Need detailing advice..

RioRed4v

Established Member
Going to be working on getting my car fully detailed here over the next few weeks in prep for the Fab Fords Forever car show on the 17th of April.

I've used the NXT spray wax in the best and was really impressed, and I've read alot of good reviews about their waxes and such, so I went ahead and bought the NXT Starter Kit.

The kit with their Tech Wax and some wax for the wheels, so i figure that covers two of the waxes i would have needed.

Should I purchase a cleaner wax to start off the detailing process??

What's a good engine degreaser to use??

Any method that works good on fender wells??

I dont have any power tools for this, so it'll be all by hand.

Any advice and pointers would be great. I'd really like to get that "show car quality" glaze.

Thanks

spree

Established Member
RioRed4v said:
Should I purchase a cleaner wax to start off the detailing process??

Proper prep work is the key to any full detail job. So yes, go with a clay bar first, followed by the swirl remover and polish of your choice. Top it off with NXT or whatever wax you decide to use. I'm personally not a big fan of synthetic sealants, especially on black/red/blue/white/yellow.

RioRed4v said:
What's a good engine degreaser to use??

303 Aerospace cleaner

http://autopia-carcare.com/303-30553.html

RioRed4v said:
Any method that works good on fender wells??

I just wash it using an old mitt and soapy water. You can follow it up with Poorboy's Natural Look or something similar.

RioRed4v

Established Member
ewww..claybar...now we're getting in to alot of labor..haha.

with a newer car are they any easier to use?? i used it on my 88GT before i sold it, and it was a royal PITA.

and you say swirl remover AND polish..?? there are two different products, are they are one in the same?? if they are two, can you point me in the right direction for each of those?

and once done degreasing with the above mentioned product...whats a good product to give it a little "bling"??

thanks for help

spree

Established Member
RioRed4v said:
with a newer car are they any easier to use?? i used it on my 88GT before i sold it, and it was a royal PITA.

That's probably because you had a lot of surface contamination ;) The longer you neglect it, the harder it becomes to remove it.

RioRed4v said:
and you say swirl remover AND polish..?? there are two different products, are they are one in the same?? if they are two, can you point me in the right direction for each of those?

Yes, two different products. Personally I use Poorboy's SSR line and Clearkote VM. http://www.specialtymotoring.com/ sells it all.

RioRed4v said:
and once done degreasing with the above mentioned product...whats a good product to give it a little "bling"??

any rubber/vinyl dressing. Wolfgang's and Poorboy's Natural Look are great.

paulk

Established Member
I picked up Meguire's vinyl/rubber protectant the other week.....if you want the ultimate shine, this stuff rocks....the interior plastic looks brand new after I used it, before i used son of a gun protectant WHICH SUCKED!

RioRed4v

Established Member
thanks again for the help.

i'll have to go pick up a few more detailing products and then get this project started.

if anyone else has any advice please chime in.

i'll make sure to update with pics once i get this task finished.

lmnvnm

Established Member
Check out meguiarsonline.com, great forums and searches. The moderators respond quickly to your questions. The nxt products are great.

WyoTechMSA

Rampage Skeet Hen
Established Member
I use Turtle Wax 2001 Leather/Vinyl protectant on my car for the interior and engine, brings back a natural look, not too much shine, and it smells good to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread