Need assistance, I am stumped!!

Adower

Established Member
Just got done putting on a stop tech st40 big brake kit. I think everything is good to go but am running into an issue when putting the wheels back on. I put the front right wheel on and it fits and clears the caliper perfectly. I then go to put the front driver wheel on and it hits the caliper and does not clear it. I ran to the auto store and bought a 1/2" hub centric spacer to get it to clear.

Can someone possibly explain what could be causing this? I double checked everything and it all is installed correctly.

The car is a 98 cobra with 23k miles, no accidents. Has a griggs k member and griggs tubular control arms.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Have you tried swapping sides with the wheels, just to eliminate some kind of difference in the wheel as a possibility?

Otherwise seems like it would have to be an issue with mounting bracket spacing (be it caliper end or where the bracket attaches to the arm I guess)

Mark99GT

Established Member
What size are your wheels and what size rotors? How much clearance is there between the caliper and the wheel on the side that fits?

Adower

Established Member
Have you tried swapping sides with the wheels, just to eliminate some kind of difference in the wheel as a possibility?

Otherwise seems like it would have to be an issue with mounting bracket spacing (be it caliper end or where the bracket attaches to the arm I guess)

You called it. I took off the front wheels and switched them, one wheel clears both sides. The other wheel hits on both sides. There has gotta be something up with that one wheel. Not sure what it could be though.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You called it. I took off the front wheels and switched them, one wheel clears both sides. The other wheel hits on both sides. There has gotta be something up with that one wheel. Not sure what it could be though.

Look at the area where it meets the hub, are there any irregularities?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Is the caliper hitting a wheel weight on the barrel? Or maybe one wheel has an old spacer stuck to it?
Weird

Adower

Established Member
Here are some pictures of what I am dealing with. These four pictures are of the one wheel that clears the caliper on both sides.
Wheels Clear 1.JPG Wheels Clear 2.JPG Wheels Clear 3.JPG

Attachments

• Wheels Clear 4.JPG
    Wheels Clear 4.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 40

Adower

Established Member
These four pictures are of the other wheel that doesn't clear the caliper on either side. You can see that there is no room between the wheel spoke and caliper and the metal piece on the bottom of the caliper hits the wheel itself.

Attachments

• Wheel hit 1.JPG
    Wheel hit 1.JPG
    246 KB · Views: 51
  • Wheel Hit 2.JPG
    Wheel Hit 2.JPG
    165.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Wheel Hit 3.JPG
    Wheel Hit 3.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Wheel hit 4.JPG
    Wheel hit 4.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 47

Adower

Established Member
What size are your wheels and what size rotors? How much clearance is there between the caliper and the wheel on the side that fits?

Not exactly on how much clearance there is that I can quantify. However, I was able to post a few pictures that might help?

shurur

Established Member
If the spacer works for you on that one wheel, just use a spacer the on the other and be done with it. Unless you think you need to roll the fenders or something.

Just my .02...

Adower

Established Member
If the spacer works for you on that one wheel, just use a spacer the on the other and be done with it. Unless you think you need to roll the fenders or something.

Just my .02...

If I cant get to the bottom of it then ill have to run the spacer. Although, I really don't want to have to. However, once I find a problem I really want to figure out what is causing the issue.

Adower

Established Member
Got it figured out with 98saleen. The wheels are three piece and somehow one of the faces from the rear wheels got put on one of the front wheels. That explains how that one wheel wouldn’t fit. The rears only have a 2.5” pad vs the 3” pad.

Thanks for everyone’s input. Especially 98saleen who I got these wheels from like 6 years ago and he still took time to help.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yep can’t believe sik industries has ****ed me over again. Took like 6 times for them to get the powder coating right now this. We’re gonna make it right brotha like I told you. 6yrs later lol. The right thing is the right thing.
Also I still get dibs if u sell them. Hell I’d buy them now off u if wanted to sell them haha

Users who are viewing this thread