Need Clutch Install Help, Not Releasing - Spec Stage 2+

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
My mechanic says he cannot get the clutch to release after installing it. He says its taking him both feet to push the clutch pedal down and then it will not release. Is there something he's missing here? He's installed the Spec Stage 2+ Clutch Kit, Spec Billet Steel Flywheel, throwout bearing, quadrant and adjuster. He says he's adjusted and adjusted and has not got anywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mustangman36578

Established Member
shouldnt be that hard to push in the pedal at all. i would have some one in the car pushing down the pedal while i was under the car with the inspection box thing off looking in there with a flashlight to see what may be binding up. also look and make sure the clutch cable isnt binding up anywhere at the quadrant.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I talked to my tuner and he said it could be the retainer bearing in the transmission that may be broke and binding the throwout bearing but that's been checked and everything is good. My mechanic is saying that he feels that the pressure plate is sunk back to far but I told him I thought that should be a normal thing for this kit. Maybe he can figure it out. I hope so...45th Mustang Anniversary is this weekend at Barber's in B'ham and I really want to take my Cobra!

2001cobraguy

Established Member
like mustangman said, get the inspection box off and take a look at whats binding up when you press the clutch in. probably wont be a tough fix.....hopefully! let us know what you find......

ItsACobraSon

Established Member
I might also get a new shop to do the work. Not sure how you feel about it though. Thats not me trying to be a smart a** either.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
I was thinking about just letting DynoSpeed Racing do the install since they did my tune but I'm three hours away from them. My mechanic built the motor for me. All the engine internals and bored and everything. And he owns several race cars and owns a drag strip so I figured hed could throw in a clutch pretty quick for me.

I trust him and I believe he'll figure it out cause I'm sure it's something simple but it's just aggravating! If you only knew the troubles I've had to get the car as far as I have.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Ok,ok,ok...scratch everything I said above. Here is what is happening. The clutch pedal pushes in fine. However, it's EXTREMELY hard to get into gear and once it gets into gear with the clutch pedal pushed to the floor the car is DRIVING OFF! You have to push the brake to get the car to stop while the clutch is to the floor.

All bearings are good, nothing wrong on the transmission side either. Took it out and the clutch is not hitting even on the pressure plate. The clutch is scared on one side and not the other. My mechanic and few others that have looked at it are convinced I have a defective pressure plate. What I'm going to do (Unless anybody here knows what we're doing wrong) is order a new clutch kit and then send in the "defective" clutch kit on a warranty claim and if they send me a replacement then I guess I'll keep it until I need to replace my clutch again.

Any suggestions?? Thanks

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
My mechanic says he cannot get the clutch to release after installing it. He says its taking him both feet to push the clutch pedal down and then it will not release. Is there something he's missing here? He's installed the Spec Stage 2+ Clutch Kit, Spec Billet Steel Flywheel, throwout bearing, quadrant and adjuster. He says he's adjusted and adjusted and has not got anywhere. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I had the same problem. Get the firewall adjuster and quadrant from leathal performance. It got mine working. :beer:

mustangman36578

Established Member
could be defective pressure plate but those are also the same symptoms of a clutch disc installed the wrong way (flywheel side on pressure plate side). a friend of mine had problems like that when he installed his clutch and when we tore everything apart found this to be the problem.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Thought I'd give a little update. I talked to American Muscle. Very good customer service. The guy I talked to said that my problem was a little more in depth than he would like to go and gave me a direct number to Spec...which is in Bessemer, Alabama about an hour or so away from my house.

I called Spec. I'll just say that this is where things got a little interesting. I told the guy my problem and that 4 mechanics, that have a history of building race cars, said that the pressure plate must be defective. The guy at Spec wasn't rude or anything but said that was impossible because of the precision in which their pressure plates are built that they've never seen a defective pressure plate. He told me that it sounded to him like a warpped clutch disc and that it couldn't have came from them warpped. He said that it sounded to him like my mechanic must have dropped it before installing it. And I told the guy that was a little bit of a stretch. I then told him that I'm in Muscle Shoals, AL just an hour north of them and asked if I could just bring it to them. Then he told me he would make me an "Open/Ended" offer that since I was so close to them that I am more than welcome to bring the kit to them and they would test it with me there and if it's defective they "would let me know" and if it's not they "would let me know". Nothing was said that they would replace it even though it has a 120 day warranty from the date of purchase and the guy has already made up his mind that it's my mechanic's fault and not they're equipment. So I'm going to drive down there here soon and let them test it.

I've given them the benefit of the doubt and ordered the regular Spec Stage 2 clutch kit (not 2+) from American Muscle and see if that works. I'm hoping they'll man up and replace the 2+ that I have bought from them and then I'll have an extra more powerful clutch on standby for the future. I'll keep updating as this goes along. I will say that American Muscle said they would have no problem replacing it if I could not get it to work but the guy at Spec said it would have to be tested first...we'll see.

Last edited:

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I've got a new spec 2 with billet AL flywheel that requires a very long throw. I installed the wide trac adjuster and quick release quadrant with an ford adj. cable in order to get enough adjustment and disengagement out of it. It's a crazy amount of travel.

I don't like it very much but the clutch does drive well and has lot's of grab.

A friend just installed the promotion 11" disc with their custom plate and I love the way that clutch feels in comparison. That is what I'll buy next time I pull the tranny.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
Ok so the Spec Stage 2 (not 2+) went in today and everything is great! Only thing we could figure out is the thickness of the clutch disc on the 2+ was not allowing any type of release. So now I have a Spec Stage 2+ kit with a thick clutch disc sitting on my shelf, but I plan on taking it to Spec in the next week or so and let them have a look. Thanks to everyone that responded.

Users who are viewing this thread