Need advise, paint work flaws on my 11.

ViciousJay

Established Member
So here is what Ford came up with. They found a local vinyl wrap guy that claims he can make custom stripes for my car that will start at the hood and go over the roof covering the blemish, and down the deck lid like the camaros have. They also have added that they will pay for this guy to put on a clear bra to cover the other blemishes on the front bumper and also preventing me from needing to have the bumper painted from rock chips. Also, they were nice enough to offer to pay my first car payment. All this should run ford about $1500 total compared to the $400 they wanted to pay any body shop to fix the problem under warranty. I think this is a pretty fair deal. I love the clear bras, and I was also wanting stripes!

Not to mention, my dealer is still with me on this and is willing to take my car back in on trade at a cost of $500 off what I paid for it, and will sell me a brandnew '12 of my choice. This is also an option because I have been really missing the leather, shaker and my color dash plus I would really like a different color GT. So Im torn.

Keep my '11 mechanically sound GT with added clear bra ( venture shields) and stripes, or get new premium GT with the options I could live without but would like to get this time around and possibly get a lemon car with engine knocks/ticks and the horrible trans issues.

What to do????

say stuff it and buy it back and get you a new one pronto... i mean really how do you miss that and let it leave?

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
say stuff it and buy it back and get you a new one pronto... i mean really how do you miss that and let it leave?

If I was given the option to have my car bought back and have it replaced with a fully loaded one would I do it? HELL YES I would.

SicShelby09

Banned

I picked it up in the pouring rain from a few weeks ago when it was raining for like a week straight. It was literally delivered outside in the rain. I never got a chance to go over it with a fine tooth comb until the next week when I first got to wash it. Even if I had a chance to look it over in the day, it was hard to see until I got it in shade. Then its like a shining purple spot. I kick myself everyday when I got out into the garage and see it before I get in the car. But with the stripes on there, out of sight, out of mind. My shelby had vinyl stripes, and who knows if there were any defects under those stripes/? My point is, my car is an indoor car and will never be left out in the sun for more than a day at the track or a car show. The stripes should be ok for a while, and the guy that is going to install them said they are the same quality as the OEM stripes and they have a lifetime install and vinyl warranty. I still would like a new car, but a premium GT with brembos and 3.73s and HIDs is almost not out there.

SicShelby09

Banned
If I was given the option to have my car bought back and have it replaced with a fully loaded one would I do it? HELL YES I would.

My dealer did a locate for me, and there are no cars with brembos base or premuim GT for 750 miles. They will not truck one back for me without me paying for it and I dont want a new car with that kind of miles already on it. So I am left with trading mine in today, and waiting for months for an ordered car to come in , or taking a $40k car with all the other shit I dont want and NO brembos. If local dealer stock had more to choose from, then I would have traded this in the day I found the spot. I had the option.

Mika

Established Member
Well, since your options for the '12's are limited, I would pay for the shipping costs of the car that YOU want, and take it when it comes in. If you had another car to beat around on, I'd order the car just how you wanted it, but wait 6 months. If you really want the stripes on the car, then that's the way I'd go for it. But me personally(obviously I'm not in your shoes), I'd avoid that because it would still be in the back of my mind. The good news is that your Ford dealer is working with you, and not against you.

Mika

10random

SVT Lurker
Established Member
Not really a fan of the stripe option. Did the dealer say they have any Brembo cars in the system and on order?

acrbill

Established Member
$1,500 for stripes? CDC sells their glass roof for $2k. I don't understand why you would want to buy a car with that unique color only to cover it with vinyl stripes.

ViciousJay

Established Member
$1,500 for stripes? CDC sells their glass roof for $2k. I don't understand why you would want to buy a car with that unique color only to cover it with vinyl stripes.

This!

SicShelb seriously man i dont understand how the factory let the car go out like that. Dont do the stripes, honestly man DONT DO IT. Your gonna get sick of the stripes and then what... YOUR ****ed... just let them buy the car back, or add the glass roof

SicShelby09

Banned
This!

SicShelb seriously man i dont understand how the factory let the car go out like that. Dont do the stripes, honestly man DONT DO IT. Your gonna get sick of the stripes and then what... YOUR ****ed... just let them buy the car back, or add the glass roof

The glass roof is not possible without chopping the shit out of the car. The ford rep said that the glass roof cars have a different chassis and they would not do one for me unless it was aftermarket. Also the $1500 is not just for the stripes. Its for the stripes, clear bra and the first car payment. Thats total spent compared to the $400 they would spend to have it fixed. No body would touch it for less than $2k. As for the buy back, that also does not exist. It would be trading it in for a few hundred less than what I paid. No big deal, but again, there are no brembo GTs out there within a 750 mile radius that are on the lower end of the $30ks. There are a few out there that are over $40k because of nav and other shit. I only want a base GT or premium GT with brembos, 3.73s and HIDs. None like that are available. And a factory order would take months. I would be without a car, not to mention that I would miss the whole summer.

ViciousJay

Established Member
The glass roof is not possible without chopping the shit out of the car. The ford rep said that the glass roof cars have a different chassis and they would not do one for me unless it was aftermarket. Also the $1500 is not just for the stripes. Its for the stripes, clear bra and the first car payment. Thats total spent compared to the $400 they would spend to have it fixed. No body would touch it for less than $2k. As for the buy back, that also does not exist. It would be trading it in for a few hundred less than what I paid. No big deal, but again, there are no brembo GTs out there within a 750 mile radius that are on the lower end of the $30ks. There are a few out there that are over $40k because of nav and other shit. I only want a base GT or premium GT with brembos, 3.73s and HIDs. None like that are available. And a factory order would take months. I would be without a car, not to mention that I would miss the whole summer.

ok then, personally if the wait is that important then hey do the stripes, i personally would send it back to ford and wait it out, hell ill sell you mine, i dont have the brembo brakes (which by the way are no better then the stockers) and the HIDs well i have aftermarket ones, ill give you all the stock parts and all plus all my aftermarket. also i have the brembo wheels.. take mine instead.

Last edited:

01silverstang

Established Member
So Im still working with Ford on this. They are considering several options. What is everyones opinions??

1. Painted on stripes. Still they would need to pull all the glass and the mouldings from the car, defeating the purpose of what I DIDN'T want done.

2. Vinyl stripes. A quick fix, and may completely cover the blemish on the roof, but will literally be a bandaid. They are also considering some sort of monetary settlement or some big gifts from FRPP because its not really a fix. Nice idea, and I think gloss black stripes would look good.

3. Actually painting it to the stock color. This would be ok too, but they only want to pay about $400 under warranty to the body shop that does this, and guess what....NO local shop wants to even attempt it for less than $2k due to the rare tricoat color. I dont blame them. Plus I dont want a ton of paint work on my brandnew car.

4. Buy the car back all together. Best case senario normally, accept there are no more base '11s out there with manual, brembos and 3.73s. The last one sold a few days ago, and I missed it because Ford is dragging their feet. So now I would be looking at ordering a '12, and guess what......the lead time for delivery is almost 6 months. There are pages and pages out online of guys waiting that time to get '12s now. That would put the delivery into winter. And the other catch is that I would have to give the '11 back NOW. So no car at all until then. That is totally NOT an option. They would not give me a loaner or pay for a rental.

5. Tell me to live with it because no body shops will touch it for their money, and then I sue them for a lot more coin than its worth to them. Luckily for me, I have a family member that is an attorney and SPECIALIZES in these type of cases. This is a last straw thing, and Im normally not this type of person.

So what are the opinions on this?

Well to preface this I'm in a similar situation in that this summer I will choosing to either order a 2012 GT to my specs or will be picking up a used 10' GT500. So with that said if I do go the route of ordering a 2012 GT, and upon delivery I found out within a week that my tricoat paint job had that horrible of a blemish... I would not be settlin for anything less than a buyback, or straight up trade for a comparably equipped car plus something to make up for my wasted time and having to wait for the new car.

