Need help from computer video experts

99GTP guy

Established Member
Hey fellas,

Got a thing Im trying to get going. I just got a Sony Hi8 video camera and want to take some videos and edit them and post on the web. I know I need a firewire cord and software to edit. Im going to get pinnacle or adobe premiere off Kazza and d/led it for free. But not sure which firewire cord will work. Sorry this might sound dumb but the camera is a sony. It says video Hi8 on the side and the model # is CCD-TRV68 NTSC It has the 460x digital zoom, infolithium battery, nightshot all that good stuff. So what firewire cord do I need to make this work. I found one on bestbuy.com for 40$ Will this one work?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051806980129&type=product&productCategoryId=cat08117

Any info to help me get vids on the net will be appreciated. I know after I get the vids I will need to host them. I plan on buying some cheap webspace. L8taz

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Dude,

Bad news for ya. A Hi8 is not a digital cam... is it? I thought it was analog. If that is the case, you should be looking at RCA or S-video not Firewire.

Good Luck.

99GTP guy

Established Member
Hey thanks man for the help. I am getting excited about editing some videos. I think a few people said they used Hi8 camera. BTW those stingers look killer. You should get a vid of them in action. If I lived in MA I could take some videos of them. So 1 vote for no firewire cord? Anyone else know what will work???

robiferretti

Established Member
look for a sony digital 8 cmacorder with a firewire port and you'll be set, then get adobe premier a good computer and a lot of patience and you'll be set

99GTP guy

Established Member
oh darn.. Looks like gonna cost me to get there. Does it matter how expensive the digi is to get good car footage? Ive seen them range from 300-3000 bones. Thanks for the help robiferretti

Cobra10th Anniv

Established Member
Originally posted by robiferretti
look for a sony digital 8 cmacorder with a firewire port and you'll be set

Notice he says DIGITAL 8. You should buy a digital camera if you have not already purchased one. Seeing you were asking what cord to buy, I assumed you had already bought the Analog Camera.

If you shop around you can get a nice Mini DV for under 1000 bucks. Mini DV is definately the way to go. :thumbsup: It's the newest video format as well, as long as your not counting Sony's proprietary format Micro MV.

Maybe you can sway someone to buy it for you for Xmas. :rockon:

99GTP guy

Established Member
Man I gotta read up on the cameras. I didn't buy the Hi8 its my girlfriends camera. Looks like Ill have to shop around for a digi. Is the MiniDV alot better than the digital 8's? Thanks for the input

99GTP guy

Established Member
Hey man the GTP is a good car. But I get what your saying. haha. Looks like Ill have to save up for the Mini or see if Santa can hook me up :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread