Need help identifying a grinding sound.

RusWolf

Established Member
Hello all,

BLUF: I need some help identifying a grinding sounds when i'm above 50 mph and only when off the gas, when I am even slightly accelerating or just slight pushing on the gas pedal sound goes away.

Car is 2011 5.0
Basically car has full suspension and it all started after the installation.
Watts link went in first as my first ever suspension mod everything else went i about 4-6 months later.

Whiteline Wattslink
Whiteline sway bars
Whiteline UCA
RTR/Whiteline adjustable LCA
RTR/Whiteline relocation brackets
Koni Special active shocks
Steeda front control arms with extended joints
Steeda sport springs
MM camber plates
Shaftmasters aluminum DS
BMR DS safety loop.

I think thats a full list and pretty much full suspension. Car had an alignment done after the mods.

Initially i thought it was the clutch (McLeod RXT) since it was installed at a shady shitty shop in daytona called pitbull performance since i did not know any shops in the area and fake google reviews looked good (should be called pussy shitformance). I really did not trust their installation since those **** installed old original TOB and original pilot bearing and messed up bunch of other stuff including some kind of paper towel in a new oil pan of a new block SMH thankfully i shut down when oil pressure was lost as i was just warming up the car.. FL Auto Surgeons a shop that was recommended to me by few local people basically saved the car and had un$uck bunch of stuff pussy shitformance effed up. All suspension was installed and car was serviced by FL Auto Surgeons ever since I found them.

Anyway, on my drive from FL to NJ it sounded like its coming from the clutch area so i called McLeod and spoke to their tech, he said that its not the clutch since it would not just randomly start making sounds after 5k miles. I explained to him that the sound i hear is only coming on/or im able to hear it when i'm in neutral going above 50 mph or when i'm off the gas above 50.. He suggested that it's a pilot bearing. Ok, so since pussy shitformance installed old TOB and pilot bearing i figured it would not hurt to swap them. So I had them change (OEM high load pilot bearing, center force TOB) but the sound is still there, not as loud but still there. I am thinking that pilot or TOB was probably bad as the clutch pedal now feels 100% better and smoother as before it had this weird click/stopping point half way when releasing.

Now I am lost at where this sound can come from.. I had FL Auto Surgeons inspect rear end without taking gears out when changing oil and changing hub bearings and spotted no metal shavings in the oil. Oil in the rear end now is RP with friction modifier.

I am thinking is it possible that alignment shop did not adjust pinion angle and DS is making this grinding noise? is that possible? I am out of ideas guys.

Suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

MG0h3

Established Member
Does the trans make any kind of a whining noise that increases with RPM?

Wonder if all the extra power has loosened the trans up. My world class T5 started whining on accel and making what I guess you could say was grinding on coast and decel. Took about a week after the turbo kit went on.

However, if this noise started right after the suspension goodies, you have to start there.

Can’t comment on what parts you installed as I’ve never had the platform you’ve got.

I doubt the ds or joints are actually grinding but a visual inspection would solve that.

A ujoint that has been operating at one angle or range that is suddenly changed can def cause rapid wear and/or noise to appear so the pinion angle change could be a clue. You should feel a rumble more than hear it though

The difference in noise under accel/decel is def a good clue and I’d look at the trans itself, rear end, and the DS.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

RusWolf

Established Member
Does the trans make any kind of a whining noise that increases with RPM?

Wonder if all the extra power has loosened the trans up. My world class T5 started whining on accel and making what I guess you could say was grinding on coast and decel. Took about a week after the turbo kit went on.

However, if this noise started right after the suspension goodies, you have to start there.

Can’t comment on what parts you installed as I’ve never had the platform you’ve got.

I doubt the ds or joints are actually grinding but a visual inspection would solve that.

A ujoint that has been operating at one angle or range that is suddenly changed can def cause rapid wear and/or noise to appear so the pinion angle change could be a clue. You should feel a rumble more than hear it though

The difference in noise under accel/decel is def a good clue and I’d look at the trans itself, rear end, and the DS.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
thanks for reply,

I thankfully do not have and never had any noises from the transmission.
literally this noise just showed up after suspension mods and only when off the gas.

RusWolf

Established Member
Hey all,

I was able to take the car for a drive over the weekend and record the sound. I was not sure if it will show up on vide, but it actually did.

here is a video.. That grinding/rolling sound when i'm OFF the accelerator.
Car has full suspension, Aluminum DS and McLeod RXT 1000 HP twin disk clutch.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

XP900

Established Member
You ever find the cause? Pinion gear wearing on the race?? Sounded something like mine....almost a grinding scraping noise that's always there slightly if you listen...like two pieces of metal scraping together. I felt no ill effects while driving...just the irritating noise....if you remove the backseat you will hear it even more. Raise wheel axle off ground and place safely in gear and have the wheels turn,,,fairly easy to determine if it is the tranny or rearend then.

Users who are viewing this thread