1. Paint on stripes option, is exactly what you said... something you did not want done... paintwork.

2. Possibly the worst option because as others have pointed out, they actually fix nothing and just cover it with vinyl... run, don't walk, from this option.

3. Still not a great option as the repaint would be linked to the VIN and would make the vehicle worth less than had it not been repainted. I would only go this route if I had a paint shop I trusted, Ford was paying whatever it cost to get the paint right, and three Ford compensates you for diminished value through FRPP.

4. Best option. Unless you wanted a an exact replica they should replace your car with another, and if they can't find the same model... find the next one up from yours and give it to you for the same price.

5. Not a great option either, but probably your 2nd best option the buyback. You can continue to drive the car while sueing them, keep that in mind. So while the legal battle might initially be a headache, you wouldn't lose your car during the fight. Ford would most likely settle rather quickly than go to court over it.

Keep in mind while you enjoy Ford's products, they aren't your friend or old buddy, they are a company designed to make money. How this ever left the factory without someone going over the car prior to being shipped is beyond me. This is a brand new $30k car, and you should remember that as you seek a solution. If the shoe was on the other foot Ford would let you have it. Good luck!

SicShelby09

Banned
ok then, personally if the wait is that important then hey do the stripes, i personally would send it back to ford and wait it out, hell ill sell you mine, i dont have the brembo brakes (which by the way are no better then the stockers) and the HIDs well i have aftermarket ones, ill give you all the stock parts and all plus all my aftermarket. also i have the brembo wheels.. take mine instead.

Ok Im lost. So are you asking me to buy your car? I was going to do the bixenon hids too, they are easy and cheap. The big things I would want is the built in sirius and the shaker system. But now there is an aftermarket radio bezel that will allow you to do an aftermarket nav system.

JL-KA

Established Member
I wouldn't accept vinyl stripes even if I wanted them. It doesn't fix the problem, plain and simple. I would order a '12 and have them lease you a car in the meantime. Obviously they would have to do a special short term lease and wave all down payments and security deposits and pay ttl. That way you can save a few hundred bucks and throw on a catback whed your car gets delivered.

Last edited:

ViciousJay

Established Member
Ok Im lost. So are you asking me to buy your car? I was going to do the bixenon hids too, they are easy and cheap. The big things I would want is the built in sirius and the shaker system. But now there is an aftermarket radio bezel that will allow you to do an aftermarket nav system.

kidding man, i was kidding around saying you should sell it back to ford and buy mine, btw that nav stuff you posted looks SICK!!!!, looks like that stuff is in my future

SicShelby09

Banned
Well to preface this I'm in a similar situation in that this summer I will choosing to either order a 2012 GT to my specs or will be picking up a used 10' GT500. So with that said if I do go the route of ordering a 2012 GT, and upon delivery I found out within a week that my tricoat paint job had that horrible of a blemish... I would not be settlin for anything less than a buyback, or straight up trade for a comparably equipped car plus something to make up for my wasted time and having to wait for the new car.

1. Paint on stripes option, is exactly what you said... something you did not want done... paintwork.

2. Possibly the worst option because as others have pointed out, they actually fix nothing and just cover it with vinyl... run, don't walk, from this option.

3. Still not a great option as the repaint would be linked to the VIN and would make the vehicle worth less than had it not been repainted. I would only go this route if I had a paint shop I trusted, Ford was paying whatever it cost to get the paint right, and three Ford compensates you for diminished value through FRPP.

4. Best option. Unless you wanted a an exact replica they should replace your car with another, and if they can't find the same model... find the next one up from yours and give it to you for the same price.

5. Not a great option either, but probably your 2nd best option the buyback. You can continue to drive the car while sueing them, keep that in mind. So while the legal battle might initially be a headache, you wouldn't lose your car during the fight. Ford would most likely settle rather quickly than go to court over it.

