against aluminum? Is there anyway to get an aluminum flywheel ground? What would be the best clutch?

I have a throwout bearing that is bad. I reported it to the dealer the first two weeks I had the car although I’ve driven it over three months since. I need to get it in because it is really getting worse. I think I can get them to change the clutch out at the same time and save a little money.

Thanks,
Larry

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I've fried a few clutches in my early days and continued to drive the car for many, many miles. A few hot spots on a flywheel will not cause alarm from the dealer. Obviously your car is driveable and the throwout bearing is bad so you may get lucky and get a new clutch and flywheel assembly for free. Good luck.

I am changing my clutch to a Centerforce Dual Friction setup, hopefully soon, because I can't stand the stiff pedal and the shuddering upon takeoff in first. I was going to try to get my dealer to take care of the problem under warranty but when I saw them drive a customer's GT off the lot and almost go sideways, I decided to do the job myself and not let my car get abused by them. The thought of my car being abused by some hot rod punks really pisses me off.

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by 2003 Cobra

I am changing my clutch to a Centerforce Dual Friction setup, hopefully soon, because I can't stand the stiff pedal.....

The centerforce dual friction will be even stiffer. I had one in my blown 98 cobra. I loved it, and more importantly it stood up to all my abuse.:beer:

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
As far as I know, most aftermarket clutches will shudder off the start if they are strong. Thats what I have noticed. But I have only used a couple so I could be wrong.

Got Incon?

Government Slave
Established Member
The Centerforce pressure plates are hardly better than stock if they aren't spinning at 4K+. (It could actually be worse than stock, someone try to find numbers)

Keep that in mind. The twin turbo guys I hung around with couldn't run a centerforce pressure plate because it would slip at low RPM. And that matters with TT's and positive displacement blowers. Not so much for centrifugal blown 4.6's...

2003 Cobra

Established Member
I am concerned about low rpm slippage but my wife also drives the car. A light pressure plate, at this time, is unfortunately my only resolution. I hope I'm not pulling the clutch assembly apart in another 6 months as that will really make me cry.

Silver 03 Cobra

Thanks for the help. I posted on Superstallions.com and I got a post to a link where they have been discussing this issue in the 03 forum. I'm going with a Spec Stage II good for 475 rwhp. Does anyone know if the aluminum flywheel is made with a steel insert or is it all aluminum and if it can be reground?

Users who are viewing this thread