Need heating options for large area shop.

oneslo5.0

Established Member
As the title states, I have a large garage that I need heating options for. The shop is 30,000 cubic feet. Wood stove isn't an option. What do you guys think would work? Looking to keep the shop around 55-60 degrees.

UncleDan

Established Member
Ceiling mounted natural gas heaters are probably your best bet for a shop that size. They're pretty efficient and throw good heat too.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
im from the south all my life so wearing shorts on Christmas day is normal to me. just curious, why 55-60 degrees? is it to allow you to wear less restrictive clothing, or thats the temp your comfortable with?

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Gas radiant is the way to go. We use a waste oil furnace, but you need a good supply of waste oil for that.

mulchman

Established Member
55-60 is a good temp for a shop. High enough to keep stuff from freezing, low enough to not work the heating system too much. And for us northerners it's a pretty good temp to work in ( me personally anyway).

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
As the title states, I have a large garage that I need heating options for. The shop is 30,000 cubic feet. Wood stove isn't an option. What do you guys think would work? Looking to keep the shop around 55-60 degrees.

Gas heater on the ceiling as stated. I have a shop, 40x60' and 20' ceilings in the center. I have a modine gas heater and keep it at 55 all winter long. Warm enough to work in, in a t shirt, but not that expensive to heat. Don't ask me what it costs, I have another garage I keep heated, and two furnaces for my house--heating bill sucks for at least six months. But I can walk around barefoot in the shop, and change the oil or do whatever I want in comfort

Last edited:

oneslo5.0

Established Member
No natural gas service, sadly. Propane looks go be the leading pick. I found a 155,000 BTU IR heater that looks to be decent. And I pick 55 as a median temp. When it's 0 outside and all I need to wear in my shop is a pair of jeans and hoodie I'll be more then happy. Last year was awful. It's a metal shop with a metal roof, it's now insulated, 6 mil plastic, drywall, garage door and the roof is the same as the walls, so I hope this helps.

Last edited:

YJSONLY

Established Member
No natural gas service, sadly. Propane looks go be the leading pick. I found a 155,000 BTU IR heater that looks to be decent. And I pick 55 as a median temp. When it's 0 outside and all I need to wear in my shop is a pair of jeans and hoodie I'll be more then happy. Last year was awful. It's a metal shop with a metal roof, it's now insulated, 6 mil plastic, drywall, garage door and the roof is the same as the walls, so I hope this helps.

I am a propane guy. But don't know how much help I can give you as we are in Florida and get away with a whole lot compared to the guys up north. Do check with local codes tho I know they are very strict in colder states. Call and get a quote and see what the recommend/what you can use.

Users who are viewing this thread