Keep in mind while you enjoy Ford's products, they aren't your friend or old buddy, they are a company designed to make money. How this ever left the factory without someone going over the car prior to being shipped is beyond me. This is a brand new $30k car, and you should remember that as you seek a solution. If the shoe was on the other foot Ford would let you have it. Good luck!

Man, I worked with the nicest lady from ford, and one of the nicest dealers out there. But Ford would not budge for me. My options are as follows.

1. As you know, the vinyl stripes, the clear bra and the free payment.

2. Trade it in and take a very small hit, then wait for a car to be ordered....

3. Sue them and see what happens.

At this point, which I think ford was banking on, Im tired of this back and forth with them. I am ready to start enjoying my new car, and doing mods to it. But to start a legal battle with them will take more money than I have and there is still no guaranty that I will come out on top. I do like my car, and am still saving a ton of cash per month with the base car. Plus the fact that I can do the aftermarket nav now, and the hids too will make this car much more enjoyable. And like I said, I wanted stripes and the clear bra and would have bought them anyway. The blemish sucks, but I will be out of sight for good and there will be no record of all of this so there will be no diminished value. Just a very rare color GT with tasteful matte black stripes. They also have a material and install lifetime warranty.

Im pretty happy with getting the stripes, and I know you guys want the buy back but trust me Ford will not do it. They only wanted to spend $400 to have it fixed under warranty. Im am getting a great deal and I still get to keep this awesome car.

01silverstang

Established Member
Man, I worked with the nicest lady from ford, and one of the nicest dealers out there. But Ford would not budge for me. My options are as follows.

1. As you know, the vinyl stripes, the clear bra and the free payment.

2. Trade it in and take a very small hit, then wait for a car to be ordered....

3. Sue them and see what happens.

At this point, which I think ford was banking on, Im tired of this back and forth with them. I am ready to start enjoying my new car, and doing mods to it. But to start a legal battle with them will take more money than I have and there is still no guaranty that I will come out on top. I do like my car, and am still saving a ton of cash per month with the base car. Plus the fact that I can do the aftermarket nav now, and the hids too will make this car much more enjoyable. And like I said, I wanted stripes and the clear bra and would have bought them anyway. The blemish sucks, but I will be out of sight for good and there will be no record of all of this so there will be no diminished value. Just a very rare color GT with tasteful matte black stripes. They also have a material and install lifetime warranty.

Im pretty happy with getting the stripes, and I know you guys want the buy back but trust me Ford will not do it. They only wanted to spend $400 to have it fixed under warranty. Im am getting a great deal and I still get to keep this awesome car.

Looks like you answered your own question then. You stated you had a family member who specialized in this type of lawsuit. So where is this out of pocket cost? Most lawyers would do this pro-bono on the stipulation that your legal fees be included in whatever settlement or award you got against Ford.

For the average person the second most expensive thing you will ever buy next to a house is your vehicle. Being as such, when a company delivers such an expensive product with a pretty horrid looking paint flaw on the roof of the car that's a huge problem. You are the one spending the money on this car, I know I personally would not be satisfied paying what I paid and getting less than that. You paid for a car with a correct paint job and received something way different.

1. Band Aid on a still f'ed up car, and some small compensation

2. Paying them more for their mistake than you already have

3. Making them take care of the mistake and you for being put through this

If you are ok with number one I will try to refrain from expressing my thoughts on that choice further.

SicShelby09

Banned
Looks like you answered your own question then. You stated you had a family member who specialized in this type of lawsuit. So where is this out of pocket cost? Most lawyers would do this pro-bono on the stipulation that your legal fees be included in whatever settlement or award you got against Ford.

For the average person the second most expensive thing you will ever buy next to a house is your vehicle. Being as such, when a company delivers such an expensive product with a pretty horrid looking paint flaw on the roof of the car that's a huge problem. You are the one spending the money on this car, I know I personally would not be satisfied paying what I paid and getting less than that. You paid for a car with a correct paint job and received something way different.

1. Band Aid on a still f'ed up car, and some small compensation

2. Paying them more for their mistake than you already have

3. Making them take care of the mistake and you for being put through this

If you are ok with number one I will try to refrain from expressing my thoughts on that choice further.

I just got off the phone with my rep, and they are starting to get nasty. They will not budge on this, and my only other option is to sue besides the stripes. I know what you guys are saying. I talked to three laywers, and none of them want to do this pro-bono. I would be paying all the legal fees up front and then they would take their cut after I would win. But I think I am going to give up here. I am so mentally tired of thinking about this and arguing with them over it. Two of the lawyers said to let them fix it a few times then try to lemon law it. Thats an option too, but I'd rather have the stripes. It will look great and nobody but me and you guys would ever know its there. Dont hate on me for wanting to move on from this. Its been stressing me out since 3 weeks ago I found it. Other than that, the car is awesome. Im going to get that nav system and HIDs and a few other things. Then the blower will come next year. Thanks for all the opinions, but its not worth the fight to continue....:xpl:

ViciousJay

Established Member
I just got off the phone with my rep, and they are starting to get nasty. They will not budge on this, and my only other option is to sue besides the stripes. I know what you guys are saying. I talked to three laywers, and none of them want to do this pro-bono. I would be paying all the legal fees up front and then they would take their cut after I would win. But I think I am going to give up here. I am so mentally tired of thinking about this and arguing with them over it. Two of the lawyers said to let them fix it a few times then try to lemon law it. Thats an option too, but I'd rather have the stripes. It will look great and nobody but me and you guys would ever know its there. Dont hate on me for wanting to move on from this. Its been stressing me out since 3 weeks ago I found it. Other than that, the car is awesome. Im going to get that nav system and HIDs and a few other things. Then the blower will come next year. Thanks for all the opinions, but its not worth the fight to continue....:xpl:

pay up front then, this is BS... FORD owes you sorry ford but your wrong on this.... Sic you have a case that can be won here

Ray Lucca

Established Member
OK, take a deep breath, and a step back...
These are some facts for you. I talked to a friend who is the factory rep for 1 of the approved paint suppliers Ford uses. Your problem shouldn't have gotten out of the factory, but it did..1. Have them re-paint it, it is guaranteed. Talked to several high end body shop Reps last Sat at Cars/ Coffee, they said no problem to match and back it up. New paint is easy to match. 2. If you want stripes, get them but only if you really want them. 3. Order a new '12 the way you want it, and try to get Ford to let you drive your car until it comes in. That behooves them to expedite the production. I had the Bumper re-shot on my Terminator before delivery and it came out perfect...A good Body shop, or the Dealers, can take care of your problem. Good luck.....

Last edited:

01silverstang

Established Member
OK, take a deep breath, and a step back...
These are some facts for you. I talked to a friend who is the factory rep for 1 of the approved paint suppliers Ford uses. Your problem shouldn't have gotten out of the factory, but it did..1. Have them re-paint it, it is guaranteed. Talked to several high end body shop Reps last Sat at Cars/ Coffee, they said no problem to match and back it up. New paint is easy to match. 2. If you want stripes, get them but only if you really want them. 3. Order a new '12 the way you want it, and try to get Ford to let you drive your car until it comes in. That behooves them to expedite the production. I had the Bumper re-shot on my Terminator before delivery and it came out perfect...A good Body shop, or the Dealers, can take care of your problem. Good luck.....

Agree with this post. Some things in life make more sense to shake your head, walk away, and just move on. When something is this large, to me at least, it's worth it to take action.

If you had noticed this pre-delivery I highly doubt you would have accepted it. Due to the fact that it was raining, and being as the car was new and not used… most people would assume the paint would be acceptable. When you discovered it wasn't within the first week… and then Ford didn't want to make it right, they then took it to the level you are at now.

I'm going to seriously doubt your intelligence level when it comes to business matters if you let them put some cheap vinyl over the paint screw up and you let them off.

Users who are viewing this thread